Industry Insider Explains How Some Android Products Can Use GPS Without Data Plans

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Apr 15, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Sometimes it takes looking at things from a different perspective before you can ascertain all of the facts. A good example of this is the myth that you have to have a cellular data plan to use GPS on an Android device. It turns out that many Android devices have a GPS system built in that only requires the correct app and configuration.

This particular tidbit of Myth-busting comes from a member of one of our sister-sites, over at RZRForums.net. For the sake of clarity, this is NOT a website dedicated to the Motorola RAZR series. This is actually a website dedicated to the Polaris RZR All Terrain Vehicle (ATV). At any rate, the member, username Redneck_Engineering, wanted to clear things up and offer some useful info regarding using Android tablets/phones as GPS systems when you are exploring off-road in your ATV. He is an industry veteran, and actually works for a worldwide GPS Navigation Company.

He shared the following info which not only clears up the misconception, it also gives great advice on how to get started using your Android device as a portable GPS for your ATV (or other wilderness exploration) needs. Here's a quote from his post,

Feel free to check out the rest of his post over at RZRForums.net.

Here's a direct link to his article: The FACTS about using your Smart Phone or Tablets GPS for Trail Riding - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net

2. DougDroid

DougDroid Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Now that is good to know! I don't know how many times I've been out in the middle of nowhere and thought I had to have signal to use my phones GPS.

3. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +771
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel 2XL
    Yup, I have a 3rd party map program so my gps dot shows up on something other than a black image.

4. Tonik

Tonik Active Member

Ratings:
    +67
    I have used CoPilot on my motorcycle for years for Nav because it installs the maps right on the phone. No data required. You can limit what states you download or download the whole country.

Works very well, preplan trips, drag and drop route changes. It rocks.

5. VirtualCLD

VirtualCLD Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I thought everyone knew this because it was patently obvious, but I guess I was mistaken! I used to do this for years when I had a Blackberry with no data plan. I still like to cache maps so I can use GPS when I'm outside of network coverage. Now if only the GPS antenna connection on my Sammy GS3 didn't suck so much! I tired tightening the back cover screws, but that only worked for about two months.

6. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +3,901
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    Also thought this was common knowledge.

7. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Silver Member

Ratings:
    +625

This.

However, I have to say, Polaris rules!! Though I prefer their Ranger UTV to their Rzr UTV. (OP, the Rzr is a UTV (side-by-side) not an ATV.) The RZR is more for racing, while the Ranger is a true working utility vehicle.

8. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +503
  9. RETG

RETG Active Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Me too. But I guess many don't realize that a lot of us travel off-road with a table that is only Wi-Fi and we use the built in GPS with an app like BC. And even my droid Maxx, in the middle of nowhere with NO cell signal will use "my tracks." I use it all the time when hiking to record the distance and time and in the places I hike, cell service is not a reality.

Search tags for this page
i want to use a tablet for a gps on my polaris ranger
rzr gps tablet
rzr samsung tablet
samsung tablet hookup to polaris rzr

tablet for gps navigation on rzr

tablet rzr