1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

[Installation] SS 5.X recommended install

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by yakitori, Feb 20, 2011.

1. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ok, I see a lot of posting lately about issue people have, and tend to quickly blame things on the ROM. Firstly, we are going from Froyo to Gingerbread. Thats a major difference. It makes it hard for Chevy to pinpoint exactly what is an issue with the ROM, and what issues can be caused by something the user did in their process.

SO....I wanted to put a thread together for streamlining the install process.

These are the steps I use when I install ANY rom.

Follow these steps, and if you have a bug...post it. If you dont follow these steps and post a bug...its just clutter and only slows the process of fixing real bugs.

EDIT By ChevyNo1 - MOST IMPORTANT - If you have ANY issues, ie. maps not locating, market crashing, etc - RUN FIX PERMISSIONS from tools (this runs the RM version now). This will clear up many issues!!

This is for clockworkmod recovery. If you use another recovery (spr, rzr...see if there is something that correlates to these steps within your recovery).

****WARNING...if you switch recoveries...immediately do a backup. If you have a recovery in SPR and flash clockworkmod...you will not have any nandroid backups in your recovery (for the sake of argument...yes..they are on your SDcard..but still...save yourself the extra steps)

FIRST MAKE SURE YOU DO A BACKUP
    Steps:

1. Boot into recovery
    2. select wipe data/factory reset...yes
    3. select wipe cache partition....yes
    4. select partitions menu
    5. format /system
    6. format /data
    7. install zip from sdcard
    8. choose zip from sdcard
    9. find your rom update.zip file
    10. ...select it...and yes
    11. after install reboot phone

12. at google touchscreen dont open your slider keyboard. Instead touch the four courners of the screen in successive order starting with top left corner, top right corner, bottom right corner, bottom left corner (clockwise). This bypasses the sign in.

13. 1. open market app. You will be prompted to sign in google account. OR
    2. settings>accounts and sync> add account.

14. DO NOT RESTORE YOUR APPS with Titanium or restore apps. Manually restore your apps with your finger and your touchscreen. It will take a while, but in the long run...will save you time.

Now, if you have any issues from this point...report them. I personally think if you have an issue with any other install method...dont bother posting...it only creates distractions from correcting ROM issues....because essentially you are injecting data from a froyo rom into gingerbread.

The issues that I know of in my experience are:

1. wipe installs...market will get updated from blue 2.2.7 to 2.3.2 green market. which is ok.

2. stock kernel gives error when turning on wifi. (fix: flash different kernel from Chevys gb kernel thread)...I use the 1.1 ghz mv and its super smooth.

3. when turning on compcache you MAY get a reboot at somepoint.

4. 3g signal is intermittent after voice calls sometimes. (toggle plane mode)

5. Market installation text is black, background is black...so you cant see it. (my theme fixed this. I personally prefer light background and dark text, but...I know chevy has fixed this in 5.0.1)

6. Google voice does not work (to my knowledge with any GB rom, some reported they got it working by restoring app data for gvoice via Tibu). If you are subscribed to gvoice, you can revert to carrier vm by dialing *73. This will call a number and hang up.

if there is any other known issues I missed...please let me know. ROM issues...not your issues created by restoring data from tibu or restore apps.
    :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011
  2. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Thanks yakitori! These are great, easy to follow instructions!!! I am a newbie, first rooted and themed my droid in January, have tried many ROMS before sticking with ChevyNo1. So far I have found his ROMS are super with the least amount of problems and the most support. I have also tried your Kuro theme on SS4.96 and loved it. Waiting for it on 5.0 or any other you decide to create. I have to say that this is my first time posting here despite that I have had my problems flashing and with bugs. My experience has been that if there is a bug then it sure enough will be posted with several options for solution. Sometimes I go from trial and error, trial and error to finally trial and success. I have found that if it is not posted then chances are I did something wrong when flashing and I start over from scratch. If all fails, I always have my latest nandorid backup. I have bootlooped and crashed my phone more than once but always got it back just by following support from these pages. With Chevy's 5.0, I have had the common gtalk and market bug after several times re-flashing to get it to stop and finally through trial and error have had the 5.0 working almost flawlessly for several days now. Basically I ended up following the steps you suggest above almost exactly but never knew about step 12, bypassing the sign-in. I also use RzRecovery which I discovered through this forum and I love it! I also very cautiously used TiBu for restoring data on some apps but I did it one at a time so I could go back when I discovered which restore gave me the problem. Your steps are superb and should solve most anyone's problems! You and Chevy Rock and when payday comes, you will get your whiskey and coke and Chevy a few beers! Thank you two for excellent work and support!
  3. UltraDroid

UltraDroid Super Moderator Staff Member

Excellent work, my friend! Thanks much! :)

-Mike
  4. Fault

Fault New Member

Nice post m8. Personally I had to switch over to LGB, having to many issues (Ive done everything that you posted) and the rom is just working a little better for me. Hope to be back for ss5.1
  5. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy New Member

Just to clarify, RKAPPS can't be used? We have to start from scratch?
  6. jrmdroid

jrmdroid Member

Great write up and thanks for posting. I did the wipe options in SPR when SS 5.00 was released. I did this so I could start with a clean install. Had a few issues and posted them. Come to find out SPR did not wipe the boot or system. Due to this there was left overs from a previous rom. I had been keeping up on the development of RZR (new recovery) and as a suggestion I installed RZR and did a wipe all function. After I reinstalled a fresh copy pf SS 5.00 most issues went a way. Now after all this there was an issue with the actual rom install using RZR. Raidzero did a fix and I did a reinstall no wipe of SS 5.00. Most if not all issues went away.

If anyone is still having issues and are using SPR try installing RZR 2.01 or if you are using an older RZR, (RZR prior to 2/18/2011) make sure you reinstall RZR and have current version of 2.01, then try doing a reinstall of SS 5.00 no wipe.

I on the otherhand actually sign into Google when asked after a full wipe. Then I let all my market apps install automatically. Then I use titanium backup to restore the data only to all my market apps. I do not restore any system data at all. I have not had any issues doing this way.

Doing a full wipe going from froyo to Gingerbread is the best you can do to elevate any issues and if an issue does arise more then likely is a rom issue. However, since this is gingerbread 2.3.2 keep in mind not all market apps may work at this point in time. If you have an app that has issues try clearing out the data for that app. If that does not work then see if the dev for that app has a fix.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  7. yakitori

I personally recommended not using any type of restore apps at this point. Reason is just to sort out issues that are solely attributed to the rom. Once they are fixed...then work on restoration processes.
    Keep in mind this is just my opinion. You do not HAVE to follow this...but if you have issues its harder to find out what's causing it.
    I started this thread so that everyone is on the same page as far as the rom is concerned. To reduce variability from user yo user.

It gets cluttered in the bug thread and stuff gets missed if you don't follow the entire thread. I was working on chump change so I fell way behind.

If you have concluded a real issue paraphrase it here.

sent from a loaded Droid
  8. brad r

brad r New Member

I restored my apps using Titanium with no issues.

If you restore manually, how do you get your app data back? I'm not going to beat all the angry birds levels again... that took forever. :)

I recommend reading this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ac...an-install-restore-using-titanium-backup.html It's specifically meant for wiping/installing Project Elite ROM, but with some discerning tweaks, you can tailor it to SS pretty easily.
  9. Icculus760

Icculus760 New Member

i'm sure your post will help a lot of folks, but i really think the first step should be a nandroid backup. i know it sounds silly to have to write it, but there are some people out there who follow instructions w/o thinking.

(actual story)
    teacher in high school gives out step by step instructions to the class on how to do graphs on TI-82.
    20+ min's go by and the lesson is over.
    teacher asks if anyone has any questions.
    student raises hand, "i couldn't get it to work right"
    teacher asks what the problem is
    student "i'm not sure, it's not working"
    teacher goes to students desk
    teacher sees student didn't even turn on the calculator
    teacher asks student "why didn't you turn it on first?"
    student "it wasn't in the instructions"

(ps - pay no attention to my sig - i'm on SS5 w/ Chump Change & am loving it!)
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  10. yakitori

I put it in the warning section if you switch recoveries. I was just thinking that before ever flashing a rom people should always have a backup to revert to.
  11. tbone73

tbone73 New Member

Well said, thanks for that it was much needed to be said.
  12. jrmdroid

jrmdroid Member

I do one app at a time in titanium backup i only do this to a few apps not all in my downloaded list. Press on an app and select restore then data only. Works for me. I only restore data on apps I have down loaded from the market.

13. holmes6

holmes6 New Member

Check out MyBackup Root, it has a nicer interface vs. titanium and you don't need to do silly crap like enable Chuck Norris mode.
  14. yakitori

I personally dont recommend using any restore app. I never have used them. As the OP says...if everyone is running a "pure" rom...we can specifically attribute issues to it. The goal is to have people with a clean install...running the same thing as everyone else...installed with the same method to reduce variables when trying to solve an issue. Which was precisely the purpose for this thread.

IF there is a ROM issue/bug, and we have all installed it the same way...and its clean....then we should all be having basically the same issues. It can be replicated..pinpointed...and focused on for updates.

Thanks!

When I going from Froyo to GB its logical to wipe and start clean. Depending on the updates for bug fixes...and what they contain, they may be wipe installs or no wipe installs. Personally for my phone..if its a full ROM release...Im wiping. I dont mind setting everything up again.
  15. 666ogre666

666ogre666 Member

Although not recommended I tend to restore all my apps with no data and then pick and choose which apps specifically need data, like angry birds, and restore data for those, you could also install them from the market and then restore just data for specific apps.

16. yakitori

I've always just copied highscores.lua from angry birds and save it on my SD card...then paste into /data/data/com.rovio.angrybirds

sent from a loaded Droid
  17. chewy74

chewy74 New Member

My googvoice works but I have to manually refresh to get new vm or sms. That or reboot and it will show any new messages...

18. UltraDroid

Here's the thing with me. I use Mabilo to assign ringtones to my contacts and a lot of thought and work went into *finding* the tune snippets (Mabilo is not the easiest program to set up), and saying "Yeah, that song is PERFECT for Anita!", then assigning it to her. If I don't restore the data with Titanium, I've got to spend a lot of time to get Mabilo back to where it was. I understand your desire for "purity", but for me it's a *monstrous* Pain In The Rear to have to reassemble everything from scratch. :icon_eek:

Ergo, while I respect your opinion and appreciate the insight into how to perform a very thorough wipe and install, it's just too much work for me to do every time I want to switch roms or themes.

-Mike
  19. yakitori

I understand your pain. I know it can be a lot of work. Im not saying you cant restore your stuff....you certainly can do it however you wish. Im simply stating that for support to chevy in fixing bugs, its best if we are all on the same page. Its not a must for anyone/everyone to do it this way, but just more or less a disclaimer that if bugs start popping up and those that restored blame the rom...when the rest of us are not experiencing the same bug...it doesnt help chevy correct real issues that need to be addressed.

Gingerbread in itself was a ton of work to optimize for the D1. A lot of devs put a lot of time and work into getting it working right for the most part. We users are the ones that typically put the ROM through the rigors of everyday use. For us to report back bugs that were created from something we did is not always attributed to a "rom bug".

That was my whole point for the thread.

Hell, I used to be on MIUI and did this nearly every week. Full wipe installs...manual setups...and got tired of it.
  20. UltraDroid

Don't misunderstand me - I'm complaining, because I'm LAZY. :):)

-Mike
Search tags for this page
black background website opera mini

how to install ss5

intaling sunsung ss5 in these phone.
intallation sunsung galaxi ss5.oogle.com/
root galaxy mini ss5