Incredible's battery life is not incredible

hoppyjr

Reaction score
concerned about battery.......

Hi folks!

I am also concerned about this battery life issue. I had mine charging all night and took it off the charger this morning. My phone went from 100% to 92% in SIX minute and I did not even use any programs! I have ATK but it did the same thing without it yesterday. I am using the native Twitter app, but its set to manual sync. The only programs that are auto-syncing are email and weather.

I also notice that we cannot delete City ID from the applications list and cannot turn off Google Talk chat (which I don't use) .

I want to love this phone but this is significant enough to be a deal breaker.........any new ideas?

Hoppy

Darkseider

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I am also concerned about this battery life issue. I had mine charging all night and took it off the charger this morning. My phone went from 100% to 92% in SIX minute and I did not even use any programs! I have ATK but it did the same thing without it yesterday. I am using the native Twitter app, but its set to manual sync. The only programs that are auto-syncing are email and weather.

I also notice that we cannot delete City ID from the applications list and cannot turn off Google Talk chat (which I don't use) .

I want to love this phone but this is significant enough to be a deal breaker.........any new ideas?

Hoppy

Make sure your birghtness is turned down, your Wifi, blutetooth and GPS are turned off through the power widget. If the battery cotinues to discharge pull up its usage and see what is using the most and post it. We can go further from there.

JayT

Reaction score
As I said in my other post yesterday, I was looking under my battery usage, and cell standby is at the top of my list at 35%. When I clicked on it for more detail, I noticed it says 'Time without a signal - 45%'. Could the poor battery problems really just be poor signal issues with the radio? My signal does go from low to mid 90's to 105, even though I'm deep in Verizon country.

Now going on the assumption that the phone sends more juice to the radio to keep a cell signal, I've tried a little experiment. I charged up my phone, turned wifi on and the cell radio off (via *#*#4636*#*#) and started using the phone like I normally do.

Almost 3 hours later and I'm only down to 90%. Before If I just used it for a few minutes and left it alone it would be down to 60% after 3 hours.

Thoughts?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi folks!

Hoppy

Yeah, that's a false battery reading. Reset your phone and watch your battery come back.

hoppyjr

Reaction score
Ew
Hi folks!

Hoppy

Yeah, that's a false battery reading. Reset your phone and watch your battery come back.

what do you mean by false battery readi
ng? is this an android specific problem with all phones? will i have to reset the battery regularly?

Darkseider

Reaction score
As I said in my other post yesterday, I was looking under my battery usage, and cell standby is at the top of my list at 35%. When I clicked on it for more detail, I noticed it says 'Time without a signal - 45%'. Could the poor battery problems really just be poor signal issues with the radio? My signal does go from low to mid 90's to 105, even though I'm deep in Verizon country.

Now going on the assumption that the phone sends more juice to the radio to keep a cell signal, I've tried a little experiment. I charged up my phone, turned wifi on and the cell radio off (via *#*#4636*#*#) and started using the phone like I normally do.

Almost 3 hours later and I'm only down to 90%. Before If I just used it for a few minutes and left it alone it would be down to 60% after 3 hours.

Thoughts?

Well there ya have it. Crappy signal. Next question is is it the phone? OR Is it really a crappy signal? The easiest way to test this would be to exchange your phone for another. If the problem persists then it is definitely the signal in the area you are in. If the problem goes away do a :icon_ banana:dancedroid:icon_ banana: Dance and all is well. In any case that would be about the only EASY way to tell.

DeekBoy

Reaction score
13 and a half hours on one charge with some heavy texting... internet use and the works. i decided to just turn my internet off when im not using it... randomly getting on to check email and what not. makes a huge difference

how did you do that?

i have put the wifi, mobile and gps icons on one of my home screens so when i need it i will turn them on. no sense in having them on when im not using them

jamjr74

Reaction score
I am quite pleased with my battery life. I am getting 24-30 hrs off a charge with moderate-heavy use. I also received my Seidio 1750 MAH battery today and will charge it up overnight and start using it tomorrow. i will let you know if I see a difference.

grit

Reaction score
Horrible battery on HTC Incredible

Folks, there apparently ARE two camps here - those who are legitimately having VERY POOR battery life, and a few who are not.

I'm going to rant in a minute here, but for those of you are looking for a fix, please try the " *228 [send], option 2 " suggestion made earlier. I gave it a shot and TENTATIVELY it seems like my battery is doing FAR better.

I have (so far) fit into the VERY POOR battery life group. To address some of the arrogant responses so far (in general) from others:

- This is NOT my first smart phone.
- I do NOT have applications attemping to continuously use the network
- I did plug the phone in for a full charge. Lithium based batteries do NOT have memory and don't need to be trained.
- Yes, I have a signal. And no, poor signal strength doesn't cause more battery to be used. NO signal does since the phone polls for a carrier.
- No, I wasn't using the phone excessively.
- Yes, I powered down and up the phone. It doesnt affect anything, but I did it anway.
- Background apps aren't doing it. They get cached. They aren't USING the battery. Even Google's built-in battery useage meter system says that.

In a 12 hour period, I used the camera for 6 shots, all at one time. I talked twice via bluetooth for a total of 17 minutes. I read about 15 e-mails, surfed the web for 5 minutes, and read and responded to 5-10 text messages. At no time was I out of service range, according to the phone. Between 12-13 hours, the battery was completely dead after charging all night on the included charger. This occurred two days in a row. My previous Blackberry Storm had far far better batterly life in the same environment. Under those circumstances, it would have had about 60%-75% of it's battery left after 12 hours.

Things I DID change that same to make a difference:

- Settings -> Moble network settings -> Enable always-on mobile data [disabled]

I don't think this made MUCH impact. I read that this particuar setting really only helps if you roam off Verizon onto a very few older networks I was not familar with. I'm sorry I don't have the link or remember better. However, as it didn't seem to make a dramatic impact (maybe increased battery life overall from 12 hrs to 13 hrs), I didn't worry too much.

Dial *228<send>, press 2
This updates verizon wirelesses "roaming capability" on your phone, and the recording suggests you do it very couple of months. So far today, after about 2 hours, my battery, for the first time in 3 days, has NOT decreased when the phone is just idle and not being used. While I'll need a full day or two to confirm this, it seems to be the best possible lead so far.

Please search back earlier in this thread - this was someone elses suggestion and they made a great post about it.

I'm now guessing Verizon blew it because they usually do that for customers before we walk out the door with the new phone. Somewhere in there, that should have been done or customers should be TOLD to do that, particularly if it makes such a huge difference in battery life!

I'll report back at the end of the night and tomorrow with my findings. So far, this seems the most promising lead.

Last edited:

jamjr74

Reaction score
Folks, there apparently ARE two camps here - those who are legitimately having VERY POOR battery life, and a few who are not.

I'm going to rant in a minute here, but for those of you are looking for a fix, please try the " *228 [send], option 2 " suggestion made earlier. I gave it a shot and TENTATIVELY it seems like my battery is doing FAR better.

I have (so far) fit into the VERY POOR battery life group. To address some of the arrogant responses so far (in general) from others:

- This is NOT my first smart phone.
- I do NOT have applications attemping to continuously use the network
- I did plug the phone in for a full charge. Lithium based batteries do NOT have memory and don't need to be trained.
- Yes, I have a signal. And no, poor signal strength doesn't cause more battery to be used. NO signal does since the phone polls for a carrier.
- No, I wasn't using the phone excessively.
- Yes, I powered down and up the phone. It doesnt affect anything, but I did it anway.
- Background apps aren't doing it. They get cached. They aren't USING the battery. Even Google's built-in battery useage meter system says that.

In a 12 hour period, I used the camera for 6 shots, all at one time. I talked twice via bluetooth for a total of 17 minutes. I read about 15 e-mails, surfed the web for 5 minutes, and read and responded to 5-10 text messages. At no time was I out of service range, according to the phone. Between 12-13 hours, the battery was completely dead after charging all night on the included charger. This occurred two days in a row. My previous Blackberry Storm had far far better batterly life in the same environment. Under those circumstances, it would have had about 60%-75% of it's battery left after 12 hours.

Things I DID change that same to make a difference:

- Settings -> Moble network settings -> Enable always-on mobile data [disabled]

I don't think this made MUCH impact. I read that this particuar setting really only helps if you roam off Verizon onto a very few older networks I was not familar with. I'm sorry I don't have the link or remember better. However, as it didn't seem to make a dramatic impact (maybe increased battery life overall from 12 hrs to 13 hrs), I didn't worry too much.

Dial *228<send>, press 2
This updates verizon wirelesses "roaming capability" on your phone, and the recording suggests you do it very couple of months. So far today, after about 2 hours, my battery, for the first time in 3 days, has NOT decreased when the phone is just idle and not being used. While I'll need a full day or two to confirm this, it seems to be the best possible lead so far.

Please search back earlier in this thread - this was someone elses suggestion and they made a great post about it.

I'm now guessing Verizon blew it because they usually do that for customers before we walk out the door with the new phone. Somewhere in there, that should have been done or customers should be TOLD to do that, particularly if it makes such a huge difference in battery life!

I'll report back at the end of the night and tomorrow with my findings. So far, this seems the most promising lead.

My battery has gotten better after about the 4th or 5th charge. Do you use a task killer or juice defender? I use both. not sure if they even make a difference though.

grit

Reaction score
I used the 1A charger that was included with the phone. I also tried using my computer's usb port. I'm on my 5th full charge today.

The Lithium-based batteries are required to trickle charge once they hit about 90% of max charge. That should be controlled by the phone. They should also cut off before they are actually depleated, since draining a Lithium battery to 0% will actually damage the battery.

Durango_Boy

Reaction score
A buddy at work said all of his phones of this type have taken several charge and deplete cycles to get him to a lengthened battery life. At first he experienced 4 - 6 hour battery life with a full charge and minimal tasking. Now he can extend that to almost two full days.

I'm quite disturbed by the incredibly short battery life of my new Incredible but I have a feeling a few days worth of full charges will mean an increasingly longer battery life.

Odd suggestion from someone at work though, he suggested freezing the battery at least once. He said that can extend it's 'capacity' though I see no explainable reason.

hoppyjr

Reaction score
Well, I'm just about done with this phone. I have followed every instruction on this forum, but no joy. In fact, I charged it again, used task killer to end everything except the Darshan Computing battery status app, and then watched as I unplugged it......it went from 100% to 95% to 92% within one (1) minute!!!!! I had nothing else running.

I don't want to return it, but absent any help you guys can give, i don't know what else to do. I just know I can't accept this.

Thanks for any ideas you may throw my way..........

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm just about done with this phone. I have followed every instruction on this forum, but no joy. In fact, I charged it again, used task killer to end everything except the Darshan Computing battery status app, and then watched as I unplugged it......it went from 100% to 95% to 92% within one (1) minute!!!!! I had nothing else running.

I don't want to return it, but absent any help you guys can give, i don't know what else to do. I just know I can't accept this.

Try getting a replacement first maybe you have a bad device? Sorry if you did already.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

hoppyjr

Reaction score

Update - really sucks! I posted the prior reply from the phone and this was all I did. After I finished the posting, I checked again and had dropped to 86%. I did a reset and this appears to be a legiit number. Help?!?!?!?