Info about Data Drops

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by Scribble, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Scribble

Scribble New Member

Huh... Not sure if people have already posted this or not.

This Is Why Your Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Or Other 4G LTE VZW Phone) Is Losing Its Data Connection
    The jist is that apparently the data drops are in fact Verizon's fault. They decided to use a new way to authenticate whether or not we should have data that's the same between 3g and 4g but they are failing to authenticate and kicking us off. Some phones handle a bad authentication more quickly, and some just go into battery saving mode and stop so you never recover until you reboot/re-authenticate.

So I guess we can stop being angry at Moto and start being angry at Verizon.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Nice find...
  3. jughead75

jughead75 Member

I found an article that explains what you summarized so well.

This Is Why Your Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Or Other 4G LTE VZW Phone) Is Losing Its Data Connection

They better have a fix before 2014...............
  4. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

very interesting - thanks for sharing... makes a lot of sense too
  5. jntdroid

a-freakin-men...
  6. Scribble

Scribble New Member

Yes... that's the article I linked to. :p

I agree with your statement... No fix before 2014 would be pretty insane. But man... Oh how AT&T would love to see that.. They would be able to "get even" for all the time people said how much better Verizon't coverage was. :p

This also makes me wonder: for those of you still having big issues with data drops, are you using the battery saving modes at all? Or any other battery saving apps? I don't have a lot of drops (knock on wood) so I wonder if the reason that I don't use the battery saving modes helps. (IE it doesn't stop trying to authenticate as much.)
  7. jntdroid

I also wonder how AT&T's LTE will perform along these lines...
  8. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

It does make sense.

I wonder if this authenticating is on the local level. I mean, I don't have a problem, but that's because of where I am and not my particular phone. If I were to go where a person who is having data problems and stand next to them while they have no data, would I have the same problem?

I don't know about that; I have Juice Defender and I don't have the data drops.
  9. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Nice find. I guess it's expected stuff like this will happen in a new network. Hopefully they'll resolve it soon.
  10. big al

big al Member

Yes Verizon we can hear you now, but we cant text or email you now. GET IT FIXED NOW! stop worrying about expanding your 4G empire just so it looks good on a map. Fix what is broken.:angry:
    3 people like this.
  11. ripper2860

ripper2860 Member

Explains a whole lot and validates the "It's the Network" theory. If it was Moto then VZ would most certainly have done something about it rather than take the hit on their network's reputation.
  12. bluezdawg

bluezdawg New Member

Makes me glad that I have a removable, extended life battery :icon_ lala:
  13. rduckwor

rduckwor New Member

Interesting. I live in a very strong 4 G area and never have an issue at home. On the road occasionally I hiccup. I have the battery set for max handset performance, no battery saving.

RMD
  14. dbord

dbord New Member

Funny how before the recent update to my Bionic I had very few data drops, maybe one or two a week. Now with the update I'm having five to ten data drops a day. I agree if this isn't fixed by Oct. 2013 it's bye bye Verizon!!
  15. elidukart

elidukart New Member

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this but when my Bionic looses data and says searching for service I can still make phone calls/text and use data like it still has service. It is really weird but if I can still use my phone like normal it doesn't bother me that is says it has lost service.
  16. johnnyrocket

johnnyrocket New Member

this is good to know i guess...
  17. jdixon74

jdixon74 New Member

3G/4G Data has nothing to do with Text Messages or Making Phone Calls, those work off a different system then the data... Data would only be (internet, streaming data [music,video etc..])...

Now i live in a 3G service area between Knoxville and Nashville and i didn't loose 3G yesterday but i had to reboot 8 times the day before. It seems to happen alot after i use my bluetooth or swtich from WIFI or even pull out of the car dock. I am glad this post came out cause i was about to throw my Bionic at the head of a Verizon Manager and tell them to shove it and get me a Nexus. But Now i know the others are having same issues (maybe not as bad according to the post that each manufacturer handles authenticating differently).

I will tell ya this i was in Nashville over the weekend and i had 4G service and i never lost it once even though i lost 3G constantly during the day that same day. I do believe they have made the 4G service alot better but not fixing the 3G as this update was supposed to do.

I also was on the 5.7.893 leak and could not get the OTA to update on my phone. So off i went to verizon and they couldn't get it either so they gave me a new Bionic which i had the next morning. Just make sure you use dhackers releaseroot/forever root and get your phone back to stock before you take it into them. The funny thing was is that i was looking at the person's razr while i was there and they had rooted their work phone already and had XDA/Rootzwiki apps on their phone...
  18. elidukart

elidukart New Member

Yes I understand that, what I am saying is when my phone shows that I have no service I can actually still use data like it has service but shows that it does not.
  19. jdixon74

jdixon74 New Member

So you can still get on the browser, market, google music while there is no 3g on your phone?
  20. elidukart

elidukart New Member

Yes, I know it sounds weird but its exactly what I can do.
Search tags for this page

info dfkps.com