Inside the Mind of Google

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones' started by TxDoc, Jan 14, 2010.

1. TxDoc

TxDoc Member

Inside the Mind of Google, Business, Technology, Search Engine, Privacy, Economy, Internet, Global Marketing - CNBC.com
    On CNBC tonight. I am sure it will be repeated this weekend. May have been on before.

[​IMG][​IMG]ABOUT THE SHOW

In the next CNBC Original, Maria Bartiromo takes viewers Inside The Mind of Google for a rare look at the world's most powerful technology company and its crown jewel, the Google Internet search engine. This is the fascinating story of how two grad students, in barely a decade, took a one-time research project and turned it into a global technology powerhouse...changing the way we interact with information, the Internet, and each other. See how Google came to dominate the search industry and turn it into a profit machine... and see where it's taking its next step... and how the company plans to address arguably the biggest controversy in today's digital age: privacy.
  2. funken

funken New Member

Was just watching it on break here at work. I especially liked the part on Adwords. I'm not sure I get Google Goggles... isn't it almost as easy to type in the search?
  3. TxDoc

TxDoc Member

I thought the same thing-why not type or voice search. I guess if you are somewhere and do not speak the language, then you can snap and stand there for help. :icon_eek:
  4. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

I saw it a couple weeks ago. It's very good. Well at least I thought it was.
  5. TxDoc

TxDoc Member

SHOW TIMES

Thursday, January 14th 9p | 12a ET
    Monday, January 18th 10a ET
    Tuesday, January 19th 10p | 1a ET
  6. Brandon

Brandon New Member

Besides the picture taking that google goggles does it also uses GPS to locate where you are and in the "goggles" mode you can look around at say a local restaurant and just click the link that comes up. This can provide customer reviews, website info for say a menu, and various other amazing things.

My co-worker was playing with this app at work and as she went to take a random picture of her feet the camera recognized the industrial work mats on the floor and showed how much the cost and where they can be purchased. I think the potential of this technology is incredible.

In a clip online Google was discussing how they are trying use this technology to say take a picture of a leaf and the goggles can tell you the type of tree and various other information about that plant. Once again I have to say I am excited by the potential awesome levels this technology can bring in the future.
  7. funken

funken New Member

For the restaurants and floor mats, I still don't see it being much different than typing "Nobu LA" into the search engine.

I can see it being amazing for things that can't easily be identified (like leaves, plants, animals) but that is still far from being perfected.
  8. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

I have to agree. There is an app my father has on his iPhone for bird watching (that sadly has yet to make it to the Droid market) and it allows you to search for birds by color, size ect. Would be cool to just take a picture of the bird and have it pull up info. Of as described above take a picture of an item in the store and get the sales info online (so far I'm less than impressed with the barcode scanners).

I will say though that they, like many companies have some screwed up thinking in many areas. My biggest gripe (currently) is with their maps. They dissolved their contract with TeleAtlas okay, understandable but WTF, they are spending TONS of $$$$ developing a Navigation system that now has no reliable maps (in many locations they are essentially useless). And at some point trying to do so many things may (and likely will) came back to bite them in the #$$ (see M$ for a good example).

But I LOVE my Droid:icon_ banana:.
  9. Brandon

Brandon New Member

This one app is cutting out like 10 steps

1) You don't have to type (even if your a fast phone typer)
    2) You don't have to filter through multiple results for the subject (10 different pizzeria's in the city)
    3) and it formats the results in a simple easy to use way. Restaurants and books get peer reviews. Books also get peer reviews as well as where you can possibly buy it cheaper. Business cards go straight to your contacts with all the correct areas filled out. Monuments get wikipedia information.

I understand you might be able to just search engine some of this stuff and that typing isn't a hassle for you. Cutting out these steps and allowing for me to just get on with my life and not have to stop a conversation with my friend to take 3 mins to open a mobile browser, type out what I am looking at, and make a decision based on the information given is good for me :p
  10. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Got to hand it to them. When they began, people said "yea right" Don't ever listen to the glass is half empty eh?
  11. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

LMAO, yeah, wish I had bought a few hundred shares of their IPOs... My ex's father bought 1,000 shares of Yahoo when it went IPO and well...
Search tags for this page

how to locate a restaurant in app