Incredible: ALL apps force close on startup

dbuck

Reaction score
i got it all back up, but it was a 4 or 5 hour headache that involved restoring, rerooting (don't know for sure if that was necessary) using nandroid, appbrain AND titanium.

i have shortened the process and planned ahead if it happens again, but i was posting just to say, i had not removed the battery and was experiencing the force close on all my apps.

it is definitely power related. once all the power was gone from my battery it acts as if it shorted the phone.

eric.eilersen

Reaction score
I had, word for word, this EXACT same problem. It's happened to me twice in the last 5 days. I also have a SEIDIO battery, so I'm guessing that may be part of it which really sucks. Anybody have any long term suggestions?

Ihatesmartphones

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me phone worked fine. I took the battery out to swap screens but ended up not doing it. So I put my battery back in. it got stuck on the red eye for a while. As soon as I went to pull the battery it went off that screen but i already pulled the battery out. Now I have a lot of missing apps. alot of force closing apps. no contacts everything is screwed up. Was there a fix to this issues. Unfortunately i didn't have anything backed up.

dbuck

Reaction score
No fix that I am aware of. Just a lot of redoing things. Obviously the lesson for the future, you need to have at least have a nandroid backup (like an ISO image of your phone) before you make any major changes. That was the lesson I learned the hard way.

Ihatesmartphones

Reaction score
Yeah I had to redo a ton of apps. So is nandroid a back up system. I've started to back up my phone. Is there anything that will backup everything on your phone or back up your phone online? I found some but not sure how good they are.

Ryan95i4

Reaction score
This just happened to me last night.

My battery died, I plugged it into the charger. a bit later i turned the phone on while stile on the charger, i got the setup screen. I hit back, and launcherpro was gone, phone had defaulted back to sense. all apps that were either on the SD card or used the SD card force closed at once. Any apps installed on the SD card were gone.

My phone is not rooted and i had not pulled the battery since i put the current 1500 HTC battery in, probably 6-8 months ago.

dbuck

Reaction score
IHATESMARTPHONES

Sorry I missed your message. Nandroid is like an ISO but of your phone. It's a system wide image. It backs up everything at a fixed point. Anything that changes after your Nandroid is made is not included.

You can back up apps via AppBrain online. I have found it slightly frustrating because it backs up to the Google Market. Say you get an app cheaper or free elsewhere, well, it doesn't know that and sends you to Google to get it.

ROMManager is a great App for back up. Pay and get extra features.

Titanium works great for App back up, but it is not an online back up. Again, you can pay and get some nice features.

Ryan95i4

Reaction score
After restoring everything from my last incident, this just happened to me AGAIN.

Again, not after switching batteries as it did to everyone else. Battery died yesterday, I put it on the charger, it started back up fine. Woke up this mornign, woke up the phone and everything was gone AGAIN. Anything that was on or used the SD card no longer was there as before.

I restarted the phone, and the familiar forced closes pop up again.

wtf.

Bandit41264

Reaction score
I use the same battery that came with my Incredible. I started getting an error message about the amazom MP3 app/forclose. All my Angry Birds apps are gone. I have a game called Plants vs Zombies and the icon is there but when I choose it the screen goes back to the Incredible home screen. The phone has not had any issues until this. What can I do to stop the force stop and get my apps back?

dbuck

Reaction score
bandit - is your phone rooted? if so are you running a custom rom? for instance, the cyanogen mod rom has a "fix permissions" feature that seems to stop lots of f/c issues.

Bandit41264

Reaction score
Force Close message

I am not sure what "rooted" is or how to do that. If it is something I had to do then probably not. :blink:

dbuck

Reaction score
Bandit41264

Rooting is something you would have to do and based on your question, I would say hold off on rooting for now. Rooting "unlocks" your phones potential. If your phone does everything you hoped for and more, don't root. If you want to mess with settings or customize your phone, then root. I used a program called Unrevoked 3. My first time was nerve wracking and worrisome but ultimately flawless and painless.

What you can try and do is uninstall the apps that are giving you problems, reboot your phone (quick way to do it on Droid Inc is to press Power, Volume Down and Trackball at the same time) then reinstall your missing apps. You probably have lost your data though. I believe there is an app for backing up Angry Birds, but I'm not sure if it will work on non-rooted phones.

Bandit41264

Reaction score
Droid Incredible apps/force close.

Thanks dbuck. I ended up taking my phone to the Verizon store. Of coarse the technician there said he had never heard of the issue I was having when I asked if this was a known problem with Droid Incredible. They did a reset of my phone so all my apps were gone but my contacts and pictures were backed up anyway. The same time I was in the store two more people came in with the same issue I had. It is hard to believe that this just started happening to us at the same time. If there is a known issue is the phone shouldn't there be a release to fix it?

The technician said I shouldn't add any apps that aren't from marketplace. I use amazon for many of the apps I use.

mockingbird1029

Reaction score
Ugh!!! I've been fighting my Incredible ALL DAY! Called Verizon this morning because almost all apps (except FB, Pandora, and factory installed) were force closing, email wasn't syncing, phone was just generally acting funny. Did a factory reset, and now it's worse than before!!! FB won't work with the update, just the old version. Market is only opening a fraction of the time.
Phone isn't rooted, just started acting funny after a trip where I started switching out the battery. If it weren't so crappy in the first place, lol, I wouldn't have had to switch!!!! Help!!

dbuck

Reaction score
Ugh!!! I've been fighting my Incredible ALL DAY! Called Verizon this morning because almost all apps (except FB, Pandora, and factory installed) were force closing, email wasn't syncing, phone was just generally acting funny. Did a factory reset, and now it's worse than before!!! FB won't work with the update, just the old version. Market is only opening a fraction of the time.
Phone isn't rooted, just started acting funny after a trip where I started switching out the battery. If it weren't so crappy in the first place, lol, I wouldn't have had to switch!!!! Help!!

Just out of curiosity, what is your 3G strength like? I had a similar problem with Market and someone suggested that my signal was the issue. I thought it sounded ridiculous. But then I tried it. I live in a low signal area (information I had not volunteered). Long story short, it worked. I did have to a complete wipe. Thankful for Titanium Backup!