Industry first dual-screen Android phone - Kyocera Echo

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
kyocera-echo-600-rm-eng.jpg

sprint-blaine-1698.jpg

Sprint announces "industry first" at it's event today with the first dual-screen Android phone.
Under the hood there's a 1GHz second-gen Snapdragon running Android 2.2. There's also a new dual-screen app manager, which is brought up by tapping the two screens simultaneously. Unfortunately, third party apps can't be run in any of the new modes and just fill the entire display for now -- Kyocera and Sprint say an SDK is coming shortly. Interestingly, the Echo doesn't really run the optimized apps simultaneously when you have two of them open -- it quickly switches them in and out of hibernation, even though they're both displayed on screen.

Downsides? A 5 MP rear-facing camera with 720p video capture. And 3G only. Doesn't really catch the eye either.

Industry first DS phone?

What do you guys think?

Source (Engadget)

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
One of those screens can be used as a virtual keyboard. I'd like to see the next Droid 3 have a slider keyboard thats virtual. One never knows : )

OP
A

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
i kinda like it. 2 apps at once? Like texting while playing game?

Apparently the simultaneous apps thing is pretty complex (probably because it's in early stages)

They couldn't run a video and email at the same time.

Weird?

Also no pinch to zoom? I'm guessing it's just because it's early stages... hopefully. Or this is going to be a pretty sad phone.

corman324

Reaction score
that could possibly be the ugliest thing ive ever seen. props for actually coming up with that idea BUT...

i had a Kyocera phone and it was SOOOOO bad, i dont think i would buy one even if it was the coolest thing ever...terrible brand

i can read

Reaction score
This thing looks pretty much like a DS with a Sprint Symbol

GDP

Reaction score
How so you make a call with it? Do the two screens close against each other and theres a speaker on the other side? Or what?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

OP
A

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
This is probably one of the worst phone maker of any phone I've owned, but still it's a good concept. Imagine the possibilities of a dual-screen dual-core 4G phone. Talk on the phone while looking at Google Maps to send a email giving the directions all at the same time.

If a um... good? company makes a phone with the same concept it could be extraordinary!

Detonation

Reaction score
One of those screens can be used as a virtual keyboard. I'd like to see the next Droid 3 have a slider keyboard thats virtual. One never knows : )

A virtual slider keyboard? All the bulk of slide out keyboard and all the inaccuracy of virtual keyboard? Sounds like the worst of both worlds.

OP
A

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
Little bit more news from AndroidCentral

The 2 screens are both 3.7" and can be folded into one 4.7" screen.
1GB onboard memory with 8GB microSD card
1370 mAh battery
WiFi: 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth: 2.1 + EDR

Still not impressed. Anyone else perhaps hoping for the same concept from a better brand with a better execution?

champaned_out

Reaction score
i lost interest once i read kyocera....
also 1370mAh seems small considering theres two screens

04CiviCon20s

Reaction score
This thing looks pretty much like a DS with a Sprint Symbol

Coming from Sprint, Am not surprised by this..They need to keep thinking along the lines of the EVO4 (come up w/new features)and they "MIGHT" still be considered a wireless Co:icon_eek: