Inductive Charger

quentin-

Reaction score
Bionic-inductive-cover-540x302.jpg

capturenq.png

Anyone buy this? Just got mine today.

The inductive charging dock is $69.99, while the inductive battery cover is $29.99. But I think that Verizon is doing a promotion where all accessories are 25% off, so this helps if you are on the edge about buying it or not.

While I love inductive charging, I feel like it's a pain with the Bionic. I mean, now the entire device is just as thick as the top/camera portion of the phone :icon_evil:. It's not as bad as the extended battery cover, but it's still something to complain about. And the cover is quite a bit heavier than the stock cover (I'd say around 3x-4x as heavy!!), although this may be a blessing in disguise because of how flimsy and cheap-feeling the stock battery cover is.

The charging pad is huuuuuge, and it has very stupid notification lights. Why does it blink when it's charging and stay solid when it's done? It should be the other way around (you'd want it to blink and get your attention when it's done, and you DON'T want it to annoy you by blinking when it's charging, right?). The power indication light is red when everything is OK. Red is not the appropriate color to use when something is NOT having problems, why not use green? The magnets aren't that strong either, just strong enough to keep the device in place if it's on a slight incline.

Overall though, I think it's worth it. The bionic definitely rips through battery (although my last frame of reference was an under-volted Droid X with kernel tweaks and an extended battery). I think the inductive solution would be a bit more appealing to new 4G lte users, since I'm sure owners of the TB and the Charge have gotten somewhat used to the the gas-guzzler lte radio.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

GBH2

Reaction score
I really wanted to check it out when I bought my Bionic in store at VZW, nut they didn't have it in stock - I probably would have bought it if they had,

At this point though, I will probably wait and I may not ever buy it - I spent more than I should have on accessories already. I do think it would be cool if I had a charging pad in every room and built one into the dash in my car.

I think it will be the future when every other device is charged that way too.

I think maybe you should have a poll option for "It's cool, but I don't plan on buying it right now"

Mateles

Reaction score
*beep*

I just got mine today. This is my first induction charger and here's my take on it.

First off, here are some weights according to my kitchen scale...
146g: phone + stock battery with no cover
11g: stock cover
23g: induction cover​

25% off at Verizon: this deal is for when you purchase 3 accessories.

Cover Size: it does make the whole back completely flat, with the same thickness as the part by the camera. It still fits fine in the car dock, maybe even a little more snug now that it's a bit thicker.

Lights: I think it's probably going to be fully charged the majority of the time it's sitting on there, at least for me. So I think I prefer it this way where the light blinks when charging and is steady when full.

Noise (on the VZ charging pad): I don't like the *beep* it makes when you put it on the charger. The only time it beeps is when you put it on the charger, not when you take it off or when it's done charging. Since I share a bed, this probably means that I won't keep this in the bedroom because I don't want that *beep* late at night. Get in bed *beep*, check something on my phone in the middle of the night *beep*. This might actually be a deal breaker because I was trying to decide between the induction charger and the media dock.
Edit: It doesn't *beep* when you place the phone on the charger and the battery is already full, but it doesn't take long for it to lose enough charge to make it *beep*.

Does anyone know if induction pads work for different devices? For example, if I got an induction charger for a video game controller or something, would that work with this? The salesperson thought so. I'd like to find one that doesn't make any noise.

Last edited:

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
How long does it take to charge a fully empty battery?