1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Incorrect picture orientation in mms message

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by AKValle26, Mar 13, 2010.

1. AKValle26

AKValle26 New Member

Here's what happens
    I take a picture holding the phone in portrait mode
    I open said picture in the gallery, and it is correctly oriented (I'm guessing it takes data from tilt-sensor and determines which way the camera was held)
    I select picture and try to send as mms
    In both handcent and stock messaging, the picture is rotated to the left

What I would like to know
    Is there a fix for this/is there a way to rotate the picture in the mms dialog?
    ->I know you can go in, rotate right, and send. But I don't want to have all these incorrectly-rotated pictures in my gallery or worry about rotating them back (this whole thing is a dumb bug and shouldn't be an issue in the first place)

Before anyone says 'search the forums,' I did and only found this:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...-pictures-rotating-sideways-mms-facebook.html
    Which only says it's known and to search the forums (I searched both via search button and through google)
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I agree it's a dumb bug. And I'm not making excuses but I've seen it in my Blackberry Storm and on certain web sites too.

Question is, does it do this to every picture or just one picture? When I've seen it not every picture was affected.
  3. AKValle26

AKValle26 New Member

I did a test, and it's not every picture; rather it's only the pictures taken while the phone is held upright || vs ==
  4. BuzWeaver

BuzWeaver New Member

I've noticed that when you take a picture via the Facebook app it will tilt the image to the left as well.
  5. AKValle26

AKValle26 New Member

So, do anyone know of a fix?
  6. Dandroid247

Dandroid247 New Member

My storm and droid both rotate pics when sending if the pic was taken in the portrait orientation. I just started taking all my pics in landscape now and haven't had the problem since. I feel like I'm being brainwashed into believing that my phone is a camera when taking pics because of the way I have to hold it lol. Anyway that's the only thing I've found that solves the issue for me but if somebody else runs across a different one I would be happy to hear it as well. :motdroidvert:
  7. BuzWeaver

BuzWeaver New Member

Out side of holding the phone in Landscape mode or editing the picture after its taken, I've not seen a solution. Perhaps it will be addressed in 2.1 update?
  8. naalex

naalex New Member

I realize this is an old threat, so I'm posting an explanation of the problem in case someone else is looking for it, because this has been bugging me as well.

The problem is that MMS messages strip out the EXIF data that specifies the orientation of the image. So when you send an MMS message, or upload it to facebook, the application doesn't know the correct orientation for the image.
  9. bradleonard

bradleonard New Member

I am also interested in a solution. It did not get fixed with 2.1 or 2.2. Who do we need to complain to get this problem fixed?

My phone more often saves picture taken in portrait (phone vertical) with the incorrect orientation that it does in landscape, but it definitely does it in Landscape also.

I beleive you are into something regarding EXIF data, but I have not seen any other info about fixing the EXIF data.
Search tags for this page
android rotates picture in message
android texting wrong picture
galaxy s3 rotates pictures go sms

go sms picture orientation

go sms pro pic sideways when sending
go sms pro turns pictures mms
go sms theme with picture orientation
hancent rotates pictures

handcent rotates pictures

how to fix pictures that are always sideways on handcent app
how to picture rotate on handcent sms