Inexpensive Desktop Dock

wkearney99

Reaction score
Trouble is I don't think it triggers dock mode. Yes, for basic charging it'd work, but it would be nice to have it trigger dock mode.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
It won't trigger dock mode....but you can download the bionic dock app which allows you to initiate dock mode.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.everysoft.bionicdock&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5ldmVyeXNvZnQuYmlvbmljZG9jayJd

I
use it with my Droid 4 and this dock. Not as nice as just plugging in....but cheaper than the official dock.

EDIT**

I just set up a smart actions action to launch the application on charging. I just have to manually click bedside mode (it offers bedside, productivity and car mode)

dewhashish

Reaction score
i bought the Droid 3 dock, and the Droid 4 fits in it with dock mode! it sits a little over the edge on the top of the phone, but it's a snug fit and doesn't move around. There's no marks on my phone from putting it on or removing it from the dock

Phaser4

Reaction score
Why is it that all the aftermarket manufacturers of Docks, never take into consideration that most of us use a case for protection? I use a plastic case on my phone and carry it in a leather holster that I found at Target. A generic XL one that fits my phone with a cover. But trying to buy an aftermarket charging dock, (not the Verizon $100) that will allow me to charge without removing the cover case seems to be impossibe. Verizon has the removable insert. I like the simplicity of a dock but I can't remove the cover everytime to use it. I had this same problem with my Droid 2. Come one you guys, make a dock that will acommidate a phone with a case. And now Motorola has decided to eliminate the magnet which woulf force me into an app. Come on!!!:angry:

schatzy62

Reaction score
Why is it that all the aftermarket manufacturers of Docks, never take into consideration that most of us use a case for protection? I use a plastic case on my phone and carry it in a leather holster that I found at Target. A generic XL one that fits my phone with a cover. But trying to buy an aftermarket charging dock, (not the Verizon $100) that will allow me to charge without removing the cover case seems to be impossibe. Verizon has the removable insert. I like the simplicity of a dock but I can't remove the cover everytime to use it. I had this same problem with my Droid 2. Come one you guys, make a dock that will acommidate a phone with a case. And now Motorola has decided to eliminate the magnet which woulf force me into an app. Come on!!!:angry:

Well there are so many different types of covers out on the market and each of them has a different thickness to them it would be about impossible for any one to make one that fits all cases and still hold the phone decently.

As for the "new" moto docks if you look at the way they are made they are fully adjustable and do not hold the phone the same way as the older style docks do. For the Droid 4 "only" the car dock from moto has a removable insert to accommodate a case and well the first case i had was still to big to make the phone fit in the car dock so I just dropped using a case at all.

Phaser4

Reaction score
Moto Dock

Well there are so many different types of covers out on the market and each of them has a different thickness to them it would be about impossible for any one to make one that fits all cases and still hold the phone decently.

As for the "new" moto docks if you look at the way they are made they are fully adjustable and do not hold the phone the same way as the older style docks do. For the Droid 4 "only" the car dock from moto has a removable insert to accommodate a case and well the first case i had was still to big to make the phone fit in the car dock so I just dropped using a case at all.

While I agree that there is a lot of variation, the car dock does have a removeable insert. Most all the normal plastic covers will fit it. Wish the hyperion one did also. The new Moto Docks docks that you speak of is very expensive. I do hve the car dock and it works fine with my case. My Droid 2 desk dock had the removeable insert and it worked well with a case. And just for the record, when I say case, I mean the plastict snap-on cases that Verizon sells as well as the aftermarket ones on ebay. Just saying...

Kenshai

Reaction score
The Droid 3 dock fits the Droid 4, I don't use a case, but I don't see why it shouldn't work with a case that is relatively slim. Can take pictures if anyone wants it. It doesn't slide as easy into the dock but it's still pretty nice and enables dock mode properly. \

The Motorola Droid 3 Desk Dock is less than $20 on Amazon.

wkearney99

Reaction score
I picked up an aftermarket D4 dock off ebay. It sucks. The USB connector is even tighter than the one on the official moto unit. Making it even more tedious to disconnect it from the the dock. That and it doesn't enable dock mode (but this was expected).

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I picked up an aftermarket D4 dock off ebay. It sucks. The USB connector is even tighter than the one on the official moto unit. Making it even more tedious to disconnect it from the the dock. That and it doesn't enable dock mode (but this was expected).

I bought similar and found this...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.redsulfur.razrdock&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

I
nstall that, setup a Smart Actions for (trigger) "charging, wall adapter" and run (action) "launch application" the Razr Dock ap.. When you drop the Droid 4 on the dock it will fire up the dock mode (bedside mode). It's easier to get on / off than the official dock because that uses both the HDMI and USB connection.

wkearney99

Reaction score
Yeah, the dock mode triggering isn't the issue, it's the USB connection. The factory dock is a bit too tight and there's no guidance on dropping the unit into it. So you have to put more effort into lining it up properly and pushing it down on to the connection. Then you have the hold the dock and pull the phone back up off the dock. This SUCKS compared to the previous D1-3 docks. Those made it a lot easier to use the dock.

The aftermarket unit I picked up is even WORSE. It has the ability to line the phone up better, but the USB connector is even tighter than the factory plug.