1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Installing Stock Launcher over custom roms

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by drilus, Nov 30, 2010.

1. drilus

drilus New Member

My wife enjoys the stock launcher and doesn't really like anything else...

I've downloaded the deodexed 2.2 firmware and extracted Launcher2.apk. I've deleted the ADWLauncher and attempted to install the stock. It doesn't seem to work though.
    I've done:
    adb remount
    adb shell
    rm /system/app/Launcher.apk

adb push Launcher2.apk /system/app/Launcher.apk
    this results in a forever booting animation which I guess is because it can't find the launcher.

I've also tried removing the adw by rm and adb install Launcher2.apk which gives me a "not signed certificate" error.

I've searched the topics but I couldn't find anything to resolve my problems. Can anyone give me a hand?
  2. mcapozzi

mcapozzi New Member

ADB push is the way to go to install Launcher2.apk.

I would just push Launcher2.apk onto the phone (do not remove or try to overwrite Launcher.apk).

adb push Launcher2.apk /system/app

Then just hit the home button and it should allow you to change to the other launcher. If it doesn't, you may have to go into Menu -> Settings -> Manage applications -> Launcher and clear the defaults for that application, then when you hit the home key it should ask which launcher you want to use.

-Mike
  3. drilus

drilus New Member

I've tried this a couple times using the latest CM6.1 but each time it tells me I'm out of space. I opened up a shell and the reported free space is only around 500k. Is there any other method to get the stock launcher back?
  4. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

I _think_ the methods posted would do it, but I am with mcapozzi as far as actually deleting .apk's. I prefer to rename them by changing the extension from .apk to .bak. Also, I agree with the clearing of the defaults, data, and cache in the launcher. Also, though I will add that since your 'home' (i.e. launcher) is so important to your phone's operation, I would probably try installing it while the phone is booted into recovery, and then only after using the (custom) recovery's menu system to mount /system. But don't forget your backup(s) first!

However, first you must figure out why you only have 500k of free space in /system.

good luck
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
Search tags for this page

2.3.7 launcher2.apk

android 2.3.6 stock launcher

android 2.3.6 stock launcher apk
apk launcher android 2.3.6
delete stock launcher2
how to install stock apk to custom rom
how to install stock launcher on custom rom
how to replace stock launcher on custom rom
inc launcher apk original