Incredible doesn't mount to PC....ever.

prince_kalan

Reaction score
So here's the problem, I had this phone for about two months refurbished. Whenever I plugged my phone to my laptop (windows 7 64bit), the "Charge Only, Disk Drive, HTC sync, etc" menu pops up. I'd pick disk drive, it would mount, no problems. Now, all of a sudden, it doesn't do that anymore. When I plug it in now, the USB menu doesn't show up, it just charges. On the PC it does nothing at all, not even a USB connection sound or anything. (I'VE tried two different laptops so far.)

Before I get replies with these suggestions, here's what I've already done.

_USB debugging has always been on, turning it off doesn't work.
_Hard reset didn't work (formatting phone storage with factory reset and bootloader "clear storage" option.
_Redownloaded HTC sync for the incredible...nothing.
_Tried to reinstall,uninstall, and disable/enable drivers but I can't seem to find them? (Maybe it's a PC problem?)
_rebooted phone, computer, both at same time and while phone plugged in...nothing.

Can't think of anything else. Any help would be cool. I need music on my phone.

SubMatrix

Reaction score
For more diagnosis, the first thing I would try is plugging it into a different computer. If it mounts fine then obviously the problem is some configuration on your PC.

OP
P

prince_kalan

Reaction score
I've plugged it into 2 laptops and a desktop, and nothing happens but a charge. Computer doesn't even react to the phone being plugged in at all. Maybe it's the phone?

jpd

Reaction score
Stupid question, but are you still using the same cable to charge your phone? A couple of months ago I got a second charging cable for my phone, It was a little thinner than my original cable but I did not think twice about it. When I tried charging my phone it worked fine. When I tried using it as a data cable it did not. Was frustrated until I saw a thread about someone who had the same problem and figured out it was the cable. When I tried my original cable, and several others that are specifically labeled "data cables" it works fine.

OP
P

prince_kalan

Reaction score
Yea, I'm using the original cable. It was working fine until recently.

G

Grimster

Had the same problem. Rooting the phone causes this issue. My advise would be to go back to stock. All this rooting and roms makes the phone VERY VERY unstable and riddled with bugs. The people who developed root and roms for the Inc are not devs for a living. The instability and bugs are unacceptable. Dont bother with any of it.

crick616

Reaction score
Incredible doesn't mount to PC

I am having this same problem with exactly the same symptoms. Phone is not rooted and it used to work fine. But haven't been able to connect with USB and see phone as a disk drive. The laptop doesn't recognize a USB connection has been established. I have connection default set to "disk" and prompt always, but it never prompts nor mounts.

Chris

CursedArmand

Reaction score
I had that BS issue with my old Eris. Usually I would just reboot phone and laptop, problem solved itself.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

OP
P

prince_kalan

Reaction score
Reboot doesn't work, as I previously stated that in the beginning.

Averyj

Reaction score
Hey, don't know if you have been able to resolve this or not.

Menu > Connect to PC > Default connection type > Pick one!

Now on the Default Connection type page you want to uncheck the Ask me box.

Now this is on an Unrooted with 2.2.

Other things to consider would be how you store your USB cord.
Always wind it up no smaller than 3 inches in dia. Cords are subject strain over time. Some cords can handle better than other, so its best to treat them like they are the crappy ones, lol.

In the past I have had a Ipod that very bad about this. I was having to buy a new cord every 3 months until i figured out why. And the ones that Apple provides are low quality.

That said, the one that I got with my Droid Inc is very nice and I have not had any problems with it. But I do treat it very nice, not prized possession nice, but no pinching on the cord either.

Also keep in mind the length of your USB cable. The tech specs give a limit of 5m for high speed USB. Depending on voltage/current this can be lower as the 5m is based on the best possible not the most common or likely scenario.

USB extension cables can be troublesome as well. Creating data loss and voltage fluctuation. This causes problems with the PC establishing connection with your devices. Therefore your phone/device only has one option... charge. Versus normal operation where you get to choose, on your phone, what type of connection.

To test the previous paragraph above, plug your phone into your computer and watch how your phone reacts. You should see an option appear at the top left of your phone indicating the connection type(USB icon). Now plug the USB into the wall adapter for charging. Now you should see the battery with a lightning bolt and the orange light indicating charge, but nothing at the top left.

Sorry for the overly explained writeup here, but I hope I am able to shed some light on your problem.