Install Android P today

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
depending on the phone you have, you may be able to install the beta version of Android P today.

Here’s the list of what’s supported:
  • Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL
  • Pixel / Pixel XL
  • Essential Phone
  • Sony Xperia XZ2
  • OnePlus 6 (coming soon)
  • Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
  • Nokia 7 Plus
  • Oppo R15 Pro
  • Vivo X21

How to install the Android P beta today

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Installed it on my Pixel yesterday. Definitely will be posting more about it on Twitter as well as make a section on Android P on this forum this weekend.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I didnt install it on my daily driver. I bought an old pixel a month ago on swappa just so I could play around with dps (developer previews). My pixel 2 XL still has oreo.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm considering tossing it on my daily driver XL. Maybe when they get closer to the final build...
I caved. Downloading the beta OTA now on my daily driver.

Worst case, I'll have to wipe the phone when I leave the beta,but I could probably use a spring cleaning on my phone anyway.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I decided to pass on it. I just love all the customization I have with the custom ROM. I’m also not too crazy about the new look

iPhone 10

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm liking it so far. At first i didn't care for the gestures but once I got use to it I've warmed up to it. But I like that Google has it off by default. I think it is something that needs to be an option as many may find the change jolting. Give them a few builds up ease into and warm up to.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm liking it so far. At first i didn't care for the gestures but once I got use to it I've warmed up to it. But I like that Google has it off by default. I think it is something that needs to be an option as many may find the change jolting. Give them a few builds up ease into and warm up to.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Yeah. Jury is still out for me on the swipe up on home for recent apps, but I'm leaving it on to give myself the chance to get used to it.

It is kinda nice to have the bottom nav bar that much cleaner though.

I went to bed not long after installing, but so far, so good. I'll try to report here. I haven't really noticed anything that I hadn't already seen in videos on YT about the preview.

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
as long as you have a choice with gestures, then I will be happy. I really don't care about using them. call me old fashion.

they are claiming the android p will help break users smartphone addiction. I wonder if it means it will be frustrating to use :)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I guess the recent apps with the swipe isn't bad. I've used it quite a bit today, actually. What's nice is the app suggestions presented at the bottom when you enter recent apps. If that really learns to suggest the proper app I'm looking for at a given time under given circumstances, that could be nice. Still not sure I like the extended or double swipe to open the full app drawer, but my most used apps have a place on one of my homescreens, so I guess it's not so bad for apps I only use on occasion. It would be cleaner, imo, for the longer swipe that opens the app drawer to not temporarily show the recent apps, but I suppose that would cause a slight lag in opening recent apps as it waits to see if you're going to swipe a bit more to get the app drawer. Also, I wish they'd tweak the flick to the right for the next app on your recents list. I do swap back & forth between a couple apps sometimes. Double tapping the old recents button to pop back & forth was nice. I thought that's what flicking the home button to the right would do, but it cycles through all of your recent apps one at a time.

The big thing I'm still not sure on is moving the clock to the left of the notification bar. I've been an Android user since the G1 in 2008. That whole time, my clock has been in the upper right. What's worse than glancing to the right of my XL screen for the time & not getting it is catching the clock out of the corner of my eye on the left & thinking it's a notification.

One little touch that I do like is the battery percentage shows at the bottom middle in ambient display. I don't care for the percentage to show next to the battery icon all the time, so that's a nice feature for me to get a quick glance at exactly where the battery is without having it clog up my notification bar with one more "icon".

Other than that, the beta seems pretty darn polished. I haven't noticed anything that I'd really call a bug in my first day.

Can't really say much about battery life because I had an atypical day today. Didn't seem to be any worse than I expected though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk