installer pops up whenever I plug into PC

bandini

Reaction score
Hi all:

So, when I first got my droid I installed the drivers and then uninstalled the "moto connect" software I was forced to install with them. However, every time I plug into my PC via USB, the motoconnect installer pops up asking me what language I want to use to install.

I am able to do everything I want as far as transferring to and from the PC, so, unless I'm overlooking some benefit to installing this software, is there anyway to make it go away for good and stop triggering the installer everytime I connect to the PC?

thanks folks -

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Why did you uninstall in the first place? Just curious

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
B

bandini

Reaction score
Why did you uninstall in the first place? Just curious

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

My default position with all software is to not install it. Most electronic devices come with some sort of software to help you connect it to the computer, and they are rarely necessary and are almost always bloatware.

I think a better question would be the original one: since any Windows user has no need of software to facilitate the transfer of files between the phone and the computer, what is the purpose of Motoconnect, and (more importantly to me) how can it be told to go away?

It's hard for me to believe that, with all the savvy users here, I'm the only one bothered by this.

OP
B

bandini

Reaction score
Unfortunately, none of the remedies on that page seem to work.

There is no "Moto Connect Service" in my services list.

I tried calling ##7764726 but there is no area called "feature settings" there.

I'd rather not have to disable autoconnect for my whole computer, which appears to be the only other option.

rkl122

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be because you removed it? I'm guessing that advice is meant to be: "...leave the service installed but permanently disable it..." Might be preferable to disabling autoconnect for the whole computer. (Just a thought from a DX noob who has yet to connect the thing to the PC.:) )

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
Unfortunately, none of the remedies on that page seem to work.

I tried calling ##7764726 but there is no area called "feature settings" there.

I'd rather not have to disable autoconnect for my whole computer, which appears to be the only other option.

The ##7764726 works on the Droid incredible. (my first android phone). Wish it worked on the X there are so many things about the X I wish were more like the incredible or I just need time learning it better, not sure.

Other options I have read (which again did not completely solve things for me.)

in the system try right click the moto software and change to 'nothing'

if you are running any dvd software such as dvd43, disable it before plugging in the phone.

OP
B

bandini

Reaction score
Yeah I suspect that some of these remedies are for people who have the software installed, but just don't want it to pop up.

I've gone ahead and disabled autorun for my computer, which keeps motoconnect at bay. I'm still curious about this software - given that it is so insistent on being installed, and - so far - no one appears to use it or know what its purpose is.:)

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
I am really surprised at the fact that there is no search about it and that you and I are the only ones having this problem.

My other issues are it keeps deleting pictures (randomly) which is one reason why I would like to be able to mount as hard disk.

and I am scared to plug it in to the aux on the car last time I had this problem with the incredible (b4 I was able to disable load as CD) everything went haywire.

I really didn't think I would HAVE to root the phone in order to plug it in to my laptop

OP
B

bandini

Reaction score
Yeah, it's perplexing, given the amount of control everyone seems to want to have over their phone (I personally have no interest in rooting or even downloading very many apps). Does this software only impose itself on newer users maybe? Do you other folks not have to deal with it?

I may have to reinstall the software just to find out what the heck it does.:)

OP
B

bandini

Reaction score
Well, I ended up installing the stupid thing & verified that, yes, it serves absolutely no purpose at all.:)

Uninstalled it and disabled autorun & now I don't have to deal with it asking to be installed every time I plug my phone in.

Still find it curious that there is NO info on this thing here at the forum, considering it comes with everyone's phone... oh well.

action13

Reaction score
Installed the motoconnect software and selected the "do nothing" option and all is good. However I was, same as you, a bit miffed that I had to install this completely useless software. After pondering over this for a while, I think I have a work around:

1. With your droid plugged in, right-click on "My Computer" in the start menu.
  2. Choose "Manage".
  3. In the "Computer Management" drop down, choose "Storage... Disk Management".
  4. Right-click the extra drive that is created alongside the actual sd card drive (mine was called "Motorola") and click on "Change Drive Letters and Paths...".
  5. Finally, remove the drive letter associated with that "drive".
Windows wants to autorun whenever a drive is connected but that drive must be mounted to a drive letter (i.e. Windows won't auto-run if the drive is mounted to a folder). By removing the drive letter, windows doesn't "see" the connection of the drive and therefore no auto-run. Removing (or changing) the drive letter is "permanent". If you ever need to access the files of that drive, then just do the above steps and give the drive it's letter back (or mount it to a blank folder and you'll have the best of both worlds).

I Uninstalled motoconnect, then did all this and it's working great so far. I'm using a Droid X and my OS is Vista (ugh!) but I would think that it'd work with any phone/drive and any post Windows 2K machine. I'd guess that you'd need admin priviledges to do this, however.