insurance and rooting

AJRAS

Reaction score
If i root my phone and i have insurance on it will the insurance cover me if i accidentally brick it

:motdroidvert:(Motodroid):motdroidvert:

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No. If you attempt to root, you void your warranty. BUT, it is quite difficult to brick (meaning beyond recovery)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If i root my phone and i have insurance on it will the insurance cover me if i accidentally brick it

:motdroidvert:(Motodroid):motdroidvert:

If you root you void your warranty. Best bet is to ask the insurance folks. I'd say the insurance would be in case you lost it, had it stolen, dropped it into water, etc.

However it is more than likely that you would have to intentionally brick your phone. There are 50,000+ members here. Granted, not all of them have rooted their phones. Those that have, and have bricked them, end up in here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/groups/bricked-droid-before.html

meek_reese

Reaction score
I'm not 100 percent sure how insurance works, but I think if something goes terribly wrong, you can just say you lost it. If you don't want to commit fraud, maybe have an accident where it falls in the toilet or something. Water damage is covered.

but seriously, using the term "brick" should be a bannable offense. The droid pretty much cannot be bricked at this point, what with the sbf files floating around. This isn't just to you OP but for everyone using that term. If you want to root your phone, READ everything 2 or 3 times before even attempting to root, and you will be fine. There is no danger in rooting, little to no danger in installing custom ROMS and a bit of danger overclocking haha

OP
AJRAS

AJRAS

Reaction score
No. If you attempt to root, you void your warranty. BUT, it is quite difficult to brick (meaning beyond recovery)

Im not stupid i know what it means to brick

So your saying that if i brick it then they wont cover it right?

huskur

Reaction score

so what if you brick it. (very hard to be done) but if you do "so what". Run over it with your car and then turn in a claim OR just say it's lost. Simple

YES. Insurance covers LOST phones.

OP
AJRAS

AJRAS

Reaction score

so what if you brick it. (very hard to be done) but if you do "so what". Run over it with your car and then turn in a claim OR just say it's lost. Simple

YES. Insurance covers LOST phones.

HAHA THATS FUNNY...and a really good idea to ill keep that in mind THANK YOU!!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Assuming you have coverage through Asurion you can read the details in the program brochure via Verizon Lookup

Seems a bit open to interpretation to me but bricking is likely to fall under "programming" which is one of several things that are not covered.

Duck141

Reaction score
what the hell is brick it mean, you smash your phone with a brick?

rkeller62

Reaction score
Just an FYI - if you actually do brick your phone by rooting or loading custom roms and then put in a claim for a lost phone you are committing insurance fraud.