Installed 2.2 exploring options of downgrading

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by guerillajazz, Aug 4, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. guerillajazz

guerillajazz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I own a Droid which started with 2.0.1. I updated to 2.1 then straight to 2.2 thereafter. I have 2 simple questions.

1) I am familiar with what rooting is, but what constitutes having a rooted 2.2 or 2.1 for that matter? If I am currently running 2.2 (which I am) am I a rooted user by default? Or do you need an additional plugin? Also, when I was trying to get a 2.2 update I forgot which source I used. How can I tell whose 2.2 I have and if it is rooted or not?

2) My droid is running fine and I am usb tethering with pdanet which is decent . But say I want to go back to the start and go back all the way to 2.0.1 or 2.1 is there a comprehensive way to restore back to these versions from 2.2?

Thanks in advance
  2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Maybe you should pay more attention to what you put on your phone. :p

If you are using 2.2, there is no guarantee you are rooted or not. Open up your application drawer and scroll down to see if you have Superuser Permissions (should look like a little ninja icon). If you have that, then there is a good chance that you are rooted. Try running an app that requires root permissions, maybe Android Terminal Emulator v1.0.12 Application for Android | Tools . Then type su into the terminal, it should pop up asking you to give root permissions for the app. If it does this, you are rooted, if it doesn't you aren't.

To see what version you are running. First pull the notification bar down, or lock the phone. What does it say in the upper right hand corner? Verizon or Verizon Wireless, or a ROM name? Second thing to do from the home screen, press the menu button > settings > about phone (all the way at the bottom), then scroll to the bottom and look at build number. A lot of devs will put their version there too. If not, what does it say? It could be one of the untouched (or only slightly touched) Froyo builds that have been making their way around the forums.

2) Are you running a custom recovery? Did you make and keep backups of 2.01 or 2.1 using said custom recovery? If so, that is the easiest way to go back at this point. I guess you could find ROMs in 2.01 or 2.1 floating around somewhere, 2.1 shouldn't be that hard actually. 2.01 you may have to go through a bit of searching to find one. You probably will have to go back into March sometime, or maybe find the oldschool DroidModUpdater.apk (if it still works). The only thing these won't clear out is the baseband updates, although you can downgrade that as well.

Alternatively, you could flash an .sbf to go back to 2.01 http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/37717-unroot-unbrick-using-sbf-post-ikithme.html (2.0 and 2.01 .sbfs are there). Both completely stock, no root. There are .sbfs for various builds of 2.1 too, but a quick glance around I didn't see them. Honestly I am not too sure if an ESE83 (official 2.1 for Droid) was ever released online. I know some of the other builds were (ERE21 and ESE53 or something like that).
  3. guerillajazz

guerillajazz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, thank you so much for an in depth and informative reply. Let me start answering those questions.

1)No superuser permissions
    2)Notification bar says Verizon Wireless and the build number is FRG01B
    3)I did not keep backups to my knowledge
    4)I found this link, similar to what you posted. What do you think? Now you can live without fear of bricking - Android Forums