Inductive (wireless) Charging Cover

bluebanzai

Reaction score
Last edited:

roland

Reaction score
I did. The manual, which is two pages of info and twelve of lawyerspeak, says it is only for the Droid 4 and "a charging pad that is compliant with Wireless Power Consortium (WPC) standards."

I'm assuming most pads out there are compliant so I ordered a powermat 1X. It won't get here till next week. Then I'll know, I guess.

As an aside, the cover didn't make the phone much thicker. About a sixteenth of an inch. Noticeable but not terrible.

roland

Reaction score
Does the extra thickness how a case fits on it? will it charge througf a case on top of it?

Mine's not in a case but I'm thinking that's a definite maybe, especially for the more rigid of cases. It isn't very much thicker but it definitely is thicker. When I measure it with my dial caliper that I just happen to have laying around, I get just under 5/8 at the original thickness and just over 5/8 at the thickest part. In exact inches, that's 19/32 and 21/32. So I'd guess some cases would have more problems than others.

Depending on the thickness of the case and its conductivity, I would guess that it would charge but possibly with some loss of efficiency. It's an electromagnetic field so it would probably have a range of diminishing intensity.

roland

Reaction score
Actually I've got one for those times I can't charge but I have a problem that, apparently, isn't all that common. I often go to bed after my wife does, which means I do everything in the dark, and I want my phone on my nightstand, which means I charge it on my nightstand, which means I hook it up in the dark. And those micro usb plugins aren't all that dark-friendly.

A charging pad where I can just plonk my phone down to charge and go to sleep would be great. But I'm beginning to think that era isn't quite here yet. The powermat I ordered doesn't work and I'll have to return it.

OP
bluebanzai

bluebanzai

Reaction score
A charging pad where I can just plonk my phone down to charge and go to sleep would be great. But I'm beginning to think that era isn't quite here yet. The powermat I ordered doesn't work and I'll have to return it.

My wireless cover will be here tomorrow. I am going to be getting the "Verizon branded" LG model pad. It's cheaper than most of the others and from what I've read you can pop it open to cut out the mini speaker which is the only major annoyance I've seen from reviews...

I'll get back on how this works. Anyone tried other pads/mats/transmitters?

roland

Reaction score
from what I've read you can pop it open to cut out the mini speaker which is the only major annoyance I've seen from reviews...
That sounds like my only hope. Now that I know only certain pads will work with this thing, I have to use that one. I was going to wait for one to come out that I could use but I've got no problem at all with ripping out that speaker by the roots as long as it won't kill the pad.

OP
bluebanzai

bluebanzai

Reaction score
Got the cover and the Verizon sourced pad.

The inductive charge cover is about 1/16 of an inch thicker than the stock cover. This means that none of the Verizon sourced cases work--I pulled all 3 styles out of their boxes in store and none fit. I cannot comment on anything other than these 3 styles sourced by Verizon: hard case, gel case and hard case with holster. The inductive charge cover does fit in the Motorola branded, Amazon.com sourced car dock with no problem. Also, it's worth noting that this cover has more of a soft-plastic feel like the back of the Droid 1 as opposed to the textured stock cover. I like it but it seems like it might show more bumps and bruises down the line. Either way, it's gracefully rounded and has a good in-hand feel.

I also got the Verizon sourced LG inductive pad today and so far it works well; plop it down facing the correct direction and it seems to right itself ok. The beep has got to be one of the more annoying ones I've heard on any modern technology. I haven't tried popping the back cover off to find the speaker yet--there are no screws and I don't know where the tabs might be. Anyone tried this or found any info? I am going to have to try to find that thread on another forum that mentioned this method...

Anyone have any questions I'll check back sometime tomorrow...

Last edited:

TexasSilhouette

Reaction score
I have the wireless charging cover and Vz WPC-700 charging pad. No beeping. Would love to have a decent cover for it if one can be found.

dll6

Reaction score
Droid 4 inductive cover contacts

Could someone take a picture of the contacts inside the inductive charging cover on the droid 4? I've made my own charger out of a palm touchstone setup and would like to verify what the contact arrangement is on the iside of the droid 4 cover.