Increasing call quality?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by GadgetRick, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

There is a way to get into the service menu on the phone which has been published elsewhere. This morning, a user on cellphoneforums posted this:

For those of you that have not found out how to access your Droid's "secret menu", follow these steps:

Launch the phone application (like you were placing a call).
    Dial ##7764726 and press call
    The SPC password is 000000 (6 zeros)
    Press OK and you're in
    Improving your call quality:

Verizon Wireless places some standard settings on the phone that makes it use less of their network capacity and use less of the battery. These settings, unlike in other devices, can be altered in the programming menu. Here's how to do it:

Follow all of the steps (1-4) above.
    Choose option 4, vocode
    You will see three options: 13K, EVRC, EVRC-B. 13K has the poorest call quality, EVRC has the standard moderate call quality, and EVRC-B has the BEST call quality.
    Choose EVRC-B. Your phone is naturally set on EVRC.
    Exit the menu
    Please note: this will decrease your battery life--the antenna on your phone is amplified.

If anyone out there decides to try this (it won't hurt the phone), please post your reactions and how much it actually improved your call quality

Seems like you can use it to increase call quality at the expense of battery life. I've not tried this yet as I want to see how much it kills the battery and I don't have a complaint about call quality.
  2. JoeeDB

JoeeDB Member

Just tried it. Yes, the call quality is a lot better! However it made my phone act very weird at first so I undid it. It would go very slow and act funny at first but after a few restarts it seemed to be working better but was still sort of slow so I changed it back. Maybe after another restart and letting it sit for a while it would act normal again? I don't know, someone else try it haha.
  3. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Gadget,

Do you have an actual link to the thread on the other forum? I ask, as something in your post perked my interest. This process has been discussed here in one of the longer call or trouble shooting threads. The other "fix" was to turn your speaker on and off while starting the call. In the thread here, only call quality was mentioned.

IN your post, you mention that the antenna is amplified. I am curious as to whether this could actually boost the phones ability to rec/tran for those of us who live on the edge of coverage. Perhaps there is something discussed on that other site adressing this side of the coin? 2.0.1 seems to be working better for me as to quality, I am still working on the "quantity" side.

Thanks,

Craig
  4. Randomocity

Randomocity New Member

This fix has nothing to do with the amplification of the antenna. Basically what you're doing is just changing the codec that the voice data is recorded. Essentially, EVRC is a lower bandwidth codec, and so it uses less data, but doesnt sound quite as good. By switching up to EVRC-B, you're increasing the bitrate of the voice codec and therefore making your calls sound better, but requiring the phone to pump out more data, which is where the battery drain comes from.
  5. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Can anyone comment on just how much of a hit the battery performance will take?
  6. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

Here's where I read the link. No real discussion answering your questions though. Just didn't know if it was cool to post links to other forums. Sorry if it's not ok!
  7. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Random and Gadget,

Thank you for the clarification, and link. I suspected it was only a voice side aid, but I may still give it a try to see if I do get better voice reception at home. I do have other solutions for signal boosting, but they are kinda pricey. If I only knew then what I know now, our house down in a deep valley might not have been purchased.

Craig
  8. Randomocity

Randomocity New Member

Its a shame that Verizon's femtocell is so god awful. If this were any other carrier that'd be my recommendation, but I just cant bring myself to even mention the $250 piece of garbage that verizon produced.
  9. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Well I just changed it to EVRC-B. I'll let yall know if I notice any difference in call quality and battery life.
  10. sian0120

sian0120 New Member

subscribed..!

let us know!
  11. Blackout

Blackout New Member

I just tested this out, and it seems to sound alot nicer, the sound quality is definitely more crisp, I havnt had it on long enough thgh to notice a large drop in battery life, but i cant imagine it creating a larger then 2-3% extra drain on the battery. but only time will tell.
  12. enkryptik

enkryptik New Member

along with call quality changes, what about the data rate? mine is set to the first one but what about the bottom one with equal upload/download?
  13. blu1080

blu1080 New Member

changed it today. seems to do good havent noticed a battery drop.
  14. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
##program android call quality

android app to improve call quality

android call quality app

android increase antenna power

app to improve call quality

call quality menu android
droid razr call quality