Installed 2.3 and then... unrooted

jlb13085

Reaction score
First I would like to say hello to everyone as I am a new poster, not a new reader. Secondly, I admit in advance that I'm an idiot. So...

I installed the new leaked 2.3 gingerbread on my X with no problems and loved it. My wife liked it and wanted me to put it on her Droid 2. So I proceeded to root her phone and install the d2 zip with bootstrap like I did on my phone with no problems.

Now she insisted that I unroot the phone when I was done, so I did, thinking I was finished. Then I found out swype was inoperable due to whatever reasons. Swype is a must for her. Now replacing the production swype with the beta swype is easy... on a rooted device. I unrooted a brand new OS and now have no way to root it back to fix this issue UNLESS...

...there is a way to get into clockwork recovery without being rooted. I did have the presence of mind to do a back up while I was in there initially. That is the only thing I can think of. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise this phone is in limbo and I'm in the dog house :)

Jamie

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Cozmicgames

Reaction score
if you add tags, you might actually find someone to help you with this problem.

OP
J

jlb13085

Reaction score
Obviously I'm completely unfamiliar with sbf and tagging

Cozmicgames

Reaction score
tagging is at the bottom when you make a thread, if you dont put anything in there, the only way for people to find this is to look through all the threads and hopefully find yours, in the tagging, you want to put something like "droid 2, gingerbread 2.3 problems, gingerbread 2.3, hack problems, hack failure" these are things that people can put in a search box to find this thread, i am new at this too, so im not sure but i think that once you add the thread, you can no longer edit it, so i would copy and paste what you already have here into a new thread, and add something along the lines of what i listed in the tags box, it should be right above the button to post, and i cant help you with your actual problem, but im just trying to help you find help.

nate.fehr

Reaction score
I had a Droid Eris I was repairing after the keyboard (yes really) was deleted. I had no root, no file manager, and had to figure out a way to install the apk without all that and no keyboard.

It took hours, but some excellent mods on an Eris forum taught me how to use ADB enough to get it working. I would suggest trying that before you resort to sbf-ing. I had a blast doing it and now I am more informed about the workings of Android in general.

Plus it makes you feel like an awesome Linux guru to bang out terminal commands. ;)

nate.fehr

Reaction score
As far as ADB goes, its pretty heady stuff. You'd do well to do LOTS of research before going to far.

What I can tell you is that it's a way to push commands to the android system using your PC. Beyond that I'm no help. Good luck, though. Someone will be along to help you, maybe mcp or someone.

OP
J

jlb13085

Reaction score
I'm about to attempt sbf without a computer. Hate to do that because all that work updating it would be in vain and i'd have to start over, all over a keyboard. Needless to say, her phone will stay rooted this time.

deejay1111

Reaction score
I don't think you can SBF without a computer.... Your best bet would be to follow the procedure here....
TBH & MyDroidWorld Present: Droid 2 (2.3.20) Triple Threat

Ignore the first part of the post and start where it says "UPDATE" in the OP. This will put you back to the last official update of Froyo. Then you will need to root and install Recovery so you can reinstall the rooted version of GB.

It may be a longer process, but best to be safe. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge than I will come along, but I don't recommend trying to SBF without a computer.

OP
J

jlb13085

Reaction score
Can't do that, like I said, my phone has to be rooted to install zip from sd card. Thanks though.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you don't install an sbf file from the sd card. you need to apply the full sbf from rsd lite on your computer

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yes it will take you back to the official 2.3.2 froyo build and then if you choose to you can flash back to gingerbread, after roting of course.