Install The Android L Keyboard To Any Android Device No Root Required!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
4GRZAelnXkHi9Lrs6CKG71IS0htXJ6U2KnxICUrFn2_RYGJqMamJi5F_cNzZg6PCHaY=w300

The Keyboard from Android L can now be installed on any Android device! Earlier today there were a few methods for getting the Keyboard on various devices. Some methods included a flashable image and there was also an apk that you could download and install. However neither method was good for every device. Good thing developer "Shen Le" has extracted the Keyboard and packaged it into an app that can be installed on any android device. Installing is not as simple as just installing the app though.

To Install

-Grab the app from the Play Store
-Go To Settings on your Phone
-Go To Language and Input
-Turn On The Android L Keyboard
-Scroll Down To Advanced Settings
-Change Color Scheme To Material

To use just go somewhere you can type and pull down your notifications and switch the keyboard there.

Via Play Store

RyanPm40

Reaction score
This keyboard is great. They made some excellent choices in symbol locations, it feels easier to type on, and the swype feature seems to have been improved.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Still no secondary keys? Even ios8 will have secondary keys.
They did sort of add them . Long press the period key brings up a bunch of choices you can choose from though. I can live with that over Swiftkey or buggy Swype. No hoops to jump through to add words to the dictionary either.
Much improved over Google keyboard as it was.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I'm using it to make this post. It's not bad. I'm a little disappointed with the fact that it still doesn't have an arrow keypad like Smart keyboard. Other than that it seems pretty nice.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Long press the line feed key brings up a whole bunch of goodies, long press the space bar opens keyboard choices, long press the comma key brings up keyboard settings.
Change the theme isn't working and had been widely reported as so on reviews.
So far the gesture typing is about as accurate as the old Swype beta which many can attest was more accurate then the paid version. It practically reads my mind on sloppy hurried slides. Unless this thing develops a hiccup or unknown bug it's my keyboard of choice now. I'll make due with the lack of gesture for paste or copy

Reaction score
I'm liking the L keyboard a lot better the the stock board.

Sent from my XT1080 using Droid Forums

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Does anybody else not have an emoji smiley on their enter button like shown in the screenshot of this news post? I like that look better than the boring enter key haha

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
what would be nice is if someone would make an aftermarket keyboard with a line of numbers across the top, like my g2 has stock.
that is unbelievably convenient and the only downfall to running custom roms all the time.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Does anybody else not have an emoji smiley on their enter button like shown in the screenshot of this news post? I like that look better than the boring enter key haha

I have it only in text messages.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
what would be nice is if someone would make an aftermarket keyboard with a line of numbers across the top, like my g2 has stock.
that is unbelievably convenient and the only downfall to running custom roms all the time.

SwiftKey has that ability.
Check numbers row in settings, layout.
9umysere.jpg

2u8y4age.jpg

I'm still preferring Swype for Oppo because it's as crazy accurate as the old Swype beta was but has the added on features of the buggy Play Store version minus the bugs and uses Google voice for voice instead of Dragon. It can be found over on XDA for free.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
SwiftKey has that ability.
Check numbers row in settings, layout.
I'm still preferring Swype for Oppo because it's as crazy accurate as the old Swype beta was but has the added on features of the buggy Play Store version minus the bugs and uses Google voice for voice instead of Dragon. It can be found over on XDA for free.

nice! i didnt know that, it must be a newer feature. i have used sk for a long time, just not lately.

thanks