Installing Liberty 1.5 - Few questions first...

cjriddle22

Reaction score
haha have a good one man. you know where to find me

Thank you, sir!

I have another question if you or anyone can answer it:

When I install a theme, I understand how to install it, but how do you uninstall it? Is there a simple way to do it? And is there a way to install multiple themes, but then switch from one to another one by going through Droid X Recovery Bootstrap or some other means? Abviously since you can only have one active at a time. Just curious is all. (Okay, that was two questions...I really need to learn how to count..)

Thank you!

Short answer, you can't. You can just download and install the regular Liberty theme and it will most likely take everything back to "stock" Liberty. When you download and install a theme, it should go to the liberty < downloads folder on your sd card. Then, if you want you can access these zip files from Droid X Bootstapper and reinstall them this way, or you can just click on them from within the Liberty Toolbox and it does the same thing (the download time will be very minimal, b/c it is already in the downloads folder). Either way will work.

One thing to keep in mind, when you install themes over themes you are just replacing icons and images with the new themed ones. Sometimes all of the themed apps aren't in all of the themes, so you can end up with mixed bag of themed apps.

To get around this, when I installed Liberty the first time, I immediately made a backup of it. So now when I want to change themes, I will just restore my Liberty backup then install the new theme. It's not perfect but it gets the job done and keeps the theme pure.

Last edited:
OP
EvanTheGamer

EvanTheGamer

Reaction score
Short answer, you can't. You can just download and install the regular Liberty theme and it will most likely take everything back to "stock" Liberty. When you download and install a theme, it should go to the liberty < downloads folder on your sd card. Then, if you want you can access these zip files from Droid X Bootstapper and reinstall them this way, or you can just click on them from within the Liberty Toolbox and it does the same thing (the download time will be very minimal, b/c it is already in the downloads folder). Either way will work.

One thing to keep in mind, when you install themes over themes you are just replacing icons and images with the new themed ones. Sometimes all of the themed apps aren't in all of the themes, so you can end up with mixed bag of themed apps.

To get around this, when I installed Liberty the first time, I immediately made a backup of it. So now when I want to change themes, I will just restore my Liberty backup then install the new theme. It's not perfect but it gets the job done and keeps the theme pure.

Ahh, cool, didn't know there was an exact Liberty theme, just the Liberty ROM, but awesome though.

About installing themes within the Liberty Toolbox: So when you install a theme, it installs it from within Liberty, from the downloads folder? Which means that you are installing an older version of the theme, correct? I think I'd probably be best off just downloading the newest version of whichever theme from the official thread here, move it to the sd card, load up DX Bootstrapper, and install it that way, right?

Yeah, good point about making a full backup of Liberty after the first time you installed it, wish I had thought of that. I guess I could still make a backup of it. Also though, before you install a theme, you would restore Liberty, but wouldn't that remove all of your installed apps? Which means that you'd have to restore all your apps again...or am I missing something?

But still...all good advice and will take a mental note of it all. :)

Thanks, cjriddle!

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Ahh, cool, didn't know there was an exact Liberty theme, just the Liberty ROM, but awesome though.

About installing themes within the Liberty Toolbox: So when you install a theme, it installs it from within Liberty, from the downloads folder? Which means that you are installing an older version of the theme, correct? I think I'd probably be best off just downloading the newest version of whichever theme from the official thread here, move it to the sd card, load up DX Bootstrapper, and install it that way, right?

Yeah, good point about making a full backup of Liberty after the first time you installed it, wish I had thought of that. I guess I could still make a backup of it. Also though, before you install a theme, you would restore Liberty, but wouldn't that remove all of your installed apps? Which means that you'd have to restore all your apps again...or am I missing something?

But still...all good advice and will take a mental note of it all. :)

Thanks, cjriddle!

When you go into the Liberty Toolbox and look at the themes, the "stock" Liberty theme is the first one.

No, when you download and install a theme from within the Toolbox, it saves the zip file in the liberty > download folder on your sd card. This is the newest version of the theme. You can download themes from the forum and install them via bootstrapper if you want, basically the same thing. I do think the forums have a few more choices of themes though.

Note: If you install an app from within the Toolbox, it is also saved in the download folder. So if you install a theme and that app goes away (ie FMRadio.apk), you can just navigate to the liberty > download folder and re-install it from there, rather than going through the Toolbox.

It doesn't remove all of my apps because when I made the backup, I had already restored all of my apps and got my home screens set up. When I restore it to this point, it brings all of that stuff with it. It is my exact setup from that exact point in time. Now if I install some apps after my restore point, I will just back them up with Titanium and be on my way. Then after the restore I will just install the new apps with Titanium.

OP
EvanTheGamer

EvanTheGamer

Reaction score
When you go into the Liberty Toolbox and look at the themes, the "stock" Liberty theme is the first one.

No, when you download and install a theme from within the Toolbox, it saves the zip file in the liberty > download folder on your sd card. This is the newest version of the theme. You can download themes from the forum and install them via bootstrapper if you want, basically the same thing. I do think the forums have a few more choices of themes though.

Note: If you install an app from within the Toolbox, it is also saved in the download folder. So if you install a theme and that app goes away (ie FMRadio.apk), you can just navigate to the liberty > download folder and re-install it from there, rather than going through the Toolbox.

It doesn't remove all of my apps because when I made the backup, I had already restored all of my apps and got my home screens set up. When I restore it to this point, it brings all of that stuff with it. It is my exact setup from that exact point in time. Now if I install some apps after my restore point, I will just back them up with Titanium and be on my way. Then after the restore I will just install the new apps with Titanium.

Ahh, okay..was wondering about that, didn't know that the themes are installed directly from the internet, so the newest version is installed. Sweet!

Yeah, that Liberty Toolbox is a real gem, I gotta say, very useful and handy.

Well..I haven't done a whole lot yet, have been thinking if I should wait to do anything(installing themes, setting everything up, etc) until I get a 32GB Micro SDHC card or to just get on with it..still deciding.

But I'm going to backup everything using DX Bootstrapper in a few minutes, might as well..in case anything goes wrong, but from the looks of it, everything seems to be absolutely fine. Liberty 1.5 ROM is truly fantastic.

By the way, do you use LauncherPro? I had it installed on my Stock ROM, but haven't installed it on Liberty yet..think I'm going to wait until I install a theme.

Thanks, man!

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Ahh, okay..was wondering about that, didn't know that the themes are installed directly from the internet, so the newest version is installed. Sweet!

Yeah, that Liberty Toolbox is a real gem, I gotta say, very useful and handy.

Well..I haven't done a whole lot yet, have been thinking if I should wait to do anything(installing themes, setting everything up, etc) until I get a 32GB Micro SDHC card or to just get on with it..still deciding.

But I'm going to backup everything using DX Bootstrapper in a few minutes, might as well..in case anything goes wrong, but from the looks of it, everything seems to be absolutely fine. Liberty 1.5 ROM is truly fantastic.

By the way, do you use LauncherPro? I had it installed on my Stock ROM, but haven't installed it on Liberty yet..think I'm going to wait until I install a theme.

Thanks, man!

I'm assuming that you have the 16 Gb card installed that came with your DX right? You could just transfer everything over to the 32 Gb card when you get it.

I am using LauncherPro at the moment, but I have floated back and forth from ADW and LP and even tried the launcher that comes with Liberty. For some reason I always end up going back to LP. I think it is the new transition effects that has me hooked at the moment.

OP
EvanTheGamer

EvanTheGamer

Reaction score
I'm assuming that you have the 16 Gb card installed that came with your DX right? You could just transfer everything over to the 32 Gb card when you get it.

I am using LauncherPro at the moment, but I have floated back and forth from ADW and LP and even tried the launcher that comes with Liberty. For some reason I always end up going back to LP. I think it is the new transition effects that has me hooked at the moment.

Yep, got the 16GB, and will hopefully be getting the 32GB card this week sometime. Yeah, was wondering about that, but I guess it works exactly like that, I'd just transfer everything over and that's it, not like there's any app linking directly to that specific 16GB card, which I actually thought at first.

Yeah, LP is awesome, and now with the new transition effects, even better. Have never used ADW before, is it pretty cool?