Incredibly Slow Performace, Problem With Contacts/New Messages

Cory

Reaction score
I've had my Incredible for almost 3 months now. I love it, but it's turned to complete sh*t in the last week.

Whenever I go to create a new text message and I type in the person's name who I want to send it to, the drop down window with all contacts matching that name doesn't show up.

If I open my contacts and scroll through to manually find someone, often it will only load everyone who's name starts with A-J. It just ends at J as if I had no contacts from K-Z. Eventually (literally 5 minutes sometimes) it loads the rest of my contacts.

If I open a contact it sometimes appears blank until finally loading, sometimes minutes later.

Sometimes the people I have listed in my favorites widget disappear.

Somtimes FB seems to de-link itself and my contacts all lose their pictures.

Sometimes when I use the favorites widget to send a text message via the default function you get when you just tap on the person the phone locks up and is just loading forever.

I haven't modified my phone at all. It's stock Android 2.1 with Sense. Has anyone else seen any of these problems on their phone? If so, how were you able to resolve them? I'm trying to avoid having to completely reset my phone but I'm starting to think that might be the only option.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This would only be a simple fix and I'm not certain it will work, but these devices like computers need to be shut down from time to time. I would first start with a simple power down and battery pull. Leave it out for a few minutes the reboot. See if this helps. Sounds like your having some serious lag issues.

Also some apps can build up some serious cache. Try going into applications>manage applications and go through your apps and clear the cache.

OP
C

Cory

Reaction score
Thanks. I've tried to reset via pulling the battery multiple times with no luck. It seemed like it got a little better once but quickly deteriorated back to being slow.

I'll have to try your second suggestion.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Make sure you clear the browser and maps. They do have limits and clear themselves from time to time but its a starting point. Also did you download any new apps or update an app at the time that this started happening?

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Correct. Also, go into your applications manager and manually clear the caches for the contacts, the internet, your email, everything. Just select one at a time and select clear cache where applicable. Do NOT clear data!

OP
C

Cory

Reaction score
Correct. Also, go into your applications manager and manually clear the caches for the contacts, the internet, your email, everything. Just select one at a time and select clear cache where applicable. Do NOT clear data!

I tried this with no luck. I had only 2, maybe 3 apps which were using more than 750 kb for the cache. Those 3 were all 1.5-3 mb. I don't know if that's a lot for a phone but it certainly doesn't seem like it.

I don't know if this problem is related, but the android messaging process crashes somewhat frequently while text messages are loading.

Make sure you clear the browser and maps. They do have limits and clear themselves from time to time but its a starting point. Also did you download any new apps or update an app at the time that this started happening?

Not that I can recall.

Last edited:

slinky

Reaction score
You're not going to like this. I had to erase my Moto Droid and reinstall apps. That was what got me back and speedy, probably some data corruption.

OP
C

Cory

Reaction score
I'm thinking Im going to have to go ahead and do a factory reset.

It's working a little better-the drop down menu with contacts comes up in maybe 10-15 seconds instead of a few minutes but it's still incredibly slow.

RodgerRodger

Reaction score
Its already been said, but my phone was having terrible lag issues and when I called verizon, they told me to keep the phone on and pull the battery. That is supposed to do some kind of factory reset without wiping all your info and settings. when i put the battery back in and turned it on, it was fast as ever.

i consider myself a noob, so if this is useless info, i apologize. just trying to share what worked for me.

mauiblue

Reaction score
I've also been experiencing lag and sluggish performance with my Droid Incredible. I've been downloading a few apps from the Market (a dozen or so) and that's where I started having performance issues. I've backed up all my apps and data with My Backup Pro. All data and apps are on my SD card. I am not sure on how to restore my apps and data if I did need to so I'll be doing some research before I do jump in and do a factory restore. It just would be nice to get the device to be snappy and working at a better level of performance again.

mauiblue

Reaction score
I went ahead and did a hard reset on my Droid Incredible after I backed up my data and apps with My Backup Pro. After the factory reset was done, I restored my data and apps with my backup app and also used AppBrain to make sure all apps was returned to its original state on my phone. There was some quirkiness with some widgets on the home screens but that was easily remedied by removing and replacing them back on the home screens. All in all, the restore went well and my phone is functioning quite well again. Apps are opening much faster and the phone's performance is snappier and smoother. I now have my Incredible to where I want it to be performance wise and in function. SWEET!