1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Installed Sholes 2.0.3... so where's my Compcache?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by daftlush, Feb 12, 2010.

1. daftlush

daftlush New Member

After doing research on what Compcache is, I want it. I'm on SholesMOD 2.0.3, but after running "free" in ADB I see Compcache is not installed. WTF?
  2. Hideaki

Hideaki New Member

The Sholes Kernel supports compcache, but it does not have it enabled by default. There were issues the last time the enabled it by default(I think it was in 1.2 or 1.1) with people experiencing severe slow downs due to it being enabled.

There is a command you need to type to enable it now, but I don't know what it is. I'm sure someone else can provide it. :)
  3. MPTP

MPTP New Member

Trust me, you don't want to enable it as you won't see any real performance increase, only the eventual slowdowns. I'm glad they turned it off by default as it was the single biggest problem with their mods.
  4. hughesjr

hughesjr New Member

I answered this in another post, but basically there is a file named S15_compcache.sh.disabled in the /rc.d/ directory.

If you copy that file to /etc/system/rc.d/ and rename it to S15_compcache.sh then reboot, you will have compcache enabled.
  5. daftlush

daftlush New Member

:icon_ banana: :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:Thank you:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:
  6. daftlush

daftlush New Member

Do you mean "/system/etc/rc.d/"
  7. A.C.Sanchez

A.C.Sanchez New Member

You do NOT want compcache enabled. They told people to stop using it for a reason. If you use 2.0.6 and run it at 1.0 GHz, you're not going to see any slowdowns ever. I know because I've been doing that myself.
  8. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

wait what? so compcache is working now in 2.0.6 beta? nice, is it actually improving speed at all? I thought it was being merged into android for future releases anyways? So is it even worth bothering trying to install 2.0.6 being that sholes doesn't exist anymore will that still be the next release or I wonder if any changes are being made at all before putting it out?

...offtopic but I notice like every thread with any sholes drama being mentioned are being closed by mods pretty fast... I don't recall this happening that fast for all the alldroid bashing that went on after sholes decided to leave it..... / end off topic

I read before sholes went down on the bug tracker or changelog that they are moving back to 5 oc slots on their kernels due to some random overwrites of opp registers? is this permanent on these new kernels anyone know? I haven't had any issues with kernels over 5 slots. Not exactly sure what issues that causes.

bleh I wish we could just pick up all the rom devs and put them in a spot, the kernel devs in another and the themers in yet another. then pick which you want from all of them and make your own....so many things from so many people it's hard to figure out what the heck is in what sometimes.
  9. Roland B.

Roland B. New Member

your running sholes mod 2.0.6? when did that come out? im still on 2.0.5
  10. sam5828

sam5828 New Member

2.06 here too
  11. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

2.0.6 is only available in beta. I'm not sure if its available now.