1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Incredible vs. EVO 4G

Discussion in 'HTC Droid Incredible' started by kenny1244, May 6, 2010.

1. kenny1244

kenny1244 New Member

anyone seriously considering making this switch? the screen size is tempting, but i'm wondering how the specs compare. I (think I) know that the Incredible's Snapdragon is underclocked and I'm assuming that the EVO's won't be, but what about battery and other specs?
  2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

the incredible's snapdragon is not underclocked. it is 998mhz when fully clocked up. idle is 245. so it can run anywhere between 998 and 245.

the only thing better in my opinion is that it will run on 4G which can be a lot faster. verizon's 3g has proven pretty fast IMO. i have seen the HD2 and i think the HD2 and Evo 4G are to big. it will be one hell of a phone, but i'll keep my incredible.

verizon > Sprint
  3. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

Doesn't seem like much of a difference, even less so than the differences between the Droid and Incredible. If the screen size is an absolute must-have for you, then I could see upgrading. Seems like a small detail to base switching phones (and carrier) on already.

Sprint 4G would be nice, but you'd have to make sure it is currently offered in your area. But there is also the point of Sprint's WiMax (what they are calling 4G) not truly being "4G", even though it is being advertised as such. I don't believe the standards for true 4G have been finalized yet.
  4. jasonb

jasonb New Member

i have heard the same thing. i heard they are throttling it back. supposedly 4G is capable of a lot more than they are letting it to. not sure why they would do this, but i imagine they have their reasons.
  5. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

They are waiting for Verizon's LTE merger to be finished, so they can figure out a way to piggyback off of Verizon to save money ;)
  6. matt30

matt30 New Member

Right now my DI is perfectly pocket sized. I thought the iphone was too big for pocket portability so I imagine this would be worse.
  7. bl42ed0

bl42ed0 New Member

Probably so they can charge a bogus premium for a "4G+" data connection lol

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
  8. manilaboy1vic

manilaboy1vic New Member

way to wide.. inc size is perfect.. plus the screen display is actually bigger than iphone.
  9. ChansteR

ChansteR New Member

I have to agree. The sound of a 4.3 screen sounds tempting but from looking at the HD2, it is way too massive. I think the 3.7 is perfect in size. Just thinking of putting that in my pocket would be interesting...

Also, I am very satisfied with Verizon's 3G, it is plenty fast for me for when I need it. I am a pretty patient person so I don't need instant fast everywhere I go.
  10. jasonb

jasonb New Member

i think it's funny how a few years ago the craze was all about which phone was the smallest, now we are going back the opposite way again. i think the HTC Incredible is the perfect size. it feels great in my hands and in my pocket.
  11. jpoutre

jpoutre New Member

I just got my Incredible, coming from a flip phone. They could come out with a phone twice as nice, on a 6G network, I don't care. As long as my phone does for me what I want (it very much seems to now), I don't care. I am happy with my phone, a new phone does not make my phone worse. As I am sure the same for the Droid, the Incredible might be faster and other advantages (maybe) but if someone is happy with the Droid now, why would that change?
  12. jasonb

jasonb New Member

i switched from a droid to an Inc. the specs on the Inc were just super nice. i am glad i switched.
  13. BzB

BzB New Member

agreed with the comments so far. if you already have an incredible there's not much incentive to switch to the evo and to sprint imo. the incredible has the same processor, same camera, same os, and has a better form factor.

different people have different needs though and the evo will be a very good phone, just as the incredible and the droid are.

that said, here are the advantages of the evo vs the incredible:
    -sprint's $70 all in plan
    -4g
    -4.3 screen vs 3.7
    -front facing camera
    -720p recording
    -hdmi out
  14. g8gt2012

g8gt2012 New Member

Made me think of Zoolander's phone haha
    [​IMG]
  15. rushmore

rushmore New Member

Unless you live in a big city and do not plan on traveling too much, 4G is a pipedream ATM. You will likely have that sweet display and trying to play a Flash vid on it, and waiting for it to load, while someone sitting near you is watching streaming vids with no problem on their Inc or Droid on Verizon ;)

Seriously, Sprint 3G or above coverage is near weak levels of Tmo, which is terrible for coverage- unless in a bigger city. Even then, a lot of cities are only partially covered with high speed data access.

BTW, the HD2 has touch problems and is very slow in response time, compared to Desire and Inc. It will be interesting to see if they updated the sensors, like they did with those devices (they use the Nexus display with much better sensors).

What is the point of the great device and 4G- if it will take two years to have even a decent footprint of coverage? Are people assuming Sprint has the same highspeed data footprint as Verizon?

Verizon footprint = Lebron James foot
    Sprint footprint = Verne Troyer foot (Mini me)
    Tmo Footprint = Verne Troyer's big toe
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
  16. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

It's funny that you say that because I got so caught up in hype of getting a smartphone that I forgot how much I love smaller phones. I originally picked up the Droid in November as my first smartphone, and then I put a case on it for various reasons (battery cover was easily opened in pocket, etc). The thing was an absolute brick in my pocket! Depending on the pair of pants I was wearing, you could clearly see the outline of the phone, and I had to take the phone out of my pocket every chance I had when sitting down.

I realized I didn't really use the external keyboard, so I jumped on the idea of getting the Incredible when it came out just because of how much thinner/lighter it was. Now I rock the Incredible without a cover and I'm perfectly happy.
  17. Aluminum21

Aluminum21 New Member

My friends were telling me how huge they thought the screen for this phone was. I think thus screen size is as big as it should get before becoming a problem
  18. sillyrabbitt123

sillyrabbitt123 New Member

i had the mot now have the inc and think the inc look and feel is perfect!
  19. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

No... I have to disagree your statements they simply aren't true AT ALL.

I used Sprint up until last year and was tethering and enjoying 3G coverage with the Mogul back in 2006. The Sprint network is just about (if not as big) as Verizon. Even if you can't get a 4G signal with the EVO you can still access 3G and you can stream video just fine.

I'm typing this on a computer tethered to my Droid just like I did with my Mogul, and my old iPhone. I can tell you my AT&T 3G was slightly faster (not by a huge margin) and my Sprint and Verizon 3G speeds are about the same.

I'm tempted to go for the EVO and use 4G (here in DC).

With the EVO you get 3G just like everyone else, but you also have the advantage of using 4G if your area supports it. It works well for me because my home area has 4G. And the Sprint network has great coverage like Verizon. I travel atleast monthly and have used Verizon and Sprint all around the US... you can't loose with either. FWIW AT&T coverage is worthless in comparison though.
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
  20. kmo

kmo New Member

The bigger screen on the EVO will be nice for viewing but I think it's starting to be borderline to big for my taste. I'm sure it will be a very nice device though. It will be fun the next few months watching all the new phones arrive on the marketplace.