Installed UD9.8 via RM

Discussion in 'Blackdroid' started by swampgeek, Apr 9, 2010.

1. swampgeek

swampgeek New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First of all let me say amazing work to blackdroid and the rest of the UD team, you guys have done an amazing job and are well deserving of the donation you have coming from me.

That being said I hope the devolopement team and especially blackdroid reads this. I'm not sure why there is a rift in the community nor do I want to know. I do want to say thanks to whoever did send UD up to RomManager because I would have NEVER tried it if it had not been there and so far this is the BEST rom I have flashed on my phone. The lack of consistent standards among the general android modding community is almost as bad if not worse than the fragmentation in the official builds. These camp mentalities have to end and standards need to be put in place and upheld or no one truly benifits. The childish anticts among developers almost makes me shy away from custom mods all together.

I along with thousands of others got tired of waiting on moto and finally took the leap into rooting and custom roms thanks to the help of a well known blogger and his tutorials. Those mostly centered around Rom Manager and its ease of use and wide community support and adoption made it a no-brainer for self admitted noobs like myself. Now I would like to stay on UD as again it is the best I have put on my phone. However leaving RM makes me wonder how to maintain and update when the time comes? Not all of us came from alldroid or understand all the ins and outs, due to the fact that the droid IS my internet access I can't afford to stray to far away from a simple OTA updater which RomManager is. Maybe there is a helpful member here that can ease my concerns and help me and the rest of us that are shaking our heads at this whole school yard mess in understanding how we can continue to use the Roms that we like without fear of bricking our phones.

Thanks

2. jhalsey205

jhalsey205 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Great post and you are dead on. Thanks.

3. wnrussell

wnrussell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't agree with you more. The ability to install new ROM's, manage backups, add features, change features, and install any ROM.zip file without using a PC is what the community needs to gain the most user acceptance.

I'd like to cast my vote for a ROM manager that can be linked to many ROM sources, not just the ones for which the developer has given exclusivity to.

4. fUry327

fUry327 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Blackdroid and his team are working on a new program similiar to ROM Manager but specific to Ultimate Droid.

Any release of UD on ROM Manager is unofficial and cannot be supported by the Ultimate Droid team because they have no way to edit anything on there.

My suggestion is to stick with 9.8 for now (It IS a fantastic ROM and by far the fastest I've ever flashed and I've flashed ALOT) and keep an eye on the Blackdroid section of the forums for a release of the new OTA Manager.

I'd love to see absolute cooperation among ALL the devs but lets be real, thats never going to happen. There will always be competition and pissing contests and its really up to us, the end users, to sift through it all.

Each dev has their respective camp preaching about why this ROM is better or faster, but thats just human nature. We find a cause to support and we defend it to the death. Been that way for our entire existence.

**Perspective**

-Caveman 1- "My wheel better than your wheel.
    -Caveman 2- "My wheel faster than your wheel.
    -=Yell=- -=Fight=-
    -Cavewomen- Rally behind the guy with the round wheel so they don't have to walk.

#4 fUry327, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  5. srphoenix

srphoenix New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wholeheartedly agree with what is posted above. Additionally, please put overclocking kernels attached with the choice of upgrade roms, rom manager used to do this, but currently all of the newer upgrades don't have this choice and as I'm like many on this site fairly limited in my abilities, this was a huge benefit. I've stayed with UD 9.0 as a result because my phone is my business lifeline.

Great work guys!!! You've made the droid something far better than it was originally supposed to be.

6. swampgeek

swampgeek New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the clarification fury! Previous to your post the best I could find was ( paraphrasing ) "flash sprecovery and get over it".

However this does feed right back into my concerns over fragmentation, unless the ud team is building a ota solution that is open source to other dev and is standards based? I really wish someone in this mess would stand up for the community instead of just themselves.

The vast majority of users out there are like me, we shy away from terminal and adb, we ask for simple solutions and a lot of us will put our money where our mouth is.

#6 swampgeek, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  7. heliumfx

heliumfx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My only gripe is I purchased RM simply for UD roms. I don't mind paying for apps but now it has no use. So my question is, with this "new" OTA update app be free or will i have to buy it as well, How long before it gets scrapped and there is something else out. I know its probably like everything else with UD, for the best and when its here we love it, just makes me nervious.

One more point to make. It seems like 10 people working on the same app would be better that 10 people working on 10 apps that do the same thing. My point, RM could benefit from Devs working together. I really liked how RM worked.

8. rmcomer

rmcomer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    BD has stated that his OTA update app will be free with donations accepted.

9. msu

msu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you can still use clockwork/RM to install BD roms if you like it. Just download the update.zip.
    Also, you will still have access to sprecovery through rom manager. So basically you can use both. Simple as that. Not sure why people keep beating this stick.

as far as srphoenix goes, Dude you need to go to 9.8. Lots smoother and quick!!!

10. bodean

bodean Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    People beat the stick for two reasons.
    1. Bd rom on rom manager is not official build.
    2. 90% people with 9.8 install issues are user related. You are asking for issues using non official build. Do yourself the favor...uninstall rom manager and install bd old fashion way. Will help you, your post count, and the forum a lot of hassle later on.

11. swampgeek

swampgeek New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What exactly is the old way if you read the op I stated my first experience with custom roms was through Rom Manager. I understand it but as a community does everyone else.

Better yet how many people are you going to turn away with that sort of elitist attitude. This whole post is about making it as easy as possible for as many people (yes including those that are less technically inclined ) to get there hands on this excellent peice of software. Especially when it comes to devices that could cost hundreds of dollars to replace.

12. bodean

bodean Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Its not meant to turn away but make aware. Again, asking for issues using unofficial build.