Input For Upgrade

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
One more thing that you may or may not know @Gudasau: any of the new (or newer) phones that you are considering use a smaller SIM card than the Bionic. You will more than likely need a new SIM, since most phones that come from Swappa do not have a SIM installed. The newer phones all use nano / micro SIM cards. There are 2 options that I know of: 1.) Buy a SIM cutter and cut your current SIM down to the new size. I have never tried it myself, but have seen posts on here from users that have done it. 2.) Go to your nearest Verizon store and ask for a new SIM. They are 100% free if you are a Verizon customer. I have done this for my last 3 phones and never had any trouble. The sales rep may try to convince you that now is a good time to look at your plan, renew your plan, pick a new plan, etc. They are just doing their jobs. I just politely tell them "No thanks, I just need a new SIM activated in my new phone on my current number, that's all". Even if the new phone (or used phone) you buy does ship with a new SIM card installed, you still may need a Verizon store to activate that SIM to your current phone number. Just figured I would share that, in case you were not aware.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
One more thing that you may or may not know @Gudasau: any of the new (or newer) phones that you are considering use a smaller SIM card than the Bionic. You will more than likely need a new SIM, since most phones that come from Swappa do not have a SIM installed. The newer phones all use nano / micro SIM cards. There are 2 options that I know of: 1.) Buy a SIM cutter and cut your current SIM down to the new size. I have never tried it myself, but have seen posts on here from users that have done it. 2.) Go to your nearest Verizon store and ask for a new SIM. They are 100% free if you are a Verizon customer. I have done this for my last 3 phones and never had any trouble. The sales rep may try to convince you that now is a good time to look at your plan, renew your plan, pick a new plan, etc. They are just doing their jobs. I just politely tell them "No thanks, I just need a new SIM activated in my new phone on my current number, that's all". Even if the new phone (or used phone) you buy does ship with a new SIM card installed, you still may need a Verizon store to activate that SIM to your current phone number. Just figured I would share that, in case you were not aware.

Thanks, I actually read that somewhere and made a mental note to stop by Verizon once I finally get whatever it is I decide to go with LOL. I'll be having whatever I choose shipped to me at work. I pass one of the big corporate stores on my way home, but figure I'll be so dadgum excited once I get something newer in my hands, I'll have to take an extended lunch break or leave early so I can run over and pick it up.
I do appreciate you thinking to tell me that, though. Not sure many know about the SIM card step.....

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Crazy busy at work, so little time to research or shop gently used phones over the last couple of days, but it's on my mind and I'm still quizzing my clients as they come in to my store LOL! Still not seeing any Motorola phones -- very odd actually, because my clientell is mostly high-tech -- for the most part. I'm really surprised at the amount of iPhones walk in the door.. Never been an Apple girl and ain't gonna start now.
I'm fairly certain I am going to go with the Droid Maxx (sorry to the Sammy guys) due to the build quality, my familiarity of the basics, and my history with the brand. The price certainly doesn't hurt my decision either. Heck if I find it not challenging enough or lacking in something, I'm certain I can con one of the guys who live under my roof into taking it ;)
There's a reason why I've stayed off these forums. I love gadgets and getting back on here and poking around, I'm seeing and wanting all kinds of new gizmos:eek: One item I plan to add shortly after receiving whatever phone I choose, will be a smartwatch. I see there are tons to choose from and will go to the appropriate threads to research and discuss, but do I need to worry about compatibility issues with the watches and these new-to-me phones I've been considering?
Again, thank you all so much for your valuable input and humor. As frustrated as I've been with my current phone, you've all made it a true pleasure to endue while I make my final decision.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
You should have no problem pairing and using any of the current name brand smart watches with any of the newer phones.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
You should have no problem pairing and using any of the current name brand smart watches with any of the newer phones.

Phew, thanks! Do they work on Bionics or is the husband going to be jealous?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Hmmmm.....good question. They might. If the Android Wear app says its compatible in the Play Store then it should work. It's just a blue tooth connection. As long as the Android Wear app is compatible with the Bionic it might work.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Retract that last post...looks like the Android Wear app will only work on phones with Android 4.3 Kit Kat and higher. I am pretty sure the Bionic is on Jelly Bean. I guess a smart watch will not work with a Bionic. Sorry.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Guess I'll go poke around & see.... If not, he'll be buying a new-to-him phone lol

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Retract that last post...looks like the Android Wear app will only work on phones with Android 4.3 Kit Kat and higher. I am pretty sure the Bionic is on Jelly Bean. I guess a smart watch will not work with a Bionic. Sorry.

Okay, I will plan on buying something for him in the near future

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I finally did it! I just ordered a new-to-me Droid Maxx! My oldest son is already talking about following suit! I knew I was going to start something in this house LOL!
Thank you ALL for your advice, support, and humor. As you all know, it's sometimes tough to make the decision to move into a new phone, and this go-round was very different for me since I couldn't just do the no-brainer and order the latest and greatest.
Again, thank you for your help!

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Knock-knock-knock... Anyone want to help me brush off the dust and bring it back to life for a little while?
I have been doing quite nicely with the Droid Maxx aaaaannnnnnnd converted all three guys under this roof to them, as well LOL! Today, sadly, my phone fell face down on the pavement and cracked the screen in two places.:( I can still read it fine, but it's acting a little finicky. I'm thinking I need to replace it UNLESS someone can tell me if the screen can be replaced and how long of a process that takes? A couple of hours or a few days? I can live without it for a couple of hours, but not days.
So, same question, different day. If I were to take a baby step up from the Maxx, what would a good phone be to consider? Money is still as tight as ever, so I would like to keep it around $200 or less.... Honestly, I would go with another Maxx, but Swappa only has a couple and they don't look very appealing to me.
I do KNOW that the 16GB that my Maxx has had me in a panic a few times, so I need a removable card or 32GBs. Battery life is fairly important, but if it has a removable battery, I'm okay swapping it out on the fly for more juice. I did buy a power bank, so that rides around with me everywhere I go for emergencies with my Maxx...
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
@cr6 will be along here soon to praise Moto phones and suggest that you stick with any Moto phone.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
@cr6 will be along here soon to praise Moto phones and suggest that you stick with any Moto phone.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Ha! I remember where his loyalty is!
I honestly think I'm most interested in Motorola (sorry cr6). It's familiar and I haven't had any issues -- except for that time with the CVS app killing my wifi -- which certainly wasn't the phone's fault. UGH, I wish money wasn't so tight, but it is what it is. In a way, it's kinda nice. Y'all get to figure out what the pros and cons of the latest and greatest are and then by the time I'm in the market, you guys are a source of priceless information.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Again I'll go back to suggesting a Note4. A quick glance on Swappa showed me they're available in your price range now. Beast of a phone, spec and performance wise , at a yesteryear price. 32GB onboard storage + removable memory capability . Great battery life after 5.1 gets installed but a removable battery is still an option in case your signal is craptacular all day or you're just a power user. AW works fine in it as well. The camera is tough to beat with anything but the S7.
Just something to think about

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
I love that Crapple added the ability to remove bloatware
<><

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Have you looked at the 5X? It's not top of the line but it's a nice little phone that won't break the bank. And I was a Moto-fan boi.