[Installation] SS 5.X recommended install

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by yakitori, Feb 20, 2011.

1. holmes6

holmes6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Check out MyBackup Root, it has a nicer interface vs. titanium and you don't need to do silly crap like enable Chuck Norris mode.

2. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I personally dont recommend using any restore app. I never have used them. As the OP says...if everyone is running a "pure" rom...we can specifically attribute issues to it. The goal is to have people with a clean install...running the same thing as everyone else...installed with the same method to reduce variables when trying to solve an issue. Which was precisely the purpose for this thread.

IF there is a ROM issue/bug, and we have all installed it the same way...and its clean....then we should all be having basically the same issues. It can be replicated..pinpointed...and focused on for updates.

Thanks!

When I going from Froyo to GB its logical to wipe and start clean. Depending on the updates for bug fixes...and what they contain, they may be wipe installs or no wipe installs. Personally for my phone..if its a full ROM release...Im wiping. I dont mind setting everything up again.

3. 666ogre666

666ogre666 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Although not recommended I tend to restore all my apps with no data and then pick and choose which apps specifically need data, like angry birds, and restore data for those, you could also install them from the market and then restore just data for specific apps.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

4. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I've always just copied highscores.lua from angry birds and save it on my SD card...then paste into /data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds

sent from a loaded Droid

5. chewy74

chewy74 Active Member

Ratings:
    +16
    My googvoice works but I have to manually refresh to get new vm or sms. That or reboot and it will show any new messages...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

6. UltraDroid

UltraDroid Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +552
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 3, straight stock
    Here's the thing with me. I use Mabilo to assign ringtones to my contacts and a lot of thought and work went into *finding* the tune snippets (Mabilo is not the easiest program to set up), and saying "Yeah, that song is PERFECT for Anita!", then assigning it to her. If I don't restore the data with Titanium, I've got to spend a lot of time to get Mabilo back to where it was. I understand your desire for "purity", but for me it's a *monstrous* Pain In The Rear to have to reassemble everything from scratch. :icon_eek:

Ergo, while I respect your opinion and appreciate the insight into how to perform a very thorough wipe and install, it's just too much work for me to do every time I want to switch roms or themes.

-Mike

7. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I understand your pain. I know it can be a lot of work. Im not saying you cant restore your stuff....you certainly can do it however you wish. Im simply stating that for support to chevy in fixing bugs, its best if we are all on the same page. Its not a must for anyone/everyone to do it this way, but just more or less a disclaimer that if bugs start popping up and those that restored blame the rom...when the rest of us are not experiencing the same bug...it doesnt help chevy correct real issues that need to be addressed.

Gingerbread in itself was a ton of work to optimize for the D1. A lot of devs put a lot of time and work into getting it working right for the most part. We users are the ones that typically put the ROM through the rigors of everyday use. For us to report back bugs that were created from something we did is not always attributed to a "rom bug".

That was my whole point for the thread.

Hell, I used to be on MIUI and did this nearly every week. Full wipe installs...manual setups...and got tired of it.

8. UltraDroid

UltraDroid Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +552
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 3, straight stock
    Don't misunderstand me - I'm complaining, because I'm LAZY. :):)

-Mike

9. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,820
    Twitter:
    jstaff79
    You gotta remember this is a "your mileage may vary" thing. Some people have issue and some don't. The method yakitori wrote up eliminates possible issues. That's the main purpose.

Sent from somewhere...

10. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    on a side note. Here is what I do with my ringtones.

Download ringtone app (i see you use mabilo)

Download ringdroid app.

Play the ringtones you download with mabilo in ringdroid. Save them...and name them for their respective contacts.

Then navigate to your sd card under /sdcard/media/audio

and copy the ringer files you just created and named for your contacts. This way, they will reside on your sd card from now on...and you can assign them through the settings menu (or in contacts when you edit contact). This way they will show up on your list when you assign a ringtone.

You can then delete mabilo and never have to use it again. All your ringtones will be saved on your sdcard and show up in your list when you assign no matter what rom you use.

I do this with all my ringers. The only downside to this is if you are connected via usb..mounted to your pc...you will just get a general "ping" noise for a ringtone. If you want this to NOT happen you can copy those ringtones from your sd card to /system/media/audio/ringtones. Then it will play the ringone whether you are connected to the pc or not.

sorry for the long read, but its worth it to me. Set it up one time and you wont have to restore them everytime you switch roms

11. Gazooo

Gazooo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou for the post.

I installed the first time via ROM Manager and did wipe. After install I logged in at the beginning and the Market pretty much installed all of my apps.

I had weird issues with Chevy Tools ie: apps to sd and adds on and off would not toggle. I had frequent force closes while using my Xscope Browser as well as infrequent system force close.

Not terrible but idea is to have none. I followed your instructions and wow, just awesome! This ROM is the best, and my phone has never run better. I bought this original Moto Droid on its release date. That says a lot.

One thing I did notice was that when installing with ROM Manager I was given the option on which kernal I wanted. I did not get that when I downlaoded the zip to my mac and moved it over to the sd card. I see that at stock it has 1.0 LV (I think) Kernal.

This is just some feedback...

Gaz

12. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    You can download kernel from rom manager afterward. Thank you for the feedback

sent from a loaded Droid

Search tags for this page
black background website opera mini

how to install ss5

intaling sunsung ss5 in these phone.
intallation sunsung galaxi ss5.oogle.com/
root galaxy mini ss5