1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Installing new ROMs seems to be impossible... help ?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Briannn, May 28, 2010.

1. Briannn

Briannn New Member

Okay - well here's what i've been experiencing. I purchased my Motorola Droid less than a week-ago and due to my geek-nature, of course I wanted to Root my phone as soon as possible. Over the past 24 hours, i have researched and struggled and now finally have a rooted droid on the 2.0.1 OS. I have purchased ROM manager - downloaded BB v1.1, Ultimate Droid v10, and Cyogenmod. and have tried to install them over 30 times without any luck.

Here's my problems so far

- Clockworkmod will not initialize unless i have an older version. The newest version freezes upon booting my phone in recovery. so i've been doing everything on version 1.8.0 instead of 1.8.1 (dont know if this could be part of the problem)

- Every rom i have loaded whether it be manually through sprecovery, or automatically through ROM manager fail in some way.
    BB- either fails upon manual installation, or if i hit a stroke of luck and get it to install, proceeds to freeze at the M screen, or loop the boot screens.
    UD- same
    Cyogen- can't even get it to install via ROM manager or manually.

So overall, i'm frustrated, and downright confused. Usually i'm pretty competent when it comes to technology, but this has been too much. If anyone has any ideas of what might be the trouble please let me know. If i can't figure this out today I will most likely just go back to 2.1 an wait for 2.2

P.S> ideally i want to be running Bugless Beast, although it seems to be the ROM giving my phone the most trouble
    :icon_ banana:
  2. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    First of all, did you download both the paid and free ROM Manager?? You have to have both.

Next when you open ROM Manager > menu > clear download cache. Then try to flash ClockworkMod (first choice once you enter ROM Manager). The current CWM is 1.8.1.4. After you successfully flash CWM then go into Download ROM and go from there. That should clear up your problem. I have found that if you are having troubles with RM to remember to clear the download cache.

Hope this helps.
  3. Briannn

Briannn New Member

yeah, i have both. I'll try what you said. Hopefully it works out.

The issue i was having with the most recent version of CWM was when i would "boot to recovery" or even just X-power to recovery, it would freeze on the "M" screen.

I'll let you know what happens
  4. dlwhtrose

That is exactly what my husbands phone did the other night when I was trying to root it. Once I cleared the download cache it started working.
  5. Briannn

Briannn New Member

Yes, the deleting download cache helped me to open the most recent version of clockworkmod, although when i install anything it begins to load, then just flashes back to the main screen... all within about ten seconds. is this what is supposed to happen. i'm assuming not
  6. dlwhtrose

The only other thing I can tell you to do is go into your apps, uninstall ROM Manager then reinstall. The other thing you can try is to boot into recovery and wipe data/factory reset. Just remember before you start anything in ROM Manager (even after the uninstall and reinstall) clear the download cache. Depending on the ROM you are trying to flash, if you are able to find the zip file for the ROM and the zip file for the google apps you could push both of those to the root of your sd card and go into ROM Manager and install from sd card. I have had to do that too.

Oh and one other thing to try that was told to me is try to do any downloads via WiFi. Others have had issues with downloads that they did over their phone.

Those are my suggestions.