Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Who is your carrier? (I would go with full coverage)
Most carriers provide a few different warranty and insurance plans. I'm with Verizon and pay just over 5 bucks a month (with my corporate discount) for complete coverage, Coverage includes lost/stolen, physical damage and water damage.
FT7MQ0m.png

Most plans cost anywhere from 5-9 bucks a month depending who your carrier is and the level of insurance coverage.

tap'n

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I believe VZW insurance is month to month.

OP
K

karte

Reaction score
I called Verizon to get the WPP, the first person said sorry you are late by 1 day. I called again, this time nobody asked any questions, but tried to sell me the $10 and $8 plan, I was told the $5 plan covers only lost or stolen, NOT damaged. I got the $5 plan, later went to my account online to verify and under WPP feature description I found this:
Asurion Wireless Phone Protection (WPP)
Asurion Wireless Phone Protection (WPP)Asurion, a third-party licensed insurance agency, offers insurance coverage for your wireless device and certain standard accessories. If you have Wireless Phone Protection and your device is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged (including liquid and physical damage), you may file your claim with the Asurion within 60 days of the incident and the device will be replaced upon claim approval.

The more you know...

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
That's a general statement. If you file a damage claim, they will most likely decline it as you did not opt for the coverage.

nalgon

Reaction score
I called Verizon to get the WPP, the first person said sorry you are late by 1 day. I called again, this time nobody asked any questions, but tried to sell me the $10 and $8 plan, I was told the $5 plan covers only lost or stolen, NOT damaged. I got the $5 plan, later went to my account online to verify and under WPP feature description I found this:
Asurion Wireless Phone Protection (WPP)

Asurion Wireless Phone Protection (WPP)Asurion, a third-party licensed insurance agency, offers insurance coverage for your wireless device and certain standard accessories. If you have Wireless Phone Protection and your device is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged (including liquid and physical damage), you may file your claim with the Asurion within 60 days of the incident and the device will be replaced upon claim approval.

The more you know...

I didnt even know they had $5 plan.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Verizon/Asurion raised their ins prices last year. I believe their 5.99 plan is the most basic, and only covers lost/stolen. And yes, you do have to get their ins within 30 days of purchasing you new device. I'm not sure if others carriers do this as well, but it's too prevent people from obtaining the ins AFTER its been lost/stolen or damaged.

KaChow

Reaction score
While the topic is out in the open, I don't rely on insurance it's a scam or at least the way it's currently done. It's about as big of a scam as trading in device that is paid off, to get a $100 or $150 off on a new device, but that's another topic. The thing is whether you pay $5.99, or $7.99, $9.99 or whatever the amount is there still is a hefty deductible that follows the device as well. Now, the reason to get this insurance is to protect of course against theft and damage, which were all pretty much doing the insurance company a big favor almost immediately, as we usually add a new case to the device, and add some type of screen protection, fortunately the S5 is water resistant which even too water is exposed to the device, still can use the "bag of rice" method and restore the device. Now theft on the other hand, smartphones are mainstream everyone has them, less people but not all focus on stealling these compared where things were years ago. But, I guess perhaps what always bothered me the most with insurance, other than the deductible being a large portion of the actual retail cost of the device. But, it was that you receive a "refurbished" phone as a replacement, not a "new" phone, a phone that someone else used, that was returned, repaired, and now it is yours.

If you are going to buy insurance, cancel the policy that you have with your existing Carrier. Purchase here. This works very simple, select Cell Phone->, User Type: Adult ->, Model: look up the retail costs of your device ex. $599 -> Full Coverage. Next select Deductible: $50-> Term 1 Year Auto renewal. See the costs for 1 year is $63. The way this works your device falls under any of those "Losses Covered" the insurance will cut you a CHECK for $599. You can buy the same device or a different device. Enjoy! :biggrin:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Unless you are reckless and irresponsible with your phone, you are far better off saving your money.

Just consider if you lose/break your phone after 12 months - $100 deductible plus another $96 in premiums (when I had VZW insurance, it was like $7.99 a month). After two years - a time most people are upgrading, anyway - you've paid nearly $200 just in premiums which is the typical cost of newer, subsidized phones.

Save your money and if you have issue then go back to an old phone until your eligible to upgrade, or grab a used phone off EBAY or Swappa.