Information overload, please help!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by 0chilly, Aug 18, 2010.

1. 0chilly

0chilly Member

Hi everyone. Been reading hundreds of threads, multiple forums and guides for the past week or so, and I have not found the information I need. This site has definitely been one of the most informative I've found, so I figured I'd post my questions here. Thanks in advance for any help :)

I have a Motorola Droid 1 with 2.2 installed - OTA, not rooted, nothing.

I have one goal in mind: Get my phone ready to try custom ROMs. A little background about me. I'm very technical and I'm sure I could trial & error my way through all this, but since it's my only phone, I would prefer to utilize the knowledge of the experts and hopefully cut down on my mistakes :)

Based on multiple sources, I have already done the following:
    Installed to PC: RSD Lite 4.7 (Source)
    Installed to PC: Motorola 4.6.5 Driver (64-bit version)

Here's where I'm stuck. What do I do next? The best thread I've found so far is the SBF to root and to unroot thread, so I guess I'll base my questions on that.

Now, that thread says "some people have reported problems flashing sprecovery on top of 2.2 roms. If this causes you a problem then a fix would be to flash the stock 2.01 file first, and then flash the sbf file for sprecovery." So, I would prefer to flash the stock 2.01 file first, and then flash the sbf file for sprecovery. Ok, that's no big problem - in the thread's "box option 05" section, there's the "2.01 stock sbf file" which I can flash on using RSD Lite. So far so good - I am comfortable up to this point so I read back starting at "box option 02". It says "If you on stock 2.1 ..." - no, I would now be on stock 2.01, not 2.1, so what did I miss here?

So that's where I'm at. Instead of downloading the stock 2.01, it sounds like I should go with a stock 2.1, right? And then continue the guide?

I do have some more terminology questions I guess. Please tell me if I have this right.
    Start out with a stock image, say ESE81.
    Then add the corresponding SPRecovery to it, so it becomes ESE81 + SPRecovery.
    Now, using SPRecovery, I can add a rooted ESE81 to the phone, and still have SPRecovery there, right?
    If I wanted to go from rooted ESE81 to rooted FroYo, it's as easy as downloading the rooted FroYo and using SPRecovery to install it, but in the process, SPRecovery is eliminated, correct? Then I just have to install the corresponding FroYo SPRecovery?

My final question for tonight is about SBF and ROM terminology. I thought I had it down but I still have some questions. I thought ROMs were the full system/operating system files (stock ROMs, custom ROMs, etc.) but over on Peter Alfonso's downloads page I see stock ROMs, and SBF files. The SBF files say "Flash Using RSD Lite 4.7" but these are double the size of the stock ROMs! The stock ROM ESE81 (odexed) is about 61MB, and the SBF ESE81 is about 135MB. So yeah, even the files themselves confuse me at this point.

Maybe I need a few hours away from researching all this :) I'll check back in tomorrow, and hope some of ya'll have answered some of these questions lol. Thanks in advance! (and I do apologize for this super long post. +2 cookies for whoever reads the whole thing)
  2. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

First off, you should be able to flash the ese81sprecover.sbf over 2.0.1. , as I don't think there is a ese81.sbf out.if that doesn't work there are other ways to get it on so don't worry. I can actually get you a stock froyo with sprecovery .sbf tomorrow if you can wait.

If you followed the guide, no you would not lose sprecovery when you flashed froyo. You are probably getting that from a glitch involving ROM manager.

About the file sizes....ROM are just the operating system. The .sbf are everything on the phone, including underlying systems such as recovery and the bootloader. There's a lot more in the .sbfs.

I think I got most of your questions if you have more fire away.
  3. 0chilly

0chilly Member

Thanks for the fast reply! I haven't started any of this yet, since I wanted to have a clear plan of attack before anything.

I guess what I need the most now is the actual process of what to do since I'm on 2.2 stock right now. The guide says I should go back to 2.01, then proceed forward. That seems fine so here's what I'm thinking is the process:

Use RSDLite to bring phone back to stock 2.01
    Use [something] to get SPRecovery onto the phone (do I do this with RSDLite or by using the phone's built in boot loader menus?)

Once SPRecovery is on the phone, I can boot into that and flash any custom ROMs I want - is this correct? Using SPRecovery, it seems I can put on a rooted froyo (vanilla) or pretty much any of the other custom ROMs like Bugless Beast or Sapphire or whatever.

I think once I actually go through the process, I will be able to write a similar guide for all the other newbies to this, which will help. It seems every guide I have read is so specific with version numbers and requirements, so it scares me to just try something and "see what happens" if that makes sense.

Thanks again :)
  4. 0chilly

0chilly Member

I think this is what I'm looking for! I just watched a that showed exactly what i want to do, except he did it with 2.1 and not 2.2.

So, since I'm on 2.2, I can wait for your "stock froyo with sprecovery .sbf" file and then get that on the phone, which gives me SPRecovery and allows me to root/custom ROM/backup/etc.

Where should I watch for this stock froyo with sprecovery .sbf file? I assume this is something that's in the works already, and will be posted to a certain forum, as a sticky maybe?

Excited about getting closer to actually doing this :icon_ banana:
  5. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

Yes, if they have a SPRecovery_FRG01A.sbf type file coming, that would be your best bet. Other wise, you would want to flash back to 2.0.1 and then you wouldn't have to use RSD Lite to get rooted, etc. HOWEVER, the fact you have a 64bit system may prove difficult to use RSD Lite at all.

good luck