Install custom launcher do u freeze stock homescreen?

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
After installing a custom launcher like Launcher Pro are you supposed to or should you freeze the stock home screen app?

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope no need to. I also recommend downloading Home Smack from the market so you can switch back and forth if need be.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes you can, but I don't like too. Sometimes the alternate home replacement craps out and the stock home launcher will load as default. But yes you can freeze it.

OP
orangechoochoo

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Thanks! I will not freeze it. I thought it may solve the Ptolemy of the black screen I get until I press the home button.

chefboyardee

Reaction score
The what of your screen????

Hahahaha...my guess is that's "problem" typed quickly on an on-screen keyboard and auto-corrected :) Surprisingly it's not the first time I've seen that word typed on a soft keyboard!

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha...my guess is that's "problem" typed quickly on an on-screen keyboard and auto-corrected :) Surprisingly it's not the first time I've seen that word typed on a soft keyboard!

Ah OK. Had to look it up. It didn't make sense. Lol.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I will not freeze it. I thought it may solve the Ptolemy of the black screen I get until I press the home button.

That's just lag. Try other launchers as well til you find one that works well for you. The more popular ones are Launcher Pro, ADW, and GO Launcher.

OP
orangechoochoo

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I just noticed my post was messed up. What I meant to say is that I get that lag with LauncherPro, so I tried the fix for this problem in terminal emulator but it caused my phone to go into a boot loop. I had to do a factory reset and I noticed the lag was on the stock launcher too.

OP
orangechoochoo

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I read on XDA that someone has a custom launcher and froze the stock launcher and saw significant battery life increase because when you have both launchers active the custom launcher is layered over the stock one.

Is this true?

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've never seen battery life issues doing either one. The replacement launcher replaces the stock launcher. The stock launcher doesn't run.

a_lazy_dude

Reaction score
I just noticed my post was messed up. What I meant to say is that I get that lag with LauncherPro, so I tried the fix for this problem in terminal emulator but it caused my phone to go into a boot loop. I had to do a factory reset and I noticed the lag was on the stock launcher too.

This problem was really starting to tick me off too, mostly because I've been experiencing this since the days of the Droid 1. I had the same first mis-step as you when trying to apply the fix that used to work on my droid 1 and 3. I became determined to defeat it, and I believe I'm approaching a breakthrough. The problem, as I understand it, is some combination of a display buffer filling up (surfaceflinger, if I'm not mistaken) and the home application having the memory priority of a normal background application... so when that display buffer fills up, the space occupied by the home app is liable to be dumped. Then when you hit the home key, the application has to reload display buffer, and we're stuck waiting. I'm probably stating all this somewhat incorrectly, but I don't think I'm too far from the mark.

Anyway, the solution I found is to give the home app a higher priority so that it is further down the kill list when the display buffer starts filling up. Here's what I did:
0) You will need to be rooted to take advantage of this
1) Download Auto Memory Manager
2) In the app, hit 'menu', go to "running processes"
3) Select "list", then hit 'menu', then "sort by name"
4) Find your home app. In my case it was "Nemus Launcher" but yours sounds like it will be "LauncherPro"
5) Tap on your launcher, and select "Always keep alive"
6) The OOM Priority number next to your launcher should decrease significantly. Lower OOM Priorities are less likely to be closed than higher ones.

That's it. One bummer is that android appears to reset these priorities as it sees fit, so you'll probably need to do this every now and then. I only did it for the first time a few days ago, and when I went in to check the priority while writing this, it had been reset. Not sure when that happened, but I'll see if I can notice a trend and update this post if I learn anything.

EDIT: Looks like I may have spoken too soon. This setting appears to get reverted back to its original value within a few minutes. I'll continue looking into it though.

Last edited:

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
Idk if this is like this for everyone but when I run a launcher other then the stock one, I get a "Force Close" of the home screen...

I guess before switching launchers, have all Widgets, shortcuts removed from the launcher..

Seems to work now..

Sent from my rooted DROID4

(Edited) jus seen the post above mine..