install apps without market? (no data or service)

ballmore

Reaction score
is it possible to install apps on a Moto Cliq without having service and a data plan. A friend gave me there old phone when they upgraded to a Droid 2. They didn't have a lot of apps on it that would work without data connection. They also didn't have a file manager or app installer (like appmonster cupcake). I'm not trying to be cheap. I already have a Droid. I wanted this phone to play with. I use it right now as a camera, mp3 player, and a way to check out what is on my extra s.d. cards. I was hoping to put apps on it such as Picsay, and Photoshop so that I could mess with my pictures a little.

harrellj

Reaction score
There should be documents on the 'net about how to sideload apps for the Galaxy S phone on AT&T. It would require using ADB, but it should at least get you a file manager which you can then use to install any other .apk. Of course, the contingent is that you have to get those .apk files.

OP
ballmore

ballmore

Reaction score
ok.... how do I connect via wifi without a data plan or the phone being activated?
Also- It's a Moto Cliq not a Samsung Galaxy S
I've been doind searches on the internet but haven't been able to find any info. The phone dose NOT have a file explorer app or app installer app so I'm still not sure how to get started. If I had a way to load a file explorer app or app installer then I wouldn't have a problem cuz' I could do the rest. I already have most of the apks that I want to use. I just can't do it without an installer of some kind.
:huh::wacko::huh:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ok.... how do I connect via wifi without a data plan or the phone being activated?
Also- It's a Moto Cliq not a Samsung Galaxy S
I've been doind searches on the internet but haven't been able to find any info. The phone dose NOT have a file explorer app or app installer app so I'm still not sure how to get started. If I had a way to load a file explorer app or app installer then I wouldn't have a problem cuz' I could do the rest. I already have most of the apks that I want to use. I just can't do it without an installer of some kind.
:huh::wacko::huh:

You use the wifi instead of the data. If you can connect to wifi with that thing then you can use it anywhere there is wifi available for such things as checking your email, sending email, downloading apps, and even playing games on line. You don't need a data plan to access wifi, you just have to have it and a phone capable of working with wifi.

OP
ballmore

ballmore

Reaction score
Thanks a million Hook. I just wasn't clear on that first wifi question. I'm trying it out right now. So far I can connect to the market. I'm trying to d.l. something that is only 46.18kb but it's stuck in "starting download" mode. I'm sure that I just need to restart the phone and try again.
Thanks again guys for helping.
dancedroid:icon_ banana:dancedroid

harrellj

Reaction score
I mentioned the Galaxy S phone as a suggestion for search because I know I've seen guides in many places about how to sideload apps for that phone and the method would be the same (other than drivers of course). Lternatively, just searching sideloading apps in general should give a decent number of hits.

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?