1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Installing the ICS Update

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by abraham3660, Oct 25, 2012.

1. abraham3660

abraham3660 New Member

Yesterady my phone got the ota update, and it has already downloaded to my phone. My first question is: Can you install the ota update over root? My phone is rooted, but I have never installed any type of rom on my phone. Ive read that you can install it over root, and you will just loose the root, and ive read that you cant install it over root over root so which one is true? The only reason i rooted my phone was to freeze all of the bloatware and unwanted apps. That leads me to my second question, do I need to unfreeze all of the apps before i install the update? Thank you!
  2. abraham3660

abraham3660 New Member

Anyone? I would really like to get this done before i have to leave my house.
  3. Mustang02

Mustang02 Well-Known Member

As long as it's not Forever root you should be able to install it without any issues. Why not try it and see?
  4. Hodor

Hodor New Member

It depends on how you are rooted. Being rooted in itself should not prevent it from loading but if you are forever rooted you will have to return any system files you modified to their original state. Also depending on what/if you froze any bloatware, probably should reverse that too.
  5. Mustang02

Mustang02 Well-Known Member

The frozen bloatware doesn't matter. The files still exist on the system and that is what the update file is looking at.
  6. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Aside from root, you should temporally move your music, photos and videos to your PC as the updating media files can take hours if you have a lot.
  7. sst45jeff

sst45jeff New Member

If you are all ready rooted & want to keep it rooted I would recommend installing Voodoo root keeper before doing the update.
    Its free in the Play store.
Search tags for this page
a858 ics
a858 myphone upgrade
a858 rom
how to root myphone a858
how to upgrade myphone a858 to ics
myphone 858 ics
myphone a858 ics
myphone a858 ics upgrade
myphone a858 update

myphone a858 upgrade to ics