Info overload! Just want to know 1 thing about DX root, please.

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm still rocking my OG but now I have a shiney new DX and am researching root (of course). I'm fairly advanced with my OG but I simply want to know this:
If I root the DX with z4root and gain su, is that all I need to do to simply remove stock apps? I'm not too interested in OCing or even loading any custom ROMs at this time. I just want su access to disable stock apps.
I have been reading for hours on bootstrap, ADB commands, etc..... just want to remove apps. Thanks in advance!!

musicman

Reaction score
In short, yes. However, you may want to consider freezing the apps with titanium so you can easily get them back for updates.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
ClumsyNinja21

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Thank you for the response musicman. That's what I have been reading, that you shouldn't actually delete the apps because that screws up ota's. So I freeze them with TiBu and then when an ota comes out, just unfreeze them?

OP
ClumsyNinja21

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Wow...it almost seems TOO simple! LOL. I really appreciate you helping me out. I think I'm going to run z4 after a little bit more reading and if I get in any trouble, this site has been and always will be my life line. Thank you again.

OP
ClumsyNinja21

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
If anyone else reading this has any other warnings, please feel free to let me know! :)

OP
ClumsyNinja21

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Hey musicman, if I do this does z4 have unroot or do I have to go thru a major process to unroot? I don't think I would because im not putting in any special recovery right? It's still stock recovery?

the5barrons

Reaction score
Yeah, z4 has an unroot. Not sure if z4 root is available in the market right now. Someone has the apk
though.

You can also root and unroot manually...check for roolers guide thread. Very comprehensive.

"what evrrrrr"

Bxrider117

Reaction score
When you root your DX you want to download Bootstrap Recovery to boot phone into recovery mode. Rom Manager isn't as successful like on the OG Droid.

If you DX is on the latest Rom with Madden 11 which is version .340 of Froyo, I would try to install a rom like Darkslide 4.0, by BBCrackman or Apex 1.3 by Fabolous or Rubix 1.90. All of these are great roms for the DX. I am rocking Darkslide 4.0 because I really like the theme and the transitions/

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
One thing to be careful of is that freezing/removing some of the blur apps can cause the system to be instable if you're thinking of just running a rooted stock. Just be sure to make a nandroid backup to go back to before you do any messing around with the stock apps. So, you'll probably want to purchase the Droid bootstrapper app and install Rom manager so that you have a good way of doing backups/restores. Seriously will save you from headaches and possible sbf restores.

OP
ClumsyNinja21

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Oh wow. See? U guys r phenomenal. Thank u! So...yeah I just want to run a rooted stock dx for now. I have the current z4. So z4 gives me root access and the bootstrap allows me special recovery to do nandroids? I have a ton of rooted apps already including rm but this process just strikes me as daunting. I think it's cuz so people have so.many theories.