Inches do matter to some

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
article-2267340-171FC961000005DC-730_634x353.jpg

Is this lawsuit against subway justified?

Ill post my thoughts after this post.

Source: Subway starts measuring 'footlong' subs in response to lawsuit

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
UBcEvl.jpg

One of the many freedoms we have in this country are our branches of governments whether it be judicial, legislative, or executive. We can argue one way or another about how they lean to favor one side or another but we are going to avoid politics here plus in all honesty I have heard both sides of the fence of the same argument claim they were not represented enough but we will allow you guys to debate that somewhere else.

On the judicial front we do need the freedom to challenge big corporations, especially when they know they have an issue with something of safety (ie seat belts) and sweep it under the rug. But in this case that is not the issue. Now I understand people want to make sure they are getting what they paid for but to go to war over an inch of bread is comical. If subway was telling you it was a foot long and it ended up being 8 inches then that would be something to complain over. But that one inch can be a result of the bread being crushed, shrinkage from the cooking process, or because the sandwich maker mishandled the bread. Either way this is one of those lawsuits that I laugh at and hope they throw out of court. I mean to hold up other court cases over an inch of bread is ......well the American way.
Obviously this was settled out of court with the only thing being paid was attorney fees and court costs, in other words a complete waste of time.

In all seriousness is this a case you think was worth fighting for?

I mean are we really going with the "give an inch and they will take a mile" thought process here?

Though I have limited my subway intake by a lot over the past few weeks (down to 0) I would not be a happy camper if I was in the long line during lunch hour and some dude is in line demanding the sandwich maker whip out a tape measure. I know for a fact that on the east coast (Philly, New York, Pittsburg or Jersey) pulling a stunt like that in a sandwich shop will get you hurt, if not by the owner chasing you out with a bat, the people behind you throwing blows. Sandwich shops on the east coast you better know what you want when they call on you or they will skip you and go to the next man as they gotta keep the line moving.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When I worked for Subway as a teenager in 1997, I loved it. I was proud. The quality of their food then was second to none. They had their vegetables delivered daily. Their meat was never stored more than a day or two.

However, they've succumbed to mediocrity. I always choose Blimpie over Subway anymore.

This would be as simple as adding a measuring tape under the cutting board. While I wouldn't pursue something like this, it's still false advertisement.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
They could easy add "size prior to baking," like they do with burgers. You order a half pound burger somewhere, its generally a half pound, weighed before cooking.

Or, some variance in our freshly baked bread lengths may occur.

Or 6 inch & foot long sizes estimated.

Or, just do away with 6 inch & foot long names. Whole or half? Done.

Personally, I've never even considered measuring a sub from subway. I think this is ridiculous. Like you, if it was a huge difference of getting 8 when you order 12, maybe, but I still wouldn't go as far as any legal action. I'd ask to speak with the manager or franchise owner & request compensation. Or just stop eating there. We've got a few local sub shops that are better value anyway, aside from being local businesses.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, I have found myself going to more mom and pop businesses. Nowadays you get better service as they know they are having to compete with brand name corps. Maybe back in the day they would have been proud to tell someone to take their business elsewhere but now they want you to keep you business there as they are down the street from a Walmart and all the major fast food chains.

Mom and pop businesses their product and service rep their name so they are going to protect their name in their business (the people that have pride that is).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I can't lie, I go to Subway more often than the mom & pop shops here, but that's mostly because it's so close to my house. Takes longer to get my sandwich made than it does to walk there & back.

But I try to ship local. Community is important in this little town.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Subway has recently found my small city here in Thailand. I must say it was a welcome event for me. I do visit Subway at least once a week. Then again, there is nothing like it here in Thailand...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
We finally got a Thai place here in town. Tried a dish with rice. Need to pick a curry dish next. Maybe I'll do that for lunch tomorrow...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Inches matter...ask jarred...ouch...anyhow..there are so many sandwich places and I stay out of all of them trying to look better...Jimmy Johns, firehouse, subway, and the mom n pop shops...I'm really looking at Jimmy Johns and firehouse...

As far as restaurants.. I really miss taco Johns...next time I'm in an area with one...you can bet I'll hit it up...around Christmas.. A hot plate of nachos navidad and snow falling...simpler times...lol

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
If this lawsuit flies, I recommend a class action lawsuit for every homeowner who bought a house after ~ 1960. Cause every "2x4" used to build the house is not 2x4. Roughly 1.5x3.5.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If this lawsuit flies, I recommend a class action lawsuit for every homeowner who bought a house after ~ 1960. Cause every "2x4" used to build the house is not 2x4. Roughly 1.5x3.5.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Lowes already got nailed for this..cutting corners..

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Their problem is that they coined their sandwhiches as foot longs. Change the wording.

I don't know if any of you remember how large a whopper and a big Mac were back in the day, but they aren't nearly as large now.

Maybe this will keep subway from shrinking their sandwhich down to a rediculous size like all other fast food joints are.