Info on Temperature programs

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by KZIWarrior, Feb 3, 2010.

1. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    This might be a bit technical for some but if anyone else is interested here is some REALLY good information about temperature readings on the Droid. Should be of interest to anyone OverClocked (or thinking about Over Clocking) that are concerned about temp(s).

Question about temp(s) answered:

2. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks, very good info.

3. mikedav1

mikedav1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What is a good temp? What would be a problem temp?

4. BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    Well you are asking for an opinion now, so here's mine. I'm ok with anything under 100F. I've gone above that once for a few seconds. The chip is supposed to good up to 113 per the manual. Setcpu now has a failsafe setting for what you want to happen if the chip reaches 111F. I have that now set to drop the processor back to 550mhz. I'm much more comfortable now with running at 950 because I've been watching my temp carefully and I rarely get over 95 in the normal course of browsing, surfing, talking, etc. And now with Setcpu having the failsafe profile, I'm very comfortable.

5. nyijedi

nyijedi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What about battery temperature? I've noticed that when overclocked to 800 MHz, the battery will feel a little warm under heavy usage and I've seen it go up to 39 C. Is this cause for concern, or should I only worry about the CPU temp?

6. mikedav1

mikedav1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I set my upper temp limit to 37.6C which is 99F. You have given me comfort.:)

7. BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    I think the manual says the max battery temp is 113F. I use Battery Life and they have a widget that will display battery percentage and battery temp in F or C. I've never seen mine over 100. I've never checked it while charging though, but I have my speed down to 550/125 so it would be no worse than stock.

8. nyijedi

nyijedi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for the info. I'm not quite sure how others aren't seeing a significant temperature increase - I've gotten my battery to 40 C and my processor to 39 C while overclocked to 800 MHz (under heavy usage). I guess it's probably safer to just stay on 550.

9. BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    Well, from what I've read, there is a lot of, or at least some, variance from chip to chip. Some will run at 1.1 and some won't. Some won't run at 1 ghz and yet mine was totally stable at 1.

Are you using Setcpu or something like it to turn down the clock speed when you're not using the phone?

10. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can attest that there is variance in the chip. When I was unrooted at stock speed my phone would get hot after heavy use (web browsing with music playing) and go to almost 40 C (seeing via BatteryLife from curvefish) on stock... I have since overclocked it to 800 mhz (any higher and I get nervous) and my temperatures are for the most part, the same. I haven't seen it over 41 C while using.

Is my situation uncommon? Did anyone else notice higher temperatures at stock?

Edit: I live in Florida so the ambient temperature in the air may have something to do with it as well...it is frequently 80 F or higher here, even in the "winter" with a few weeks of getting down into the teens.

11. nyijedi

nyijedi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I am using setcpu to turn down the clock speed when in sleep mode (550 max, 250 min). The phone hasn't been unstable since switching to BB - just noticeably hotter.

12. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I've got mine set in Fahrenheit. I read just yesterday that it's safe to go to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. True or false?

Search tags for this page

razr m ambient air temp sensor