Install Android Lollipop 5.1.1 On The Motorola XOOM

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The Motorola XOOM brings back so many great Android memories. It was the first Android Tablet that I ever considered buying. At the time I had an Ipad and just couldn't see buying a separate tablet. My Android addiction has really advanced since then I currently have 3 Android Tablets plus and Ipad.

The Xoom launched with Honeycomb which was a tablet only version of Android. Honeycomb actually caused a bit of a ruckus in the Android Mod world because it was the first Android version that wasn't totally open sourced. I guess Google didn't want manufacturers putting it on phones. Pretty quickly Ice Cream Sandwhich came out which was Google's first attempt at a phone and tablet unified OS. The Xoom has been end of lifed for several years now. If you still have your XOOM laying around you may be happy to know that a Rom developer has released the OmniRom for this device.

This rom is based on Android 5.1.1 and will bring Lollipop to your XOOM "Wingray" device. Of course you will need a custom recovery installed like TWRP. Head to the link below for the instal guide and downloads.

via XDA

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
makes me wish my kids hadn't drowned my xoom... I loved that device, and the power button on the back... much better than current tablets imho

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I still have mine. My mother used it for a couple of years, but she recently upgraded to the Surface.

When I received it back from her I was surprised once again at the build quality! It runs great and the only downfall I see with it is the screen resolution. It isn't terrible by any means however I am really spoiled by the resolutions on my current, updated devices.

I'll have to check if I left root intact on it and try this out.