Installing an application NOT from the Market

Hebbrew017

Reaction score
You don't need app installer. You're better of using a file manager. Either EStrongs File Explorer or Astro File Manager. The apk will install itself when you select it.

Dylanthecat made a very good point, make sure you go to settings > applications > and enable "unknown sources" to allow install of non-market applications.

On my Backflip with 2.1 I dont have an "enable "unknown sources"" option at the designated location. Where is the option located?

Hebbrew017

Reaction score
Is there a work around that I can use to install unknown source .apk files then?

Hebbrew017

Reaction score
Im missing a driver for "motorola adb interface" so when I enable usb debugging, which is required for using sideloader, I dont find all of my phones hardware. This causes the sideloader to not find my phone. I cant find the driver for the backflip...any suggestions?

Hebbrew017

Reaction score
After searching the motorola support page I got here:

USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola, Inc. USA

The problem is that all of the divers on this listed page are a W series, ex: w370 or w230. The backflips model number is MB300. I got to that page my searching for drivers linked to the backflip, so how am I supposed to know which driver applies to my phone?

harrellj

Reaction score
Took me a bit to find them too, but try the ones linked here: [ADB Setup] Motorola Backflip - xda-developers.

ETA: Actually, looking at that link, there's also instructions for manually installing apps as well, which is what I was looking for but kept stumbling onto posts point out the sideloader I linked earlier.

Last edited:

Hebbrew017

Reaction score
On the link you suggested the first step is to download either the 32bit or 64bit windows drivers. When I click on the 32bit (thats what I need) a blank window pops up and tells me windows blocked the download in the pop-up windows notification bar. I click the bar and click download file and the page refreshes and does nothing for over 5 min. I tried the 64bit download just to see if I got the same results and the same happened.

Hebbrew017

Reaction score
On the longshot that the downloading problem was just my computer, I tried the same webpage on the labtop I have access to. Its os is vista 32bit home premium and it didnt download the drivers for the 32bit or the 64bit.

harrellj

Reaction score
Weird, they downloaded fine for me on my work computer on Chrome, both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Trying a different route then.

Hebbrew017

Reaction score
If they downloaded for you then would it be possible for you to email me the 32bit drivers? Ive been searching since I last posted and havent been able to find the drivers. I also posted on the forum that I cant download from that I was having issues. That route hasnt gone anywhere yet because nobody has responded yet.

**opps. That would require my email lol. [email protected]**

Last edited:

harrellj

Reaction score
Check your mail. I was attempting to use file uploading sites, but they weren't getting me anywhere.

Well, 3Mb .zip file is apparently taking a bit to send. :(

Last edited:

Hebbrew017

Reaction score
After 6 hours of researching and scouring forums, I have finally gotten what I need. With the drivers you sent my phone was found by the sideloader and I can now install "unknown source" .apk files. Thanks sooo much for all your assistance.