Incredible or PalmPre Plus?

rinderoo

Reaction score
Am looking to enter the smartphone market. The PalmPre Plus functions as a wireless router and is very attractive to me.
However the Droid is, well, cool--and does a lot of stuff.

But in the long run I need a good phone too.

Business wise I spend time in hotels and need a wireless connection for my laptop, so the PPP fits my needs perfectly. Palm has some business problems right now and I'm concerned that they might not be there in six months.

Any thoughts on PPP vs Droid/Incredible?

xliderider

Reaction score
The Android phones, when rooted, have wireless tether, which turns the phone into a wireless hotspot.

It works on my Droid and supports security protocols like wep and wpa/wpa2.

OP
R

rinderoo

Reaction score
The Android phones, when rooted, have wireless tether, which turns the phone into a wireless hotspot.

Hmmm..... a lot I do not know!

So does this mean on a long car trip that someone with a laptop can tap into my wireless signal from the Droid if it is properly set up?

And what about Flash and Adobe? Verizon guy today tells me neither are available with the Droid.

Please be kind... newbie here. ;-)

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com

Hmmm..... a lot I do not know!

So does this mean on a long car trip that someone with a laptop can tap into my wireless signal from the Droid if it is properly set up?

And what about Flash and Adobe? Verizon guy today tells me neither are available with the Droid.

Please be kind... newbie here. ;-)
1st technically thats correct, its less tapping into and more like going to a coffee shop and using wifi.

2nd dont ever believe what a verzion rep tells you. the moto droid will be getting flash, im not sure about the incredible though. palm will be getting it i guess but im not possitive.

zero7starz

Reaction score
Wow. ^Thanks. BTW I am a Verizon rep k, we're not all idiots behind a counter. There are alot of us here, too FYI.

Yes, flash is coming to ANDROID, not just a specific phone. There is actually a sign up for flash beta right now that is "coming out later this year" according to the web site, and then should be released soon after the beta period is finished.

Also, to the OP. Please don't get the Palm. They've been having some terrible problems, and they're really not worth the headache. Please, please, chose any other phone but the palm. Thats why they're so cheap right now is vzw is getting ready to drop it, just as soon as it came.

OP
R

rinderoo

Reaction score
zero7stars: Thanks for the info. I've been doing quite a bit of research and keep coming back to the Droid. The fact that no one is promoting the Palm PrePlus is bothersome to me, because it seems like it will meet my needs. But lack of apps, and a company looking for a buyer, does not sit well with me for this investment.

I've had some great Verizon reps, including an awesome CSR at the 800 number, and reps in two different store (one corporate and the other an authorized agent.) Will probably go with the rep in the Corporate store. Not going to order on line because I want all of the junk transferred from my old to new phone and will be upgrading several phones when I get the Smartphone.

Odd to me that these fancy computer phones don't have Flash or Adobe! I need both when traveling. What about Word and Excel? Is there an app for that?

mach330

Reaction score
one of the description on the droid inc is "flash lite". i'm guessing it does support flash? i'll let you know in 10 days when i get the inc.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Odd to me that these fancy computer phones don't have Flash or Adobe! I need both when traveling. What about Word and Excel? Is there an app for that?

This is one of those issues that amounts to a combination of corporate rivalries and technical challenges. Expect Flash support in the second half of this year.

PDF, Word, and Excel support, however, already exist in the form of the Documents To Go app.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
zero7stars: Thanks for the info. I've been doing quite a bit of research and keep coming back to the Droid. The fact that no one is promoting the Palm PrePlus is bothersome to me, because it seems like it will meet my needs. But lack of apps, and a company looking for a buyer, does not sit well with me for this investment.

I've had some great Verizon reps, including an awesome CSR at the 800 number, and reps in two different store (one corporate and the other an authorized agent.) Will probably go with the rep in the Corporate store. Not going to order on line because I want all of the junk transferred from my old to new phone and will be upgrading several phones when I get the Smartphone.

don't buy the palm pre plus. sorry to say... it feels like a cheap toy in the hand... if you play with it firsthand, you'll know what i mean. also the screen just feels tiny... and low res. only plus is WebOS... but who knows where the support will be in 6 months, when palm is bought out...

anyway, the incredible is hands down the way to go...

queueman

Reaction score
Palm Pre or Droid Incredible

I thought I wanted the Palm Pre, until I saw that no one was buying it and the price kept dropping. I got the Motorola Droid. Android now has 38,000 apps, most of them free. I think Palm's apps are mostly paid and I wonder about ongoing development for a platform that few people are buying.
Some of my favorite free apps:
Google Earth-Amazing
Dictionary.com dictionary-includes thesauras and pronunciation.
Ringdroid for creating ringtones from mp3s
Fuelbear for tracking your car's mileage and gas expenses
News and weather
Moon phases
Listbuddy shopping list app
Barcode scanner-lets you scan barcodes and gives prices for the same item at other stores.
Native apps on Motorola Droid (I assume will also be on Incredible):
Turn by turn navigation
Speach to text-really cool, say something and it translates to text, example on List Buddy, say "bread" and it types bread on your list.
I guess the Palm may have a shorter learning curve, but the Android has a lot of developers behind it. Just my 2 opinion.

Gremlin

Reaction score
There was a thread that was posted in march that had a bracket of all the phones that would ppl would like.. Palm pre plus was #1 and droid #2.. so how come palm won?

So what kind of problems does the palm have?

queueman

Reaction score
Am looking to enter the smartphone market. The PalmPre Plus functions as a wireless router and is very attractive to me.
However the Droid is, well, cool--and does a lot of stuff.

But in the long run I need a good phone too.

Business wise I spend time in hotels and need a wireless connection for my laptop, so the PPP fits my needs perfectly. Palm has some business problems right now and I'm concerned that they might not be there in six months.

Any thoughts on PPP vs Droid/Incredible?
Check out PDAnet for using the Droid as a tethered modem. I like my Motorola Droid. The Incredible is not out yet but I tried the HTC Eris and had more trouble on its virtual keyboard than on the Droid. I kept hitting the volume control while typing.

NuDroid

Reaction score
Let me tell you purchased the pre couple weeks after released, Battery life no good, Phone heats up after a 20min call, and feels cheap.. I returned it fot the Storm 2 ( 2 months later sold it on craigslist and purchased the droid ( Heaven).. Most of the pre problems also exist on the sprint version which I also owned before coming to Verizon.. Pick another phone an save yourself a possible problem..

Gremlin

Reaction score
If you root your droid, you can wireless tether your laptop to it instead of using PDANET..