installing SBF but battery low.. how to charge?

rpriz

Reaction score
not sure if i fried my d2g or not but it went into bootloader mode after I plugged in a possible faulty wall charger. I have the RSDlite & SBF file and was currently pulling my hair out trying to get the driver to work when the battery went into low mode and the bootloader says can't program because of it. So, the big question is.... how can i get a charge into my battery at this stage? Can a battery even charge in Bootloader mode?

any suggestions on the batter charge would be great and if you have any two cents on the motorola drivers, please feel free to throw that at me also.

Thanks
Ron

stani

Reaction score
Seidio Multi-Function Battery Charger for Motorola Droid 2 Global, Droid Pro, Droid 2

I have A Droid 2 Global phone, and was told by Verizon that the phone charger port is broken, but this is not true. If the lithium-ion battery becomes completely discharged or dies, the D2G phone does not seem to be able to recharge the battery. So I have purchased a Seidio Multi-Function Battery Charger for Motorola Droid 2 Global, Droid Pro, Droid 2,
Droid from ShopAndroid.com. It allows you to charge your spare battery and the phone at the same time. It was 27.95 and 5.95 for shipping, and I am still waiting for it to arrive, so I can't tell you how it works, but it had great reviews. I think it is rather ridiculous that Motorola does not make an OEM battery-only charger. I am hoping that this will solve my problem, as one of my batteries is dead, and will not recharge.

OP
R

rpriz

Reaction score
yeah i saw that same Seidio charger and was going to buy it but it will not fit the phone if it has a case on it! Even if its a Seidio case, which i have.

Anyways, all fixed... while looking for the proper drivers, i plugged the usb into a powered usb hub and it seemed to charge it. The correct drivers are on the verizon site. The motorola site has them but i guess the were an older problematic version because they didn't work. plugged everything in and ran the SBF via RSDlite and presto, it finished and rebooted, and the kicker was that it came back to life with all my settings intact. Like nothing ever happened!! Is that normal??? I was expecting to start from a factory reset but I guess i can go to bed at 2 am now instead of 3am.

And don't forget for those guys doing this for the first time..... you have to call *228, press option 1 to reactivate your phone after your flash is complete.

stani

Reaction score
The charger will fit your phone because it only charges the battery. You remove the battery from your phone, and insert it in the charger. Then you plug your phone into the additional USB slot, and recharge both your device and the spare battery at once.

Yes, the sbf restore will leave all of your apps and settings intact, and will not change
your SD card files. After you *228, and re-activate your phone, you are probably going to want to update the Android OS again. Glad you are back and up and running.

biknut1

Reaction score
Dead batteries

If the lithium-ion battery becomes completely discharged or dies, the D2G phone does not seem to be able to recharge the battery.

From my own experiences I am going to disagree with you on this statement. I have run my battery completely dead a few times. I recently bought the Gorilla Gadgets battery and have run it dead a few times.

With both batteries I have plugged into USB on my computer but could not get enough juice in it to get it back on in the time I wanted. USB puts about half the juice AC does, or so I've read. I have put both dead batteries on AC, and they magically come back to life. Not instantly- I usually have to wait 20 minutes or so to get them back to 15%. But after that the phone will boot up, and I can resume using it once again.

When you go dead, allow it a little more time to charge before you give up on it. I believe USB would eventually put enough back into it, but I haven't the patience to try when I have 2 AC's close by.

stani

Reaction score
I finally was able to get the phone to recharge the battery. Sounds like you have a third-party battery. That's good that you are having good luck with it. I have a BP6X and the extd BP7X, both oem from Verizon. I left it out for a week, and re-tried it after I turned the phone off and re-charged the BP7X. The Motorola logo appeared, and I was happy. Missed my backup battery, I travel a lot for work, and prefer to charge my spare battery while still having one for work. Will post later when I get this charger and let you know if it's worth 34 bucks.

OP
R

rpriz

Reaction score
I am having issues doing a system update after the SBF flash install. The system update just continues to give me the spinning icon and says "Checking for available update". I let it go for over 15 min. and it just continues to spin. I am at system 2.4.29.A956 Verizon.en.US, Android 2.2

Battery: I also have dual batteries but want to find the best way to charge the one in the phone and the spare without having multiple chargers. The "Seidio Multi-Function Battery Charger" does sound good but a bit $$.. I was thinking more of a drop in cradle type with a spare battery on the back side or similar. The only drop in cradle I know of that holds the phone with a case in the Motorola multimedia station with the removable insert.

If anyone understands and knows what i am looking for, please send it my way!!!

thx
Ron

chrisl20

Reaction score
@ron...did u activate(*228) after sbf...and gorillagadgets.com...just got my 3500mAh extdnded battery and a dual charger (usb insert and battery slot) both for 40$...work like a charm

OP
R

rpriz

Reaction score
*228 for activation was done. Phone works great, even some of my missing apps came back after the Flash but i just can't seem to do a system update.

As far as an extended battery option goes... it doesn't fit in my holster! I just want a simple drop-in cradle that can handle a case and also has a second charging area for a battery.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
*228 for activation was done. Phone works great, even some of my missing apps came back after the Flash but i just can't seem to do a system update.

As far as an extended battery option goes... it doesn't fit in my holster! I just want a simple drop-in cradle that can handle a case and also has a second charging area for a battery.

You can purchase an extra battery on Amazon for about $8.00. Check ebay out for a wall charger, the D2G uses the same battery as the Original Droid and you can get a wall charger for $5.00.

chrisl20

Reaction score
The charger w usb output and battery slot was like 12$ I think...and the battery was 28, I got it just for the sole fact that it had the highest mAh output I've seen for extended batterys...but I didn't look too hard

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
And yes you need a functional OS to charge a battery...

biknut1

Reaction score
3rd Party

I finally was able to get the phone to recharge the battery. Sounds like you have a third-party battery. That's good that you are having good luck with it. I have a BP6X and the extd BP7X, both oem from Verizon.

Yes the Gorilla Gadgets battery is a 3rd party battery. But it is a monster! 3500 ma compared to 1400 stock, and I think 1700 ext. Moto. There are tons of people on here using this battery, and I haven't read of any problems. Someone started a thread awhile back about it. If you are traveling a lot, and using a lot of battery, you might give some thought to this one. I can run it down in a day, but I really have to work at it.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Not that it matters but stock battery is 1300 I think.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Nasa

Reaction score
I got the 3500 mah battery and charger from gorillagadgets and it works fine in putting the battery into the charger. It takes a while longer to charge than with the ac charger that came with the phone.

However when trying to use the USB port on the charger and the data cable the phone locks up until you unplug it. Have use the same cable on the USB port on my laptop and it will charge there OK and the phone does not lockup. Tried another phone and the same results. Tried another cable and still same results.