Increase Battery Life, status of tests

marcfogel

Reaction score
I know some folks are testing for Kejar and I was wondering has anything been determined? I am getting killed on battery life and was wondering if some kind of relief was coming.

Thanks

Marc

jjj751

Reaction score
Did you turn sysctl on? Because turning it on does noticeably help battery life and performance.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

milan616

Reaction score
kejar's battery fix test resides in the framework, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the next release of Liberty if it really helps people. I'm pretty happy with my phone's battery life at the moment. Light usage (2-ish hours of screen on time) and I'm at 46 hours off charger with 30% to go. That comes from a few things:

• Extended battery
  • Mild undervolting - my phone doesn't take to undervolting or overclocking very well. Just luck of the draw, some phones will go way lower.
  • Very aggressive sysctl and minfree tweaks - Imoseyon's experimental package, though using Tasker instead of cron to schedule the clean up
  • Turning off data and auto-sync from midnight to 7AM via Tasker
I don't do other aggressive things btw. Screen brightness is always on auto, LauncherPro is refreshing my Twitter and Facebook feeds every 30 minutes. The real apps still refresh every 4 hours, mainly because I don't need them as much. All my texts and call log get backed up to Gmail automatically as they come in. Tuning down some of those things could get me to 2.5 days probably.

More aggressive use is still pretty great. 1.5 hours of Monopoly and 4 hours total of screen on time and I still got 26 hours before hitting 20%. 6.5 straight hours of Angry Birds took me from 90% to 20%. The constant generated heat really pushes down the battery life in situations like that.

SuperChargedJ

Reaction score
Did you turn sysctl on? Because turning it on does noticeably help battery life and performance.

I definitely agree with this. After turning this on and doing other battery saving tips I am able to get great battery life. Yesterday, with minimum usage I was able to get 30 hours out of my phone. I took a handful of pictures with Auto brightness on, made phone calls and sent texts. Used Plume & Facebook a bunch of times as well. I recommend using Screebl, Juice defender, and disabling data in the background if it is not needed.

mikex

Reaction score

Are you changing any settings in there or just turning it on?

jjj751

Reaction score

well if you have the most recent liberty toolbox then it will be set on the recommended settings right when you turn it on. Liberty Toolbox updates don't show under "my apps" in market so you will have to do a search in market to see that theres an update and update from there. If you have the most recent Liberty Toolbox then you just go to settings ---> liberty settings ----> sysctl configuration. IMO, you should just install the zip from the website below because it sets the best sysctl settings for you. You don't have to worry about it conflicting with sysctl in Liberty Toolbox because the zip overrides toolbox with it's own settings.

imoseyon: I Got a ZIP (imoseyon mods)

Last edited:

sugarnova

Reaction score
Liberty Toolbox > menu > settings > enable sysctl

Sent from my Liberated DROIDX using DroidForums App

jjj751

Reaction score
How do i install it or add it?

Download the most recent version of the zip from the website of my previous post. Put the zip into the root of your SD card. Bootstrap into recovery using droid x bootstrapper from the market. Open droid x bootstrapper, hit bootstrap recovery then reboot recovery. This will reboot your phone and put you into bootstrap recovery. From there you mount the SD card and then install the zip. after installing just reboot the phone and youre good to go.

jjj751

Reaction score

Setting it from Liberty Settings doesn't always work. I'd recommend the zip files for people who don't which settings to input. The zip will give you the best possible known sysctl settings.

JkdJedi

Reaction score

Setting it from Liberty Settings doesn't always work. I'd recommend the zip files for people who don't which settings to input. The zip will give you the best possible known sysctl settings.
Wheres this zip file? Nevermind...found it, duh.

Last edited:

endlesstony

Reaction score

well if you have the most recent liberty toolbox then it will be set on the recommended settings right when you turn it on. Liberty Toolbox updates don't show under "my apps" in market so you will have to do a search in market to see that theres an update and update from there. If you have the most recent Liberty Toolbox then you just go to settings ---> liberty settings ----> sysctl configuration. IMO, you should just install the zip from the website below because it sets the best sysctl settings for you. You don't have to worry about it conflicting with sysctl in Liberty Toolbox because the zip overrides toolbox with it's own settings.

imoseyon: I Got a ZIP (imoseyon mods)

I attempted to install the liberty dx zip from this link and it completely destroyed my 3g internet connection. Speed test reported 999+ latency and browser and other apps were unable to connect at all. Nandroid backup restore to right before i installed the .zip fixed the connection problem. Anyone else experience this?

kilahimm

Reaction score
I've been running that zip and I haven't experienced any latency or connection issues. There was an issue for some people who used either 4.1 or 4.2 of that zip who where finding that the zipalign at boot was causing connection problems. It has since been commented out.