Incredible 'Dancing' Android is Very Cool and Very Creepy

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Here's a slick off topic bit of tech news to share this morning. It's actually about an android, although it isn't about an Android. The above video shows off the latest advances in robotics, and must be seen to be believed. The movement of the "android dancer" is so realistic, it's downright creepy (especially with that masked face staring at us in the mirror).

The animatronic android is called "the Female Figure," and it was designed by a man named Mark Setrakian. Even if you haven't heard of him, you may have seen some of his work. Setrakian worked for Industrial Light and Magic, and some of his robotic handiwork can be seen in movies like Men In Black, Hellboy and Pacific Rim. Setrakian is also a former "heavyweight champion" at Robot Wars and is the designer of the Robotic Combat League's metallic warriors.

What makes his creations stand out is that they use a six-axis motion base and at least 28 motors, which far exceeds the specs on the typical robotic creations you see in animatronic puppetry. Interestingly, Setrakian credits 3D Printers for helping him build the parts which bring his creations to life. Besides the fact that his "Female Figure" has extremely realistic motions (although quite super-human), she is also programmed to follow users in the room with her eyes and head, which makes her doubly creepy, yet still very cool!

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well... I did describe her as a "dancer." Perhaps I should have qualified the description as "exotic dancer." lol!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Isn't that the dance from 'Cool World'? Seems like the same getup too, odd indeed.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So creepy. Why is it so dirty? I mean, literally dirty. After watching the video, the suggested videos to watch next had more of the same robot. The one I picked was even creepier than the original and she looks like she's been dragged around on a dirty floor all day.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
So creepy. Why is it so dirty? I mean, literally dirty. After watching the video, the suggested videos to watch next had more of the same robot. The one I picked was even creepier than the original and she looks like she's been dragged around on a dirty floor all day.

You probably don't want an answer to that question.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
The mask....why the mask. And why is she dirty/burned in places? Its like something you'd see out of the Fallout or Borderland series.