1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

install theme over a theme

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by dtnosk, Aug 7, 2010.

1. dtnosk

dtnosk New Member

running saphire 1.0
    Wanna try other themes can I just install over the themed rom or do I have to start from a fresh install?Thanks
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

Fresh install is always good...

Sent from my Droid
  3. carlz28

carlz28 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

If the theme is properly ported for the ROM you are using, there "shouldn't" be any performance issues. However, there may be certain things themed in one theme and not another. So you may have, for example, a themed Facebook app in the first theme. In your next theme you try, Facebook may not be included in the theme, so it will stay themed with the first one you chose, while everything else will be themed with the new version.
    I think that makes sense.

But like Cerea killer said..it's best to start fresh with the stock theme of the ROM. One of the many reasons it's important to do a back-up of a stock-themed ROM once you have everything else set up. You can always restore to a stock theme/ROM and then theme over it instead of having to completely re-install from scratch.
  4. UltraDroid

UltraDroid Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with what Carl says - a wipe will *never* cause you problems, other than the hassle of reinstalling apps, but NOT wiping can cause you big problems right off the bat. That being said, my personal experience with Froyo roms & themes has led me to take the opposite approach. I always do a full nandroid back up, but never a wipe. Froyo rom "B" gets dumped on top of existing Froyo rom "A", and so far, I've not run into any problems. Same scenario for going from a theme by Cuttalott to a theme by roberj13 - just slap the new theme on, and (to my surprise) no problems have come up.

I'm not recommending that other people avoid the wipe, just making the observation that this is what I've done successfully.

-Mike
  5. kevdog

kevdog New Member

If themes are not signed right (and hint --- they usually are not!!) -- usually there is a problem installing a theme over a theme. This might not be apparent initially but oftentimes FCs appear later when the conflict is encountered. Not to beat a dead horse, but you are probably best reinstalling the rom with a wipe and starting from scratch.
Search tags for this page

installin themes over roms?