Incredible: ALL apps force close on startup

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
This happened to me today when switching from my stock battery to an extended battery I bought from ebay. It sounds like the only choice I have is to factory reset so I will give that a try.

Will backup assistant restore my contacts after a hard reset?

It should. Do you have a mix of contacts between phone storage and Google online? Just make sure to remember to do a good backup assistant session before the reset to be sure you have as much as possible. There still will be the potential for losing some data but should be marginal.

cybil66

Reaction score
It should. Do you have a mix of contacts between phone storage and Google online? Just make sure to remember to do a good backup assistant session before the reset to be sure you have as much as possible. There still will be the potential for losing some data but should be marginal.

I actually dont use google contacts because it was causing dups in my contact list. When I changed the battery all of my contacts disappeared and the apps all force closed

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
That is really bizarre about the battery causing that but I think I might have heard of that before. I'll keep an eye out for similar threads.

So from the sounds of it, yes, run Backup Assistant and run the reset.

If you want a little more peace of mind, maybe invest in this app to help with the backup. Note, I don't use it personally but looks to fit the bill for what you need. Read over it and see what you think.

Contacts Backup Pro - Android app on AppBrain

yojay

Reaction score
Joining the club

Well, it just happened to me about an hour ago. Guess what? I was switching batteries for the first time since I got the phone in April. I just got this 1800 mAh battery set in the mail today:

CHICHITEC SPRINT HTC EVO 4G BATTERY 1800mAh high capacity OEM Verizon Incredible Droid TOUCH PRO2 HTC HERO

I put one on the charger and put the other in my phone immediately, since my stock battery had just run out. It came up at about 55% using Battery Indicator but no problems. After a few hours, I decided to switch it for the other battery that was now showing fully charged (blue light on the charger).

The reboot on that battery switch caused almost every sympton listed above in this thread. It sat on the Droid icon for a few extra minutes but I waited it out. It then told me it had just installed the OTA update that I had already received back in early November. Sadly, I had just moved about 15 apps to the SD card yesterday, so they all stopped working.

The last thing I did before switching batteries was accidentally launch the VCast App store and then cancel it out.

• Reinstalls of these apps didn't lose any progress though, so all my Angry Birds stars are in tact.
  • Fruit Ninja still won't run, even after an uninstall/reinstall.
  • Some apps won't recognize my logins right now either, like Twitter and Gowalla.
  • Yahoo Finance reinstalled, but I can't add the widgets I had before for individual stock prices. They aren't listed as options.

I know the DInc is picky about it's power supply, but this is crazy. I we cursed to use 1300 mAh forever? The whole idea of these 2 backup batteries was so I could get through an entire day without needing a wall plug or a PC.

Great thread. Sad to be a part of it. :(

Shade00

Reaction score
This truly is a shame. I have used the Chichitec battery for a couple of days and seen good results - but to be honest, the need to bump charge the phone is incredibly annoying. Plus, I hate the risk of this happening again if I change batteries. I have three different batteries and would like to change them from time to time without worry. I think I am going to go ahead and return the Dinc for a Droid X tomorrow and sell my spares. No more bump charging, low profile extended battery that actually works, and more screen space. The Incredible is incredible... but these things are a deal-killer for me.

techguru

Reaction score
Without explicit testing, I am now 100% sure that it has to do with how the battery gets inserted. After nearly two months without an issue, last night I was very tired and I had a couple of glasses of wine. I wasn't seriously drunk, but I was not as coordinated as usual. I went to change the battery, and realized after I put it in, that I had sort of gone in crooked and then pressed it into place, so not all four contacts hit the battery at the same time. Sure enough, booted up, and the phone had lost its mind.

Thanks to Virtuous Rom, Nandroid backup, and Titanium backup, I was back up and running with data just one day out of date pretty fast (I do nandroid backups every couple of weeks, a full Titanium backup every week, and incremental every other day, so I should never be more than two days out of date on installed apps and settings, and virtually all of my apps that save data either are cloud apps already, or I am saving their files to Dropbox.

Alan

Alan

akita747

Reaction score
frustrated

i was out last night and my incredible died before i could get home. once home i put it on the charger and turned it on, everything went crazy, lost all contacts, all apps force closed one by one, half my widgets were gone, any apps on the sd card were gone, my phone wont read the sd card and my phone settings had all been reset. it was late so i could not get involved with it at that moment. i restarted the phone this morning and same thing. i came here to see what may be the cause and what i might be able to do about it. i have the 1500 mAh battery from htc, and have been using it for months with no problem at all. i have not installed anything to the phone for weeks. its a crying shame to lose everything and start over.

icehands

Reaction score
This issue definitely relates to how the battery is inserted.

I only have the stock battery.
The other night I accidentally knocked my battery out.
Today my phone ran right until it died at 5%, then when I got a chance to charge it - it powered on to ALL the symptoms described...
- all apps force close on start
- no sd apps
- random force closing

I don't know what to do.
I'm rooted, have titantium, have AppBrain, all my contacts,calendar etc.. are on Google... ugh ticked!
I wonder how apps forced to my sd card will restore... (app2sd)

When someone get's a solution PLEASE post it!

techguru

Reaction score
This issue definitely relates to how the battery is inserted.

I only have the stock battery.
The other night I accidentally knocked my battery out.
Today my phone ran right until it died at 5%, then when I got a chance to charge it - it powered on to ALL the symptoms described...
- all apps force close on start
- no sd apps
- random force closing

I don't know what to do.
I'm rooted, have titantium, have AppBrain, all my contacts,calendar etc.. are on Google... ugh ticked!
I wonder how apps forced to my sd card will restore... (app2sd)

When someone get's a solution PLEASE post it!

Since you are rooted, the best thing to do is boot into Clockwork recovery and restore your last Nandroid backup (I assume you made at least one after rooting). Once the basics are restored from that, Titanium should restore all of your apps and settings pretty well, including the settings for those that are installed to SD. If you have the paid version of Titanium, it will do it in one session. If not, you will be prompted to install each app one at a time.

(Appbrain will also restore to the previously installed location, but absolutely one at a time, and it doesn't save your preferences in the apps the way Titanium does).

Once you are back up, boot back to recovery (or use ROM manager) and take a fresh nandroid backup. Do this at least once a week and you will be much happier if this happens again.

Alan

icehands

Reaction score
I went that route.
Unfortunately my last backup was in Oct.
Somehow I did not have titanium installed with this backup - busybox neither.
Might just have to use Appbrain to restore...

EDIT -- looks like my sd card just had trouble mounting, after installing titanium and busybox I was able to restore

I guess this is a lesson for everyone. Make a backup! Clearly this issue is spreading and no one has a fix.

j myers

Reaction score
I Have the EXACT same issues.,... Angry birds is gone, color note force close, along with google voice, and tons of software wont work....argh...so aggravating....I have the stock battery and 3 cheap batteries and i cycle through them as needed..it was while plugged into my car charger that it started .....my homepage went blank and it suckjs that i have to wipe it all....

thanks

docsol

Reaction score
Droid Force Close

My phone woke up with the same problems. Many programs force close. Now it is simply stuck in boot up, repeating "droid" and not starting up at all. I also have a seiko extended battery but have had it for quite some time. Is there any fix except for a reset???? I have no backup!
Help. I have a Droid Incredible and have tried removing battery and reinserting. I am in bootup loop!!!!! Can I do a factory reset from here?

techguru

Reaction score
My phone woke up with the same problems. Many programs force close. Now it is simply stuck in boot up, repeating "droid" and not starting up at all. I also have a seiko extended battery but have had it for quite some time. Is there any fix except for a reset???? I have no backup!
Help. I have a Droid Incredible and have tried removing battery and reinserting. I am in bootup loop!!!!! Can I do a factory reset from here?

You should be able to get to the hard boot menu.

With the phone off, press and hold the down volume, then press and hold the power button. A menu will pop up that among other things has a "clear storage" option. That should get you unstuck. Unfortunately you will need to re-install all of your apps, and any data not stored on the SD card (luckily most apps store their data to SD).

See How to hard reset the HTC DROID Incredible - Know Your Cell

The market will remember which apps you purchased, but you will need to remember the free ones (use Appbrain.com from now on to resolve that).

Google will automatically re-synch your gmail, contacts, and calendar. If you use any other imap email, those should also resynch. Pop3 email and SMS messages are probably lost if you weren't doing something to back them up.

Alan

Alan

dbuck

Reaction score
My issue is similar but different.

I have the stock battery (I also have an original DINC bought the day it came out). Last night my phone battery ran completely down (I didn't pull it). I plugged in up before I went to bed and when I turned it on everything force closes...even Market. Now I had something similar happen before and I was able to clear the cache for the Market and get it to work but it is not working.

The only nandroid backup I have is from October before the OTA update. I guess I am going to have a very long afternoon. Any suggestions or thoughts?