Incredible's battery life is not incredible

OP
T

tempo

Reaction score
It's been all of 1h 19m since I unplugged my phone (fully charged) and I'm already at 88% battery. I haven't even placed a call! :icon_evil:

Battery use shows:
  • Cell standby 43%
  • Idle 41%
  • Android system 9%
  • chompSMS 4%
  • Display 3%

Did the *228 and restart as suggested. I have barely used it in the last 90 min, and no calls. Now 1h 28m later, I am at 91% battery:

• Cell standby 47%
  • Idle 46%
  • Android system 5%
  • Display 2%

<sigh>

zengirl

Reaction score
Task Killers, Advanced Task Killers, Auto Process Killers are NOT NECESSARY. Please read the following post on multi-tasking operating systems.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/41390-multitasking-phones-gizmodo.html

Please for the love of God and all that is good and right that is left in this world do not use one.

That is news to me...I read the article, but still don't understand why task killers are BAD...are they harmful?

Thanks!

zengirl

Reaction score
Link? Their site doesn't indicate Droid Incredible computability, but perhaps it's just slow to be updated.

Seidio - Your Single Source for Premium Smartphone Accessories

You had to search for it a lil differently to find it. One way is under 'New and Upcoming' on the home page, click in HTC Incredible.

Question - is Seidio better than other brands? (i.e., is there any reason why I should buy that one over this one: 4U 1500 mAh Lithium Ion Slim Extended Battery :: HTC Droid Eris Batteries :: HTC Droid Eris :: Droid Accessories for cheap !
?

Darkseider

Reaction score
Task Killers, Advanced Task Killers, Auto Process Killers are NOT NECESSARY. Please read the following post on multi-tasking operating systems.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/41390-multitasking-phones-gizmodo.html

Please for the love of God and all that is good and right that is left in this world do not use one.

I have one question (call me a dumb noob, this is my first day with a smartphone). But I was playing Pandora going into work and would like to stop the app so when I leave my car, it's not playing. I know I can just hit pause but if I am done with it until the end of the day, I don't want it sitting there paused. I could not find a way to exit the app (maybe there is and I missed it). In this case, I would like to exit the app. I had to power down / power up the phone to remove it (I found advanced task killer after this) and will only use it for things like this.

Am I missing something?

If you must kill the app. which isn't necessary, btw. Go to settings, manage applications, running services, and then just scroll through and tap on Pandora. Dead. Thats it.

word2218

Reaction score
It's been all of 1h 19m since I unplugged my phone (fully charged) and I'm already at 88% battery. I haven't even placed a call! :icon_evil:

Battery use shows:
  • Cell standby 43%
  • Idle 41%
  • Android system 9%
  • chompSMS 4%
  • Display 3%

Did the *228 and restart as suggested. I have barely used it in the last 90 min, and no calls. Now 1h 28m later, I am at 91% battery:

• Cell standby 47%
  • Idle 46%
  • Android system 5%
  • Display 2%
<sigh>

battery life is also an issue for me (similar usage stats as well), although I've had the Incredible for a little over 24 hours.. My Moto Droid was much better in this regards. I'll give it a go over the weekend where I'll be out and about and I know the reception will be much better than in my workplace.

I suspect it isn't any faulty hardware, it is probably just a combination of Sense UI and the upgraded specs at work with a smaller battery. I might invest in a Seidio battery.

Darkseider

Reaction score

That is news to me...I read the article, but still don't understand why task killers are BAD...are they harmful?

Thanks!

Simply put killing apps / auto killin apps that are running doesn't mean they stay dead. Some of them run in the background for a few moments to update and will continue to load over and over and over until they get what they want. By killing these apps and processes you are basically making your phone do more work than actually allowing the whole 30 seconds it will take to be happy, drop the application to nothing and then kill it if need be. Trust me when I tell you that there are ALOT of us that have tested this extensively, myself included, and have never seen ANY gain in battery life, ever. Chances are that if there is an app that is running away and not playing nicely it is poorly written in which case you would be better off uninstalling it than constantly killing it over and over.

Darkseider

Reaction score

Battery use shows:
  • Cell standby 43%
  • Idle 41%
  • Android system 9%
  • chompSMS 4%
  • Display 3%

• Cell standby 47%
  • Idle 46%
  • Android system 5%
  • Display 2%

<sigh>

Again that sounds like a signal issue. Normally when Cell standby is through the roof like that it means that the transceiver is working its' ass off to maintain a good signal. Seems that even though you have 4 bars the phone is working hard as hell to maintain that level. Could be a firmware issue, could be HTC's antennas aren't quite as good as some others. Who knows. I am sure that when more people start pulling stats there will be a more definitive answer and hopefully a simple baseband flash to fix the issue.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Link? Their site doesn't indicate Droid Incredible computability, but perhaps it's just slow to be updated.

Seidio - Your Single Source for Premium Smartphone Accessories

You had to search for it a lil differently to find it. One way is under 'New and Upcoming' on the home page, click in HTC Incredible.

Question - is Seidio better than other brands? (i.e., is there any reason why I should buy that one over this one: 4U 1500 mAh Lithium Ion Slim Extended Battery :: HTC Droid Eris Batteries :: HTC Droid Eris :: Droid Accessories for cheap !
?

I cant really say for sure. I do know that ppl have had issues with that company recently tho. Search the forums for cheapdroids. (all one word) Not trying to knock them, just relaying info.

Last edited:

zengirl

Reaction score

I have one question (call me a dumb noob, this is my first day with a smartphone). But I was playing Pandora going into work and would like to stop the app so when I leave my car, it's not playing. I know I can just hit pause but if I am done with it until the end of the day, I don't want it sitting there paused. I could not find a way to exit the app (maybe there is and I missed it). In this case, I would like to exit the app. I had to power down / power up the phone to remove it (I found advanced task killer after this) and will only use it for things like this.

Am I missing something?

If you must kill the app. which isn't necessary, btw. Go to settings, manage applications, running services, and then just scroll through and tap on Pandora. Dead. Thats it.

You could also tap MENU --> Quit on Pandora. Works like a charm.

zengirl

Reaction score

Thanks!

Simply put killing apps / auto killin apps that are running doesn't mean they stay dead. Some of them run in the background for a few moments to update and will continue to load over and over and over until they get what they want. By killing these apps and processes you are basically making your phone do more work than actually allowing the whole 30 seconds it will take to be happy, drop the application to nothing and then kill it if need be. Trust me when I tell you that there are ALOT of us that have tested this extensively, myself included, and have never seen ANY gain in battery life, ever. Chances are that if there is an app that is running away and not playing nicely it is poorly written in which case you would be better off uninstalling it than constantly killing it over and over.

Thank you for the explanation! I'm sure there are people who know way more about this than I do...the Verizon salesguy recommended a task killer, so it sounds like he might need an education on how the application management process on a droid works. Thanks again! :)

Phonegeek

Reaction score
Battery

Where can I order on of these batterys Seidio slim extended life battery

secgeek

Reaction score
So I got it last night at best buy after the usual 30 minutes of the CSR trying to figure out how to add a line to my account... Oh well.. They threw in the 2gb Card and I bought and 8gb so I can give my sister my moto Droid with the 8 and take the 16 for the incredible...

I got home this morning at 3am drunk... Managed to plug it in alongside my Droid... This morning at 8 when I rolled out of bed I took them both off the charger.. Did some light surfing on it and downloaded about 6 apps, synced my e-mail for 3 accounts, facebook and Twitter....

Headed to work... 30 minutes on the train.. both phones searching for service, Both Phones receiving my google voice sms messages, both set for push gmail. Both Logged into Aim/Googletalk

At around Noon the battery on the incredible was in Orange Zone... The Droid was still running strong almost full. I actually made a 10 min call on the Droid as well.... This isn't going to work.. Maybe just because its the first charge, but first impression not good....

Charged the incredible till 100% and both phones were just sitting on my desk (same sync profiles for both)... After 2 hours Moto Droid is at 70% Battery Incredible is at 60% (6 bars) WTF...

Fast Forward 2 hours

Charged it one more time to 100% when the phone was in orange... Now 2 hours off the charger, battery is at 50% and guess what Droid is at 45%... Hasn't been on the charger since 8am this morning... Actually made 2 calls on the Droid and not single call on the Incredible...

Final Thought... Might have to buy the Seido, but I will wait for the 3500... the current battery is 1300 gets around 5 hours of light usage, so the 1750 might get another 1-2 hours... I can't be functional with a phone that only lasts 7 hours.. I am away from my desk sometimes from the moment I get into the office... If I can get 12 solid hours with the 3500, I'd be ok with a little bit extra weight.. Otherwise the Incredible might have to go back no matter how much I love it...

Last edited:

silentbob343

Reaction score
I had my Incredible charged full and unplugged it at about 7am this morning and it just went below 10% at about 1:10pm. Now, I listened to Pandora quite a bit and played with it a bunch, so I know I had used it more than normal being my first day with it. I did bring my charger to work and am charging it back up. Probably not the best battery but I will work around it. Probably plug it in while at work most of the time..

Pandora + bad reception = battery nuke
Troof. Pandora rapes my battery on the Droid.

jasonb

Reaction score
i'm getting good battery life, actually incredible battery life.

i took my phone off the charger at about 2:00 this afternoon, and i'm still at 66% right now. i did some music streaming(with the display on the whole time), maybe 30-45 minutes of it, sent and received a couple of texts, and i kept waking it up every so often to check battery life.

66% left after 8 hours is ok with me. 4.25% an hour seems good.