Instagram Could End up Making More than $1 Billion Dollars from the Sale to Facebook

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
facebook-tmagArticle.jpg

One of the big pieces of news lately was the surprise purchase of Instagram by Facebook for $1 Billion dollars. More info has come to light recently that suggests the deal could actually end up being worth much more than that. Apparently, according to the New York Times, Mark Zuckerberg "negotiated [the deal] mostly on his own," and only 30% of that Billion dollar figure was in cash. The other 70% was in Facebook stock. While the $300 Million dollar cash part of the deal seems pretty lucrative, the stock option for the other 70% could increase in value if the IPO for Facebook goes well. Of course, if the IPO does poorly, it could go teh other direction, although I doubt you will see anyone involved complaining too much.

So... does anyone in the forums feel like they have a billion dollar idea? :)

Source: NYTimes

Reaction score
I checked out instagram and just didn't get the appeal. There are other apps out there that allow for greater editing. Thought maybe it was just my age so I asked my daughters and they agree. They don't see why it is so popular either.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Think i may have a billion dollar idea :biggrin: started working on the app just last week actually still top secret ha it's non root and if i pull it off think it could have a very big following. Conap is also doing a non root app :happy3: Init 2 Winit is looking to make some easier innovative apps this time around for releases.

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
I checked out instagram and just didn't get the appeal. There are other apps out there that allow for greater editing. Thought maybe it was just my age so I asked my daughters and they agree. They don't see why it is so popular either.

It was all part of the apple/iphone "Hipster" thing IMHO. Then all of us "green robot" users ruined it for them. :D

I am trying it out, but I don't like being confined to a square portrait. There are times I do like square portraits, but there are others where a panorama is more appropriate. And of course, there's everything in between. I'm also not fond of altering the original photos after I've done something to them already. To its credit, it is a nice, easy photo sharing service, but we already have a lot of those. Twitpic works fine for Twitter, so I see no need to add another to the mix.

Not sure if I'll keep Instagram on my Tbolt or not...

JoeyJ

Reaction score
I was going to dl the app yesterday but there was a permission that was weird. It needs to retrieve info on running and recently used apps. What is that for?

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
I was going to dl the app yesterday but there was a permission that was weird. It needs to retrieve info on running and recently used apps. What is that for?

The only thing coming to mind is that it integrates slightly with other apps for sharing purposes. (Your "Share with..." button, IOW.)

I know a lot of user comments in the marketplace get all bent out of shape about permissions and such, yet they truly don't understand what they do. I know I don't, however, I'd say our average member here in the forum knows volumes more than your average Verizon customer getting a smartphone simply to stay on top of their facebook account...

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Instagram popularity is based on simplicity and intuitive social integration.

It's not powerful software nor is it new. It's just simple fun. But you have to definitely enjoy the social aspect. If not it's like twitter without being able to read or share any tweets.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
Facebook is going down soon I think. It's not really anything big anymore. I personally stopped using it completely a long time ago.

This instagram thing I just never got into or even bothered looking into

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
My money is on facebook growing even more, especially once the IPO happens. But...remember what happened to AOL. They came from behind to overtake Compuserve, GEnie, and Prodigy to become the biggest online service company. Grew too fast. And it all imploded on them for one reason or another, including the explosion of the Web, and the idea that everything they offered for a stiff monthly fee was more or less available for free, and with unlimited bandwidth, on the Internet-at-large. During peak usage, I was shelling out around $50/month with Compuserve, and at best, I was comped for access to one area since I was a sysop. In comparison, my first dial-up account was $15/month, and I could putz around online for as long as I wanted. Back then, nobody even figured that you could get online and not have to belong to one of the big service providers out there.

I just think there are too many social media sites out there. Instagram is cool, but if I'm signed up for a half dozen other social media services, why would my friends want to "befriend" me at yet another service? It gets old. Nobody can agree on any one service they want to all join up at--I personally avoid facebook for numerous reasons, yet only some of them want to join me on G+ or Path. I'm actually liking Twitter more as I have increased usage: 140 characters, no strings attached, and my accounts are either public or private (aka "protected").

My gut instinct is that there will be a major shake-out. Someone like facebook will implode for getting too big, too fast, and getting too many people PO'ed at their lack of respect for member privacy. It is not like members will then flock to G+ or another service (as they did when MySpace became redundant)--something completely different may come along to replace the existing sites, a way we can network yet remain free of any one particular service.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
At first I wasn't sold on instagram. I use Photoshop Cs6 a lot(and previous versions before this) and have actual DSLR camera's because my mom used to be a photographer and now does it as a hobby, so I felt like this was stupid and cheap and hated how people that they were "professionals" because of cheap, pre-set, sepia filters.. but after using it the past 2 weeks, I'm sold on it. It's a fun way to share images with friends without needing to post 1,000pictures on facebook or Twitter. And they can be of anything, not just you or friends, without people thinking you're an idiot taking a picture of your food or something.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Facebook is going down soon I think. It's not really anything big anymore.
couldn't be further from the truth. it'll get bigger as time passes by simply for the fact of it being personal history archive.

imagine 20 years in the future where you're able to pull up personal info from the past and see what you did when you were younger with pics and videos and everything else. it's potential is HUGE!

alboboy10

Reaction score
You can do the same with any networking site, especially Google plus.

It's all an opinion on what may happen nothing is a fact.