Installation of a ROM

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by HyperBRUIN, Sep 28, 2010.

1. HyperBRUIN

HyperBRUIN New Member

Hi people. I have a few questions. First off, I'm using ROM Manager and I've downloaded SS4 4.8 on 3 occassions and it keeps bootlooping. Is it because I have to wipe data/cache? Are there any ROMS that don't require a wipe data/cache? I'm too lazy to wipe unless Titanium backs up the apps when I "redo" the phone. Does Titanium do that, or will that app be wiped out too?

I like UD alot. I'm assuming that needs a wipe/date cache?
    Thanks!
  2. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

it cannot be emphasized enough - you MUST wipe data and cache before installing a new rom. yes, it is a little bit of a pain to reset your phone. but lemme ask you this: now that you've experienced repeated bootloops, how does that "inconvenience" compare?? ;)

as i interpret it, your concern about wiping is with respect to your apps. yes, if you use TiBu, your apps will be saved. but, most often you don't need it (but backup anyway!!) - because once you boot up the rom, and link your phone to your google account, the market automatically downloads all of your apps.

also, i recommend that for flashing roms (especially roms), RM isn't necessarily the optimal method. it can work fine, but it can also be a little buggy. for roms and themes, i always download to my PC, copy to my sdcard, and then install manually thru recovery.

here's the process i use, and it has worked every time (and i flash roms with some frequency):

1. backup your apps with TiBu (or thru Astro)
    2. create a backup/nandroid of your current rom (so you have something to fall back on if you experience any serious problems flashing a new rom)
    3. boot into recovery
    4. wipe data/factory reset
    5. wipe cache
    6. install rom zip from sdcard
    7. reboot
    8. IMPORTANT - let market completely download all your apps, and let it complete the process before flashing any themes, kernels, whatever
    9. boot into recovery
    10. flash theme (if you desire something other than stock)
    11. reboot
    12. boot into recovery
    13. flash kernel
    14. reboot
    15. enjoy! :)

good luck!!
  3. HyperBRUIN

HyperBRUIN New Member

....so?

Great, thanks! So how is a theme or kernal flashed? Doesn't it overwrite a rom?
  4. huskerkate

no, the theme/kernel will not "overwrite" the rom. a theme is just applied over the rom to give your phone a different "look". it generally has to be a theme specifically ported for the particular rom you've chosen. for example, if you choose SS 4.8 as your rom, you can flash Black N Bold as the theme. it just takes everything that Chevy has put into the rom, and gives it a black and chrome look (it's a sweet look, too, btw).

you flash the theme the same way as the rom, as i've described above - boot into recovery, and install the theme zip file from your sdcard. but for a theme, you don't need to wipe.

a kernel can be installed to give your phone faster processing speeds. don't quote me, but i think SS 4.8 comes with a 800 mhz kernel. you can install a 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 ghz kernel, overclock it using setCPU, and get faster processing speeds. again, this is installed thru recovery without wiping...
  5. rwking

rwking New Member

Husker!!!

I didn't fully appreciate your steps for flashing a ROM, but now I have to say THANK YOU! This process works beautifully. I will never install ROM Manager or any of that other crap. You can't go wrong doing it yourself and doing it your way. Thank you thank you thank you thank you! :) dancedroid
  6. huskerkate

glad to help :) but, i don't want to understate RM's usefulness - you can create rom backups with essentially "one button", you can fix permissions, you can flash alternate recoveries, etc. also, it's pretty useful for installing other zip files. for example, in a lot of themes, they will do minor updates using zip files, they will provide add-ons (such as themed keyboards) thru zip files, etc. RM makes it easy to install these "non-essential" zip files. but, for roms, themes, and kernels, i generally install these manually thru recovery.

but enough about installs - go enjoy your rooted goodness!
  7. ChiefIlliniwek5

ChiefIlliniwek5 Member

Recover settings?

I have yet to dive into ROM flashing as I am still trying to learn more before I do it. One question I have is whether or not I can recover my settings after I do a data and cache wipe and install a new ROM. For example, is there anyway to recover all of the ringtones, alert tones, app data, etc?
  8. Panzerpanduh

Panzerpanduh New Member

When you install from memory card do you just use astro to look at the files in the memory card or do you use rom manager's "install from sd card" function.

Also I came across a pretty comprehensive guide by Artem Russakovskii on how to install with rom manager (for people like me who suck at this stuff).

[Complete Guide] How To Flash A Custom ROM To Your Android Phone With ROM Manager + Full Backup & Restore | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Mods, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police
  9. Panzerpanduh

Panzerpanduh New Member

Rom Flashing still not working

Im having too many issues trying to flash a rom
    i followed Husker's directions and still no dice. First i tried to just install it without renaming the file (im trying to install rubiXFocused0.5PATCHED to my droid x). next i tried renaming the file "update" so that the file would actually be named update.zip AND renamed it "update.zip" just in case i was incorrect the first time. still no dice, i get some weird verification error that reads E: Signature verification failed. need help!
  10. Panzerpanduh

Panzerpanduh New Member

Yeah, terymolin, I'm trying to flash from sd card (i downloaded to my pc, put it on the sd card and rebooted in recovery and tried to apply the zip from sd card) but I always get an error that tells me that the signature verification failed...i did not try to use RM because it has never worked for me in the past...I've also tried to research this problem but have found no sites that are of any use...as of now I'm at a dead end and I'm looking for someone who has encountered/overcome this problem and can shed some light.
  11. turdbogls

turdbogls New Member

what steps are you following. i have NEVER even heard of this happening.
    reboot into recovery
    install zip from SD card,
    choose zip
    navigate to your zip
    choose it, select yes,
    let it flash
    reboot
    (make sure to wipe data/cache and make a backup)

also make sure if you are using clockwork mod, to NOT rename the ROM after you download it as it is not necessary and you could mess something up while re-naming.
  12. Panzerpanduh

Panzerpanduh New Member

so i download the rom, plug in my droid x into my computer (the setting is usb mass storage) i put the rom in the folder (on my computer it shows up as removable disk F: ) and i put the rom in there (ive put the regular rom in there, without changing it name, then that didnt work so i found a guide that told me to rename it update so that it would be "update.zip") then i shut off my phone, turn it back on while holding the home key, when the little android guy/caution sign show up i press the search button which puts it into recovery. i clear cache AND reset to factory settings/clear cache. Then i choose the option that says "apply sdcard: update.zip" after i click that option it says:

"E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

--Install from sdcard...
    .Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    (right now in this line it says "E: failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)" because i dont have a rom on the sd card but the rest is still there even when i try to install a rom on the sdcard)
    E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted."

so those are the exact steps i am using. currently the files that i have tried it with are:

ZapXRC2Final
    rubiXFocused0.5PATCHED
    928DroidBlackGlassX-DroidX-OTA2315-DeOdexEERR-THEME

(im pretty sure these should work but could it be that what i have arent roms or something?)

by the way i know for sure im rooted because A) i have super user and B) Titanium Backup is working (and so is free wireless tethering)
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  13. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    E:signature verification failed

This tells me that either you're attempting to flash a ROM for another phone or that you're trying to flash a ROM with stock recovery.
  14. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

You have stock recovery.

And a Droid x.

So You need rom manager and bootstrap I believe.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  15. Panzerpanduh

Panzerpanduh New Member

I have rom manager and boot strap but I'm trying to flash without rom manager (for some reason rom manager isn't working)
  16. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

I don't believe you can do it without an alternate recovery.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  17. furbearingmammal

Bootstrap supposedly does it by itself, but if you keep getting stock recovery then reinstall bootstrap and try flashing clockwork at that point. See if you get better results.
  18. Panzerpanduh

Panzerpanduh New Member

Correction I don't have bootstrap
  19. Panzerpanduh

Panzerpanduh New Member

But look at huskers steps...I'm trying to follow those and I get that error
  20. furbearingmammal

Search tags for this page
it says no such file or directory when i try to download cm
rom flash keeps failing