Installing modded kernel w/out ROM?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by xsylus, May 14, 2010.

1. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

Is there anyway to put a modified kernel on the Droid without installing a ROM? I prefer everything on my Droid to be stock but I have to run a ROM currently since thus far that's the only way I can get a kernel with iptables installed on the Droid. I've read that Android OS 2.2 is coming out and with the rooted 2.1 ROM I'm currently running I won't be able to upgrade to 2.2. Is there a way I can extract the kernel I'm currently using on my Droid and than flash it back to the Droid after I reset the phone back to factory stock defaults?

Thanks for your time,
    xsylus
  2. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Update.zip format.
  3. Dustinmj

Dustinmj New Member

If you want to flash a kernel... get that particular kernel then:

Code:
    flash_image boot <kernel_source>

Make sure it's what you want!
  4. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

That's another question though, can I just pull a kernel that I know works out of a boot.img or out of a ROM some how? I haven't been able to find just a kernel file to flash to the phone. Where might I find one? I was able to compile my own from the Android SDK but aside from enabling iptables I'm not sure what other features are enabled by default in the Droid stock kernel.

Thanks.
  5. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

6. Dustinmj

Dustinmj New Member

if you have flash_image available (just adb or terminal then su then type flash_image... if it gives you a list of commands you are fine)... then you would do:

Code:
    flash_image boot bootimg.img

What I mean is... boot.img is your kernel... just make sure you back everything up first! Make sure and back up boot in recovery first!
  7. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

So, technically, I should be able to make a full backup of my phone in it's current state with the Smoked Glass v6.0.1 ROM installed with SirPsychoS Recovery and then after restoring the phone to default stock I could just use the recovery menu to flash just the boot.img from that backup. Does the kernel change with OS updates, like from 2.1 to 2.2? I know with linux that the kernel version stays pretty much the same while the OS or shell is updated to fix bugs and add improvements but I'm not sure if the same is entirely true with the Android platform.
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  8. mikes

mikes New Member

Along with the kernel (boot.img), you'll need the matching WLAN module (/sytem/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko).
  9. budmonster

budmonster Guest

I just like using the stock 2.1 w/ root, not real big on any ROMs yet, but I want to OC. Can I use any kernel currently out? Or do I have to be on specific ROM? I'm currently using the stock-root 2.1 ESE81 update that's been around for awhile, I think its from Pete...

EDIT: Is the update by Pete, currently the only rooted stock 2.1 out? I'm trying to find the most stable stock with root.

Thanks guys. sorry if i confused anyone, im at work and typed this in a hurry.
Search tags for this page

droid 3 iptables

how to extract a kernel from a rom

how to extract and flash a kernel from rom
how to pull a kernel out of a rom
modding a kernel with just root