1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Install and run Apps from SDcard instead of Internal Memory

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jared1337, Jan 13, 2010.

1. jared1337

jared1337 New Member

Is there a safe way to install and run apps from my SDcard on my motorola droid? Does this slow the phone down? Is it faster to have the apps installed on the internal memory or SDcard?
  2. Guchi

Guchi New Member

that would be cool hu. i dont think it is an option right now though
  3. jared1337

jared1337 New Member

Ya, because you run out of space too. When is android 2.1 for the motorola droid supposed to be OFFICIALLY released if your on verizon?
  4. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Running apps from the SD card is not supported on Android at this time. It is, supposedly in the works though. One note though, you will need a better SD card when it is supported. The SD card included with most Droids is only a class 2, generally for running apps you want class 4 or higher (the Droid itself supports up to level 6).
  5. pinesal

pinesal New Member

Don't bother. We don't need it on DROID unless apps get a lot bigger. Having apps on SD complicates the Nandroid. When I had the G1 with apps to SD Nandroid restore alway broke some apps and I had to resinstall them and set them up again.
  6. jared1337

jared1337 New Member

How can you tell what level your sdcard is?
  7. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

it should say. like a little c2
    the stock that come with the droid are 2
  8. jared1337

jared1337 New Member

are class6 way more expensive than class 2?
  9. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Not to bad. Saw 16G class 4 and 6 on newegg for like $40 last week.
  10. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Considering class is most likely speed, would going to a higher class improve functionality with, say, the gallery, or other apps that would be accessing data from the SD?
  11. mrZoSo

mrZoSo New Member

Yeah class is speed. I'm running a class 6 and you can tell the difference.
  12. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Yes but only likely minimally unless you're dealing with HUGE files. The transfer speed increase is usually only noticeable when running programs and streaming large amounts of data (i.e. recording/playing video). For pics and mp3s and stuff like that it's not really to big a difference. But this will depend on how often you use them. I only view picks and do media every now and then (few times a day maybe) so it's no big deal. If you use media frequently it might be worth trying to catch one on a discount.

Note: the main 'visible' increase is from 2 to 4, class 6 won't be very noticeable over class 4 unless you get to REALLY large files or running larger programs. You can often find good class 4s at WalMart for cheap. IMHO class 6 is overpriced considering on Video camera's ect are really 'optimized' for them or need that transfer rate.
  13. Droidster163

Droidster163 New Member

So if they began to support running apps from the SD card, would that be on newer phones that come out only. Or will we be able to update our phone's software to support it? I guess i'm trying to figure out if our phone IS capable of doing it.
  14. Big Cam

Big Cam New Member

Can you currently check the available memory left of the phones internal memory?
  15. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

The hardware of the Moto Droid supports class 6 cards as does the OS. You can see a difference now if your usage warrants it. We are just waiting for the OS to support the ability to 'run' programs from the card. So when Android supports it our phones will get it in the updated software IF that version/update comes to our phone. So if it is in 2.* series ROM yes, but I doubt it will be. Probably series 3 ROM at the earliest and, so far at least Android phones generally don't upgrade ROMs (though the Eris will be the first, so there is hope).

As posted above though there's not much reason for it though. The largest app I have found so far (that I use anyway) is still under 50M and it is HUGE compared to every other app. It's Sweeter Home and it includes the editing tools to build homescreens. Every other program that most people use is tiny by comparison so space really isn't a concern for 90%+ of users so there's really no rush.
  16. Berzerker

Berzerker New Member

Most likely, yes. But once you open something that accesses the SD, the contents are cached in RAM and it's pretty fast the next time you open it.
  17. evilsock

evilsock New Member

LUCID REM? apps 2 sd?anone get that working?
  18. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

I think I read that too, but google or someone were saying that in order for this to happen they need android to encrypt everything that goes onto the card so that people can't steal apps from the sd card like they can now with root.... rofl I'm sure someone will find a way, but it's that DRM type crap that's holding it back.

one other thing and it's probably not a huge issue, but how much extra wear and tear would running from the sd put on the card? I know they don't want to use it as a cache or swap space source because sd cards degrade with high use... or well probably any use really.
  19. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

A lot. It's common for WM users that run their programs to burn through cards regularly. Seems that the higher speeds (i.e. class 6) burn even quicker, IMHO. Probably another reason Google hasn't really been pressing the issue yet. So for the $$$ it really isn't worth it unless you for some reason need an ungodly number of apps.
  20. jasonb

jasonb New Member

After I clear all my caches I still have around 220 or so MB's left on the internal memory. I have all the Apps I want and have barely even began to use the available memory that we have. At first I was a little concerned with the amount of available memory, but most apps are tiny. I don't think I will ever be anywhere near filling it up.
Search tags for this page
android run from phone or sdcard
apps run slpwer on sd card android
do apps run slower on sd card
do apps run slower on sd cards
do apps run slower sd card
does having apps on sd card make it run better
droid install apps on sd card
droid run apps from sd card

how to run apps off sd card android

is there a way to instal apps on your sd card instead of int
run app from sd vs internal memory