1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Installing rom for first time.

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Tallguy, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Tallguy

Tallguy New Member

So, I'm wanting to install a new rom for the first time (cyanogen) and was wondering if it's highly likely or a guarantee that your apps and stuff will be wiped? I'd prefer it if I don't have to back everything up and reinstall it all.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Droidforums App
    >Rooted Droid Incredible 2.2 CM Recovery
  2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

They shouldn't be wiped automatically in the installation of a ROM, BUT... you should wipe them yourself. Installing a ROM on top of old data can cause A LOT of problems, including crashes, lag, boot loops, among many other things. It is highly recommended to wipe prior to installing a ROM.

If you are on Froyo now and want to try a Gingerbread build, you will undoubtedly need to wipe. Sometimes if you are just updating the ROM you are running (say you are keeping up with the nightlies of CM7) you may not need to wipe between each one. I have been keeping up with them myself (on the OG Droid) and I haven't wiped in quite some time. YMMV on that though.
  3. Tallguy

Tallguy New Member

Thanks very much. Aand this is off my subject but I was wondering what might be wrong with my phone. I rooted it and flashed the cwm recovery but can't seem to get into recovery. I downloaded an app that is supposed to do it for you with one [press] and I've tried it the manual way. I've tried holding both vol down and vol up and power at the same time and my phone just quickly vibrates five times then wont power on until I do a battery pull....

4. Brennan_Huber

Brennan_Huber Theme Developer Theme Developer

One thing you can do is plug your phone is to the wall charger and pull the battery out and after it powers on to the charging screen you plug it back in, boots right into recovery if I remember correctly.

Sent from my DROIDX
  5. Tallguy

Tallguy New Member

Tried that already. Nothing special happens. Just boots as normal...

6. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Reflash the recovery again sounds like it didn't stick.